The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 AM

Default J Watson & Co EST 1951 soundtest

Put some new strings on it, and whoho what a great tone! (imo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tn0z...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Nice...the guitar sounds really good, and there was some nice licks in there too. Those old "lawsuit" guitars are really hit and miss but it sounds like you found a good one. I was always blown away by some the Tak's and Yairi's from that era, some really nice sounding guitars. It's kind of odd that the guitar is modeled after a Martin but has the Gibson style adjustable saddle. I bought an old '71 Gretsch Dorado hummingbird copy and replaced the saddle with one of these: http://www.philadelphialuthiertools....ustic-guitars/ it improved the tone and may be something you would want to consider, even the ones on Gibson guitars are often tone suckers, not their best idea. I had to sand quite a bit to get it fit well, but it did improve tone. The Watson guitar seem to be a cool find..........keep enjoying it.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 PM

Nice guitar indeed. Coincidentally I have stringed my Epi with Martin's 80/20 about two months ago. For now is the best string set I have tested. Nice tone.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerzj View Post
Nice...the guitar sounds really good, and there was some nice licks in there too. Those old "lawsuit" guitars are really hit and miss but it sounds like you found a good one. I was always blown away by some the Tak's and Yairi's from that era, some really nice sounding guitars. It's kind of odd that the guitar is modeled after a Martin but has the Gibson style adjustable saddle. I bought an old '71 Gretsch Dorado hummingbird copy and replaced the saddle with one of these: http://www.philadelphialuthiertools....ustic-guitars/ it improved the tone and may be something you would want to consider, even the ones on Gibson guitars are often tone suckers, not their best idea. I had to sand quite a bit to get it fit well, but it did improve tone. The Watson guitar seem to be a cool find..........keep enjoying it.
Thank you! I really dont wanna change the adjustable saddle in case the sound i like will disappear... But it looks really ugly with the adustable saddle

Thanks again for watching

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell