The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-05-2010, 08:29 AM

Default A little info please

I've been playing guitar in metal bands for around 15 years but circumstances changed (band split up) and I've had an epiphany: I saw Trace Bundy play in a bar in Glasgow (Scotland) recently and he blew my mind. I'd never seen acoustic guitar played like that before. I went on to find out that "fingerstyle" is what I would like to hear more of and learn so I've been busily learning his Dueling Ninja tune and getting lessons off youtube.

Question I'd like to ask: Can anyone recommend me more guitarists in a similar vein to TB? I have no idea how to identify them or even where to look.

Mega thanks for any info,
Steve
Old 01-05-2010, 02:08 PM

Hi Steve,

I am not very familiar with Trace Bundy, but if fingerstyle is your interest, here are a few greats.

Tommy Emmanuel
Laurence Juber
Doyle Dykes
Stephen Bennett
Richard Smith
Doug Smith
Pat Donhue
Bruce Mathiske
Joe Robinson
Buster B Jones
and of course - Chet Atkins

And for a little taste of electric acoustic - Monty Mongomery

I am sure others will chime in with many more. I think you will find the challenges of fingerstyle very rewarding. I love it when I hear stories of converts.

Best Regards,
Christian Reno
Old 01-05-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
I am not very familiar with Trace Bundy, but if fingerstyle is your interest, here are a few greats.
Christian,

Trace Bundy is yet another tapping virtuoso. I really wish those guys would come up with a better term than "fingerstyle" which already is expected to cover about half a dozen mutually-exclusive categories of playing technique.

Steve,

Welcome to the forum and you might try searching our archives for a term other than "fingerstyle". About once a week a topic will get started on one of the numerous artists well known for tapping rhythmically on the guitar. Very popular stuff, especially among those under 40 or so. But not always referred to as "fingerstyle".

P.S. The easiest search term to start with with is the name "candyrat". You might also try "mckee".
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-05-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Trace Bundy is yet another tapping virtuoso. I really wish those guys would come up with a better term than "fingerstyle" which already is expected to cover about half a dozen mutually-exclusive categories of playing technique.
Hi Brent,

I guess that would explain why I am not familiar with the name. I can appreciate the tapping technique and I was a Stanley Jordan fan years ago, but I find it too repetitive in overall sound and it eventually bugged me enough that I quit listening to the style all together.

Just as a side note to this, when I was a teenager, Lonnie Mack came to my hometown and did a workshop (but they weren't called that back then) for Gibson guitars. One of the sales gimmicks he used was to show how "sensitive" gibson pickups were by playing Little Drummer Boy. He bounced his left hand for the barrre chords and tapped the melody with his right. Even the teenagers in the audience knew that you could do that with any guitar, but we were in awe of the bluesman and didn't say a word.

Regards,
Christian
Old 01-05-2010, 04:06 PM

Go to youtube and search for
Thomas Leeb
Eric Roche
Jon Gomm

You'll find lots of links to others too...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the info - def checking some of these guys out.

Like I said I am completely new to acoustic guitar and have no idea about names for different styles so the help in definitely appreciated!

Cheers again,
Steve
Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 PM

A bunch of good choices were already mentioned by Christian in the second post above; but here are a few more good ones:

Andy McKee
El McMeen
Masa Sumide
Pat Kirtley
Pete Huttlinger

There are also Larry Pattis and Howard Emerson. They are also both members of this forum; and have been known and respected by people in the business for years.

Last edited by 15 Man; 01-07-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:53 PM

Steve,

Be sure to check out Michael Hedges on Youtube. Start with Aerial Boundaries, but watch others as well to see some of his non-traditional techniques. He played almost exclusively in alternate tunings.

By the way, I'll be seeing Trace Bundy with Sungha Jung tomorrow in San Francisco. Can't wait. While you're at it, check out Sungha's playing on Youtube, as well. He's a 14 year-old virtuoso from South Korea.

Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write