The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-02-2013, 08:34 PM

Question Taylor electrics vs ???

How do Taylor solid body electrics compare to other brands? Tone quality? Neck? Intonation?? Thx

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

I just bought and subsequently sold a gorgeous Walnut chambered solidbody. It had the mini HD humbuckers. Loved the look, loved the sound. It had more of a "fat", almost semi-hollow body tone to my ear, and it is a sound I really, really like. You can get thick and dirty with overdrive, and smooth and jazzy as well. I would have liked more single-coil options, because the 5-way switch doesn't get you all the way there. Still, overall, it was a really nice guitar.

However, I could not adjust to the neck. It must have been a bit thin, narrow and, for me, flatter than I was comfortable with. The combination had the high "e" string cutting into the knuckle crease of my fretting hand, especially when playing barre chords and sliding from chord to chord. It was so uncomfortable for me that I simply put it back in its case. I really wanted to love it, but just couldn't get comfortable.

Traded it for a Vox HDC-77, which is a very interesting and comfortable instrument. It doesn't sound quite as nice to me as the Taylor, but it is very easy to play. Need to put new strings on, but overall, enjoying it.

That being said, depending on the options you're looking for, if I were to buy another guitar, it would ba Carvin Bolt, specifically with three of their twinblade single-coil sized humbuckers. I've got the Les Paul sound covered, and really like the sound of the Bolt with those pickups. Pretty Strat-like, and I love the option they give you of having an "always on" toggle for the bridge pickup so you can put the bridge pickup on, swing the 5-way all the way up to the neck position and get both bridge and neck for some very Tele-like sound as well. I think that would be a very versatile instrument. You'd be in the $1200 range if you added a lot of options, but they have a "Guitar-in-Stock" of this configuration that I keep staring at (Green, so if you like that color...) and it comes in at just under $1000.

Hope this info is helpful!! In short, wanted to love the Taylor, loved the tone, couldn't get comfortable with the neck. Your handprint may be different, so you'll need to test it out. I'm a rounder-neck kind of guy.

What are you looking for in an electric, and what's your rough budget?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusaw View Post
How do Taylor solid body electrics compare to other brands? Tone quality? Neck? Intonation?? Thx
Depends on the Taylor model and what you're comparing it to.

Tone is subjective. You like it or you don't.

As Mike said, the necks aren't for everyone. I love a flat fretboard and really dig the neck of my T5.

I find the intonation to be good. Keep in mind that as the neck moves or if strings are changed, the intonation can also change.

Lots of folks REALLY hate Taylor's electrics. Fairly polarizing. Probably best to try out first if possible.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 AM

It was fun and and interesting to try them when my best local Taylor dealer stocked them but none did anything to make want to write a check. This includes trying the T3 models.

I got into electrics long after acoustics and don't have the tribal brand loyalty many have which makes it easier to try and enjoy different stuff. I can't explain why but I like PRS more than other new comers even though many PRS aren't aimed at the sort of tone I enjoy.

To me you must try them because there are so many great products competing and it's great that we don't have just 2-3 shoes to fit all.

Dave's dropped $250 on this one listed as EC+.

http://davesguitar.com/products/tayl...dy-classic-07/
Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 PM

Do you ever see them being played in concert? I'm not sure I ever have. That would concern me as a buyer.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-04-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Do you ever see them being played in concert? I'm not sure I ever have. That would concern me as a buyer.
It seems like some instruments played and products used in a concert are because of the sponsorship and business so I could think somebody playing an electric Taylor in a concert could be just like somebody playing one of the Fender or Gibson brands.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
If I weren't a bassist, I'd gladly gig with my T5.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Prusaw - I have been VERY impressed by every Taylor electric that I've held in my hands, from my own T-5 to the couple of solidbody models I've played to the T-3...

I suppose the price point is a bit high for many folks, but to my eyes, ears and hands, EVERY aspect of the Taylor electrics beats any Gibson or Fender I have ever played! The finish is superb, the necks are VERY accurate and smooth, and the electronics are wonderful... not a guitar to buy if one wants to "modify" it, as Taylor's pick-ups are their own and probably won't "play well" with others... but I really can't imagine a player NOT being able to get great tones from their pick-ups.

As a few have mentioned, the necks may not feel right for everyone. Personally, I loved the necks. I had the chance to play/keep a solidbody walnut Custom for about 6 months, on loan from a friend; I REALLY liked that guitar, but in the end, I just didn't feel comfortable with the body shape against my belly/chest...

I also loved the T-3 that I played... but buying one of those would nearly duplicate what I have in my Gibson ES-345, that's been modified severely... the Taylor intonation/fretboard is FAR more accurate than any Gibson that you'll pull off the wall, by the way...

As far as not seeing anyone playing them on stage? Well, I don't know; how often do you go out to hear live music? I imagine there are a decent number of Taylor electrics out there in service... I also know that many of the "big" names have deals with Fender or Gibson. That, plus the dynamic of all the classic music that's been made with Fenders and Gibsons kind of lead people to those brands... although, in my experience, both of those companies have been coasting on past success for a LONG TIME...

If you like the neck profile on the Taylor electric guitars, you will love them! All of my praise for the Taylors is contingent upon a good set-up, though; with my T-5, I immediately put 11s on it, as the shorter scale of the guitar had the 10s feeling really slinky to me. I do believe that all the Taylor electrics are shorter scale than either Fender or Gibson...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-04-2013, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the advice, all! I really do love Taylor necks (especially the older ones) so I think I'd like to try a Taylor solid body (actually I was very tempted to go for the one that just got traded), but I think I might go into guitar center and play a bunch of electrics before I pull the trigger. It'd be a fun date :-)

Any of you have experience with a Carvin electric? That's what I've been borrowing and I really like it...

Leonardo da Vinci
Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
1) I believe this logic is flawed and doesn't truly strengthen the unstated premise that Taylor solid body guitars are not as good quality as other brands.
2) I have seen professional musicians with solid body Taylor guitars. I won't spend time on YouTube trying to prove the point because of my statement in #1

As far as Carvin guiitars go, they are great guitars. I have played a few and they play and sound great. At the end of the day, it will come to your personal preference. I believe if you are buying new you don't have anything to worry about. Just make sure that the guitar is setup to your liking and that it carries a good warranty. The rest if personal preference and opinion.

FYI - I was really wanting a T3 but ended up with a modified semi-hollow that I couldn't pass up. I also played a few solid bodies and I enjoyed how different they were. I think it's really cool how you can switch the entire pickguard including the pickups to get different combinations (read: versatility).
Old 03-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Hey Pete, too bad you didn't pull the trigger! You could have had my Taylor and I could have gotten my Bolt!!

Carvins, I think they are some of the most nicely finished guitars I have seen and played. The finish on the necks are incredibly smooth and they are very, very easy to play. I own the AE185 in a gorgeous Purple Flame, weighing in at under 6 1/2 lbs. I think I mentioned it in your classified post. It is much darker than the Carvin photo shoot shows, as I think they use some pretty intense lighting, but here's a picture.

The actual original listing is at http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/68671

It will also be for sale as I have the semi-hollow covered in the HDC 77, and I have a custom guitar on the way that will have Piezo and Midi, And I also have a Fender Deluxe Power Strat with Piezo, so the AE 185 is redundant.

I'd ask $800 including shipping and PP fees, in the original Carvin hard case. If you're interested at all, let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

Last edited by mikealpine; 03-06-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Fogot to mention the case...
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusaw View Post
Thanks for the advice, all! I really do love Taylor necks (especially the older ones) so I think I'd like to try a Taylor solid body (actually I was very tempted to go for the one that just got traded), but I think I might go into guitar center and play a bunch of electrics before I pull the trigger. It'd be a fun date :-)

Any of you have experience with a Carvin electric? That's what I've been borrowing and I really like it...
If you like the Carvin, I see little to no reason to get anything other than a Carvin of your own.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM

I played a bunch of electrics yesterday and really really liked the les paul's. Unless there's an option that really moves me, I'm heading in that direction. Still haven't had a chance to play a Taylor electric...

Leonardo da Vinci
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

You certainly can't go wrong with a Les Paul! Let us know what you get!!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 03-06-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
You certainly can't go wrong with a Les Paul! Let us know what you get!!
My only gripe is the fragile headstock. Seen more than a few beheadings in my guitar shop and way more online.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars