The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-06-2020, 09:18 AM

IMHO having the steady uninterrupted tempo with the desired beat forces the person to concentrate on the rhythm. This could be a metronome, drum machine, or software like "Band in a Box".

For technique exercises I use a metronome or drum machine. When playing with a tune, I usually use "Band in a Box". I also use "The Amazing Slow Downer" to practice. It (i.e. ASD) does quite a bit, but I mainly use it to loop tunes and/or exercises, and have the software automatically change the tempo by a designated percentage. I want to keep my hands free when I am playing.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
Please assume I know nothing because I know nothing. What's a good way to practice with a metronome? Do I do my usual practice with it on? Do I have to do a certain tempo. Do I need to switch tempo on it during the practice?
Thanks for your help.
A good way to practice with a metronome is to play SIGNIFICANTLY slower than usual. This can expose all kinds of timing and precision issues that were difficult to hear at a faster tempo. If you've never used a metronome, you most likely will be shocked at how variable your tempo sense is.

As far as changing the tempo - I'd advise start SLOW and subsequently raise the tempo until you notice your time getting wobbly. For example: song tempo is 120 bpm. Start at 80, play the song. Raise tempo to 90, play again. Then 100. Rinse and repeat, listening for signs of leading or lagging the metronome.

I prefer to use a metronome when first learning a piece or a part that is challenging. I know that if it is challenging, then it's highly likely I will - consciously or unconsciously - gloss over it and take a shortcut. And to me, unlearning those shortcuts is both difficult and a waste of time.

The longer you use a metronome, the less you will need it. Your internal time sense will grow.

And ignore anyone who discourages your use of a metronome. I have met over a hundred musicians in my life who claim to have great time without ever using a metronome. They actually ALL had poor to mediocre time, all of them (a few actually claimed to be drummers!). I have yet to play with ANYONE with good time who didn't use a metronome at some point AND didn't spend a lot of focused time on improving their time sense.

Of all types of musicians, guitarists seem the worst at having good time to me. Maybe it's because the self-taught path is so much more dominant and accepted than other instruments.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-10-2020, 04:41 PM

Wow it took me umpteen tries over three days to make 60bpm of crosspicking Interstate rag sound in synch with my metronome. Going slow is HARD. In the 70 to 80 range it was way easier...go figure.

To be fair this is my first attempt at pure crosspicking but I`m determined to get this up to speed and everyone tells me to have it nailed real slow before learning it wrong and burying the mistakes at higher speed. I figured I had pretty good time,,turns out I do but it drifts when I trying to hard.

I guess the real test is being able to nail it live. Time will tell.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write