The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Cordoba Guild?

Surprisingly (or maybe not?), conversation here about the new Cordoba Guilds has been pretty light. I’ve been gassing for a 12 string, and I’m 99% sure it will be a Guild, although my primary target will likely be a used New Hartford or Tacoma model.

But I’d like to hear more about the new ones. Some seem pretty expensive. Are they selling many of the USA guitars? Who has played them and what are your thoughts?

For all the moving and changing - and with a few specific exceptions - I think the consistent quality of USA Guild guitars is almost a miracle. I even think the guitars I’ve played from Corona were good. I have a sweet Tacoma-made DV4. Nice inexpensive guitar!

I’d like to try the new ones. I haven’t seen them anywhere yet.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:02 PM

I can't speak to the 12-strings, but I've played the M-20 and really enjoyed it. I'm waiting for a nice deal on a used one before I pull the trigger, but it's on my short list.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:37 PM

Default Cordova Guilds

The US made Guilds are great guitars. The Let's Talk Guild forum might be a better place to ask this question.

But I think you're on the right track looking for a New Hartford 12. Those were great guitars, literally the benchmark for 12 strings!
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 11-17-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
The US made Guilds are great guitars. The Let's Talk Guild forum might be a better place to ask this question.

But I think you're on the right track looking for a New Hartford 12. Those were great guitars, literally the benchmark for 12 strings!
I like Guild guitars a lot. I have one, have owned three others, and plan to buy another in the near future. But I guess I’ve noticed they aren’t getting much notice here. This is a more general guitar forum, and the lack of conversation about the new ones here has me wondering if the latest incarnation of USA Guild guitars isn’t catching on. I don’t know.

I’ve tried several times to register for LTG. I know they had some issues. But all my attempts to register have failed and I’ve lost interest. I’m more interested in what people here think anyway since this is more guitar enthusiasts than Guild enthusiasts.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

I have not had the chance to play the California built 12 strings as of YET? The newer Oxnard,Ca. Guilds are far lighter than previous iterations.
My D40 Traditional is as light as my Santa Cruz Vintage Artist and as responsive and big on tone. The D55 is as it should be the Cadillac of American guitars. Big gutsy and bold ! The fit and finish is as good as I’ve seen on many of the boutique builds.. The main factor here is that there far lighter and more responsive than the ones I’ve played from the past. My first new high end guitar back in the mid 70’s was a 1975 Guild D25. Just about everyone who played it loved it. It was heavy though.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:45 PM

I played a hog Guild last week. It was light, and I could feel the back of the guitar vibrating against my body like I've never felt before - very responsive.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:16 PM

We in the Guild fan base took a " wait and see " approach to this newest place that builds Guilds. They brought a LOT of the old machinery from New Hartford, which I think is some cases was machinery all the way from Westerly. The arch back press is one I know of. The first guitars were the lower end ones, like a D-25. Then they slowly started making the higher end ones. I guess they wanted to practice on the easier to make ones. With each new guitar, we all wait to see videos and reviews. For the most part, they have all been positive. There are some good reviews at the Guild web site already mentioned. All the high end instruments have proven to be well made and sound like a Guild should.

We did not get on board with some of the model name changes. The F-412 maple 12 string should be called that, not the F-512 Maple. The new off shore guitars now called the " Westerly Series " we feel confuses the identification with older guitars made IN Westerly.

Ren Ferguson was working at Guild toward the end of the New Hartford era and designed the layout of the factory at the Cordoba facility. I think his influence can be heard and felt in the newest guitars. I haven't played any, at this point. OK, I did at a Sam Ash but they were RIGHT in front of the whole room humidifier and every single one had corroded strings because of the wall of damp air being blown at them. I don't count that.

The thing that does seem to hold true is that no matter WHERE the Guild you see was made, they ALL sound and play really well. No Norlin years, like Gibson, no CBS years like Fender, no quality slipping with misplaced bridges, like Martin.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 11-18-2019, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Chuck,

I've had my F-55e for about two months and love it! Surprisingly responsive for such a big guitar. I'm really impressed with the quality and sound. If they decide to make the 12 string maple in sunburst, I may weaken considerably. PM me if you'd like to play it as I'm in the PDX area.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:42 AM

I have had a Westerly made D-40 (unfortunately lost after some kind of an accident), and currently owns a NH F-30 (it's like an OM format -slightly bigger-), but I haven't played any of the new ones...
However I've been exchanging quite a lot on the "Lets Talk Guild" forum, receive Guild's newslette, listen to as many reviews as I can, read about them quite often, and so forth...
My overal impression is that the guys who bought the make do know about guitar making, are aware of the value of the make, and respect it. New guitars look like they can compete with many others from previous building locations : we'd have to wait a bit to know if they are really there, but it seems like the guitars do sound like Guilds. I've been rather impressed by their 12 strings and didn't hear much to say against them.
My only regret if any, would be that whereas Guild has been known as making quality guitars that were less expensive than the most famous makes, like Martin or Gibson, their prices these days are more like these or Taylor's...

Last edited by Bernieman; 11-18-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:51 AM

I’ve played a couple of the new guitars.
The USA made ones are very good.
I can’t compare, as Guild guitars were, till recently, “hen’s teeth” in this area.
I wasn’t initially jazzed by the Chinese guitars.
However, I recently bought a F2512.
It had some definite problems. I believe they were related to former owner(s).

Now that I’ve had its issues put right, I love the guitar.
I love it enough that I’m considering finding its six string mate.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-18-2019, 11:54 AM

I have the F1215, and I like it a lot. It did need a good setup, but once that was done, it's been great.

Plays really good and it's loud,, dare I say.... a canon.

If you have any specific questions, let me know..
Old 11-18-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake17 View Post
Chuck,

I've had my F-55e for about two months and love it! Surprisingly responsive for such a big guitar. I'm really impressed with the quality and sound. If they decide to make the 12 string maple in sunburst, I may weaken considerably. PM me if you'd like to play it as I'm in the PDX area.
Great to hear! With the holidays coming, my time is pretty tight with family. Good to meet AGF people in Portland though. I will keep this in mind.

It is interesting that so few AGF people have had actual hands-on experience with USA Cordoba Guilds. I do hope they succeed.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:18 PM

I purchased a new F-512 three months ago. Impressive guitar in every respect and I am well pleased.

My review and impressions are here.

Good luck on your search.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cordoba, guild