The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-08-2024, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L50EF15 View Post
See this link re “coaxing the velvet out.” It’s a great demonstration of the technique and shows the contrast with the flattop/bluegrass technique that often gives people the idea that archtops are harsh sounding. In fact, an L12 is played in the clip:

https://youtu.be/EOaXOXE9ITg?si=DnaB5aAOqo4Xc2w5

I agree with you on the Telecaster comparison. That’s exactly how I described my L Jr. when picked near the bridge. It’s there but a little less trebly on my L50, probably because I keep it strung with flatwounds. Then again, as I understand it, the early Teles were shipped with flatwounds. Anyway, I don’t play much bluegrass either; but when I mess around with it, the L50 in particular seems to work well. It’s been years since I participated in a bluegrass jam; I might have to give it a try sometime soon.
Thanks for the video! I just got around to watching it. I've been playing mine with the same flatpick I use for everything, and it is on the thin side, so I'll grab a thick pick and give pushing the strings a try.

I have been trying to use the tele-twang more intentionally by flatpicking banjo tunes down by the bridge. Not sure if it'll stick, but it's been fun. I think archtops tend to be seen as mellow-when-done-right and harsh-when-done-wrong, but that bridge sound has some edge that could be useful in the right spots.

I've never tried flatwounds. And it's also been years since I did a bluegrass jam. Lots of stuff to do and try!

The rest: 1994 G&L ASAT with Porter pickups. '70s Dobro dobro. Recording King banjo. Bushman harmonicas. 1920s Concertone banjo uke. Amps: '65 Champ, Boss Katana.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

For me, anyways, I play the Carter scratch on it, as well as a chunky backup rhythm on mine (one of the Epiphone Masterbilt Olympics from a few years back.) Yes, I can do both on my Taylor 110, but there is just something about the sound and growl from my Epiphone. I know the Epiphone archtops weren't well liked, but as the Loar is seriously backordered, there just isn't much in the way of an alternative out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops