The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM

Default Sketch 9 (Kraut OM BRW)

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted anything in a while -- but I have been working on a new original piece which features a progressive theme along with a few scale runs. I borrowed 3-4 chords from a previous improvisation I posted and added new parts around it.

So here it is, in sketch form: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...9-kraut-om-brw

The recording is a first take and there's some improvisation and a few glitches here and there. A cleaner version with an appropriate title will be available on my upcoming album due for release in 201?...

I used the Kraut for this recording. I tried a bunch of other guitars but the Kraut sounded best for the melody I had in my head.

As always, your feedback is welcome. Any (reasonable) suggestion for a title will also be considered...

Thanks for listening!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 PM
AGF Administrator

An album? Excellent. Count me as a future customer (and current fan). I don't think I have anything meaningful or constructive to add other than that I really enjoyed it and that I am impressed by your playing and composition skill. I particularly liked the change around the 3:19 mark.

Beautiful piece, Mau.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 AM

Mau,
Very beautiful playing (as always) and the Kraut sounds wonderful in your hands. I'm never sure how to interpret solo finger style pieces since they are so personal to the composer but this seems to me to go from melancholy to hopeful. Very beautiful song.

Willie

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 AM

I'd call it 'Overcome', as in the struggles of daily life. To me, the song does'nt really describe 'a life', but maybe a 'day in someones life'. After hearing it and reading the other comments, "melancholy", is a good description. When closing my eyes and pairing it up to some of my days, it seems like I struggle through them, and the end of the day comes when I have to lay my head down on my pillow. The "problem" (and/or struggles) most likely hasn't necessarily subsided (or been resolved), but the ever present struggle to 'keep going' comes to mind while hearing this piece. Like the mentioned change at 3:21, thats like where I can lay my head down on my pillow to get rested up to start another day tomorrow, 'problems' and all. Well done, clean it up a little and put it out.

Thanks.

Hope you have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 PM

Hauntingly beautiful and moving composition Mau. Looking forward to hearing when it's fully formed.

I humbly offer "Wanderlust" as a title as the moving nature of the song brought that term to mind.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, well done, once again. What a beautiful sound you are able to make with 6 strings, Mau... I really enjoy listening to your stuff.

For a title, how about "The Missing Sock..." Just kidding! I am the worst for coming up with names for instrumentals.

- Glenn
Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 PM

Beautiful and very moving, Mau. As I wrote on SoundCloud, I wish I could "sketch" like that!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Wow, Really amazing tune and so well played.

Bud
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Wow is right.

I play around with guitars but you JoeCharter are a guitar player.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
An album? Excellent. Count me as a future customer (and current fan). I don't think I have anything meaningful or constructive to add other than that I really enjoyed it and that I am impressed by your playing and composition skill. I particularly liked the change around the 3:19 mark.

Beautiful piece, Mau.
Thanks, Jeremy.

I've been neglecting my guitar playing lately and I think it shows on this recording.

I really wanted to share this new piece though and I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
Mau,
Very beautiful playing (as always) and the Kraut sounds wonderful in your hands. I'm never sure how to interpret solo finger style pieces since they are so personal to the composer but this seems to me to go from melancholy to hopeful. Very beautiful song.

Willie
Melancholy and hope sounds about right, Willie.

I really need to get out of my comfort zone and write a happy composition some day...

Thanks for listening!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
I'd call it 'Overcome', as in the struggles of daily life. To me, the song does'nt really describe 'a life', but maybe a 'day in someones life'. After hearing it and reading the other comments, "melancholy", is a good description. When closing my eyes and pairing it up to some of my days, it seems like I struggle through them, and the end of the day comes when I have to lay my head down on my pillow. The "problem" (and/or struggles) most likely hasn't necessarily subsided (or been resolved), but the ever present struggle to 'keep going' comes to mind while hearing this piece. Like the mentioned change at 3:21, thats like where I can lay my head down on my pillow to get rested up to start another day tomorrow, 'problems' and all. Well done, clean it up a little and put it out.

Thanks.

Hope you have a great day.

Kevin.
What a great analysis, Kevin. It almost seems like you read my mind here.

Thank you for listening.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Hauntingly beautiful and moving composition Mau. Looking forward to hearing when it's fully formed.

I humbly offer "Wanderlust" as a title as the moving nature of the song brought that term to mind.
Thank you, Steve.

I actually had a French title in mind that is very close to what you suggested.

I recently saw an old lady friend of mine who I had travelled with a few years ago -- and that's how this piece came about.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Very nice, well done, once again. What a beautiful sound you are able to make with 6 strings, Mau... I really enjoy listening to your stuff.

For a title, how about "The Missing Sock..." Just kidding! I am the worst for coming up with names for instrumentals.

- Glenn
As a guy who mostly played electric guitar solos for 20 years, I'm myself amazed at being able to write solo guitar pieces. It's something I could only dream about a few years ago.

Thank you for your encouragement, Glenn. "The Missing Sock" works for me! LOL
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Beautiful and very moving, Mau. As I wrote on SoundCloud, I wish I could "sketch" like that!
Thanks so much, Bob!

Sketching is my most productive way of writing music. I used to write everything down (classical style) but I find I tend to write more original material when I just let it flow.

I'll rehearse the main parts and think of the overall structure before I hit "record" -- but otherwise everything is done on the fly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell