The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-02-2013, 11:28 PM

Default Godin Acoustic 5th Avenue

Does any one have any experience with the Godin Acoustic 5th Avenue Archtop, I need a big body acoustic and I am curious about these. I read a review that said it sounded "tinny" but that may have been the strings. Right now I play a beat up Harmony H1215 that needs a new neck, frets are beat up as well. So rather than pay for a restoration I would like a new acoustic archtop instead and the Godins seem to be the "budget" archtop now a days. I need it to play rhythm and occasional leads. So any experiences you would like to share?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlos View Post
Does any one have any experience with the Godin Acoustic 5th Avenue Archtop, I need a big body acoustic and I am curious about these. I read a review that said it sounded "tinny" but that may have been the strings. Right now I play a beat up Harmony H1215 that needs a new neck, frets are beat up as well. So rather than pay for a restoration I would like a new acoustic archtop instead and the Godins seem to be the "budget" archtop now a days. I need it to play rhythm and occasional leads. So any experiences you would like to share?
I was under impression that Loar is a budget archtop these days.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:30 AM

I owned one of the 5th Avenue cutaways. I had an itch for a hollow body and still kick myself for selling the two Gibson ES 175's that I've owned over the years. Didn't want to shell out the bucks for a used one so I bought the 5th Avenue.

My opinion is that it is a great guitar for the money but not a great guitar. I found it lacking some of the tone I was looking for and after using it for a few gigs and scratching the hollow body itch, I sold the guitar.

My advice is to play on e and if you like the sound, buy it. Godin makes good stuff.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 10-03-2013, 07:46 AM

I have one and I am very satisfied with it. A set of D'Adderio Flat Top strings did wonders. Go with a larger size that you normally use as this will help really drive the top.

My one complaint is that the bridge doesn't sit perfect on the top, but that wasn't anything a few minutes with a piece of sandpaper could not fix.

Fit and finish were great. Sounds pretty good too.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 AM

For an acoustic archtop, the Loar is really a much better sounding guitar, especially if you can spend a few more bucks and get a LH-600 which is a solid carved top and solid back and sides...the Godin has a certain "pawn shop Harmony" kind of charm to it, but the Loars are a really fine sounding acoustic archtop.

The Godins really excel as electric guitars with a great vintage vibe to the sound...Charlie Christian on a shoestring budget tone.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-03-2013, 03:06 PM

I own both the acoustic and cutaway electric versions and I'll ditto Eric, in that a set of heavier strings makes all the difference in the world in terms of tone (I'm presently running .014 PB's on the acoustic and .013 flats on the electric). As far as bridge fit is concerned, pop $20 or so for a Stew-Mac replacement; not only is it a better fit (those guys are uncanny - I've used them on four different archtops and gotten a near-perfect fit every time) but it's like day-and-night in terms of tone (those GraphTech bridges are a good complement to the P-90's on the electrics - give the top end some crispness and air - but real tone-killers on the acoustic). I'll also agree with Jeff on the Loar LH-600 as being superior in terms of both tone and construction (both of which come at a significantly higher price), but be forewarned that the neck is honest-to-Eddie Lang, 1920's-vintage accurate thick/wide V-shape; IMO the flat-oval Godin profile is faster and more comfortable to play for long periods without cramping - YMMV...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 10-03-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 PM

My wife gave me a nice rosewood bridge last christmas. Wonderful acoustic improvement for the Kingpin. So much so that I usually play it through a Fishman Mini. I've yet to go through the string excercise... One-o-these days.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 PM

I respectfully disagree on the Loars... I have played several, no sale.

I prefer the 5th Ave. It pretends to be nothing, it is its own animal.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:09 PM

What exactly is the Loar pretending to be, other than an acoustic archtop?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:43 PM

I owned a Godin 5th Avenue - with one pickup - and agree with Mr Beaumont that it sounded better electrified than it did just acoustic. Not that it was terrible when not amplified, but to my ears, its laminated top lacked any complexity of tone. And that P90 was a lot of fun too.

That said, I chose it over the Loars I played in the similar price range. They looked very pretty, but just sounded somewhat choked or muffled compared with the Godin. Many factors could have played into my side by side audition, obviously, so take that FWIW.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:17 AM

I have a 5th Avenue as well. I bought it used, it was one of the earlier production units. It came with a rosewood bridge, I assume it was an aftermarket addition.

It does sound alot different than my other guitars, which I view as a plus. I'm not sure I would choose it as a one and only guitar. Since it does have a different sound, it makes for a nice change from my other guitars (all flat tops).

I find it's looks and physical dimensions make it a true pleasure to play. I wouldn't call it a cannon, but it does suit me for personal entertainment.

Even though it was used, it was in mint condition and I bought it for $300 so I'm very happy with the value it provides.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 AM

Godin is a good guitar for the money. I played one & liked it.

Made in Canada too.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:43 AM

The Loar pretends to be a Loar.

Mr Obvious

The reason MusicLink is using the Loar name is because Greg Rich, who was with Saga , and previously Gibson, bought and owned the LOAR trademark.
Greg Rich is Music Link's chief "designer" speccer outer.

My guess is that if the guitar was not called LOAR, the sales numbers would drop like a rock.

The early 5th Avenues had rosewood bridges until some genius bean counter decided to have them cast from plastic. Too bad they did not fit them to the top.

Even the original rosewood bridges were not fitted.

Plastic or rosewood, the guitar benefits from fitting the bridge to the top.

I changed the plastic ones out for Stew Macs ... one rosewood, one ebony. Both were better than the plastic.

Godin insisted they did electronic sonic testing to conclude the plastic was better. Right.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Save your money and wait for a Gibson L7.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
The Loar pretends to be a Loar.

Mr Obvious

The reason MusicLink is using the Loar name is because Greg Rich, who was with Saga , and previously Gibson, bought and owned the LOAR trademark.
Greg Rich is Music Link's chief "designer" speccer outer.

My guess is that if the guitar was not called LOAR, the sales numbers would drop like a rock.

The early 5th Avenues had rosewood bridges until some genius bean counter decided to have them cast from plastic. Too bad they did not fit them to the top.

Even the original rosewood bridges were not fitted.

Plastic or rosewood, the guitar benefits from fitting the bridge to the top.

I changed the plastic ones out for Stew Macs ... one rosewood, one ebony. Both were better than the plastic.

Godin insisted they did electronic sonic testing to conclude the plastic was better. Right.
Have you actually played one?

My guess is that anyone who's in a market specific enough to need a vintage styled, parallel braced solid wood archtop knows enough about this style of guitar that they're not swayed by something as silly as a name.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops