The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 09:26 AM

Default Gate Check vs "Pink Tag"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
Why? I’ve flown with guitars a dozen or so times over the past couple years — domestically and internationally — and it’s never been unpleasant. I’ve had to gate check twice, which I did without arguing. My 00 fits fine in the overhead compartment with plenty of room to spare for other passengers’ stuff.
There is language clarity we should establish. At most airlines (Delta included), "gate check" means tagging it and putting it in the baggage hold to be retrieved at your destination at baggage claim. "Pink Tag" or your airline of choice's verbiage means it goes down at the ramp entry door, and comes back to the ramp entry door at the end of that flight leg. Big difference. Although, with a good case and proper prep, I would NOT avoid a gate check. Just understand your case might have a scratch on it. Which is why we have cases.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:31 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Here is the DOT rule;

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...travel-musical

I haven't had a problem with my Dread Jr in a gig bag, but I'm going to save the ruling in my phone. I think we all should, just in case.
Yep...and here’s what Delta says on its own website:

Musical instruments and/or equipment are accepted as checked baggage, carry-on baggage or cabin-seat baggage — depending on its size and shape — on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers flightsą. Please help us to keep your instrument safe by bringing it in a hard-shell case.

What Instruments Can I Check?

Musical instruments or equipment can be checked if the total linear dimension (length + width + height) does not exceed 150 inches (381 cm), and provided the weight, including the case, does not exceed 165lbs (75 kg).

Please note: Musical instruments exceeding 78.74 inches (200 cm) in length will not be accepted as checked baggage on 767-300 aircraft to/from Tokyo-Narita, Japan (NRT).
See standard rules and fees for overweight and oversized baggage.

What Instruments Can I Carry On?

Guitars and other smaller musical instruments, such as violins, will be accepted as your free carry-on baggage item on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers flightsą. These items must easily fit in the overhead bin or other approved storage location in the cabin, based on available space at the time of boarding. Musical instruments may be gate claimed at the discretion of the passenger and as a result of limited overhead space.

What Instruments Might Need Their Own Seat?

You may purchase a full fare ticket for an item that you feel is too fragile to be handled as checked baggage. You may stow the baggage in any passenger seat with a bulkhead or divider in front of the compartment. The following restrictions apply. The item must:
not exceed 165 lbs (75 kg)
be packaged or covered in a way to avoid injury to other passengers
be properly secured by a seatbelt to avoid shifting during flight
not restrict access to, or use of, any required emergency or regular exits or aisle of the cabin
not obscure any passenger's view of seatbelt, no smoking or exit signs
not contain dangerous goods
be secured in a seat in the same cabin as the owner and preferably next to the owner

Old 02-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Actually Heard at Boarding Gate

While on a flight from Chicago to JFK we are preparing to board and the flight was delayed and then ultimately cancelled due to mechanical issues. One of the guys in line was a VERY well-dressed mid-50's guy with an attitude. He fumed as he waited his turn to speak with the Gate Agent about rebooking. When he finally got to the Agent, after a fairly long wait, he was about to burst. The Agent politely told him there were no flights available until much later that evening - he went OFF on her. We all watched and knew it was coming, and it did: "I'll have your job. Don't you know WHO I AM?" I will never forget this next part. The Agent, without missing a beat, picked up the microphone that goes to the gate area and said these infamous words: "Ladies and Gentlemen we have a gentleman at the desk who doesn't know who he is. If someone recognizes him please come to the gate desk and speak with me so we can sort this out." The guy turned purple, spun on his heel and took off. Some folks who had overheard his ugly exchange actually clapped when he left. It was epic!

Moral of the story: Always be nice to those, including the Gate Agents, who have temporary power over you - especially if it involves a guitar, a flight and a hopeful arrival at your destination of choice...

Martin Custom Shop D-42
Noemi Custom Wedge Ebony and Italian Spruce
Circle Strings Koa Custom OM
Circle Strings Bastogne OM
Gibson 1958 LG-1 Baxendale Conversion
Morin 12-Fret 000 Custom
Lowden O-35 Custom
Taylor 514

"Use what talents you possess:The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best".
Old 02-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Musical instruments and/or equipment are accepted as checked baggage, carry-on baggage or cabin-seat baggage — depending on its size and shape — on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers flightsą. Please help us to keep your instrument safe by bringing it in a hard-shell case.
It's interesting that some airline policies specify a preference for hard-shell cases. I've recently switched to carrying my travel guitar in a gig bag, which makes for a much smaller, lighter package. It's almost always packed away in the cloak closet. I mostly fly Alaska, and the flight crew usually offers this service when I come into the plane without me having to ask. They seem to appreciate the instrument's vulnerability in a gig bag.

I should probably state, here, that not all gig bags are created equal in terms of how they protect the instrument. The one that came with my Taylor is fabulous. The one that came with my Breedlove is completely inadequate.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post

But the cookies they give you in place of the meal they used to provide were pretty good.
That killed me!
scott
Old 02-19-2019, 10:08 AM

i flew once years ago with my strat in its case. took me two hours to find it at a different concourse then the one my baggage went to. never again.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-19-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgtr View Post
It doesn't make sense to escalate anything while you're flying, anyway. You have to approach it by trying to get the other side to see your point of view, and be sympathetic if you can be. If you do have to escalate....it's got to be polite and civil, which is hard to do sometimes.

If you start pushing, they will push back with greater and greater force....until you're kicked off the flight or worse. I've seen it happen. Any time someone starts with the "Don't you know who I am?" type of approach...it ALWAYS ends badly. (although some times, it's entertaining).
I agree 100%. I learned years ago in Aikido to simply walk away from fights I cannot win. Bear in mind I am THAT GUY who always gets pulled from the line to be searched/prodded/scanned. I am told that they do that to avoid the appearance of racial profiling (I have sandy hair, blue eyes, and there is just no room in my DNA for me to be any whiter. Maybe they figure I’m a Scandinavian terrorist, idk). So I try to keep a low profile when traveling.
I’m somewhere over the Golfo de Mexico now and will lose you guys soon but will let you know how playing in Ajijic goes.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model

Last edited by Dreadfulnaught; 02-19-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:27 AM

It is always best to know the rules and be as pleasant as possible. Calling the airline ahead of time to check the rules is a good idea too.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Musical instruments or equipment can be checked if the total linear dimension (length + width + height) does not exceed 150 inches (381 cm), and provided the weight, including the case, does not exceed 165lbs (75 kg).

Please note: Musical instruments exceeding 78.74 inches (200 cm) in length will not be accepted as checked baggage on 767-300 aircraft to/from Tokyo-Narita, Japan (NRT).

Guitars and other smaller musical instruments, such as violins, will be accepted as your free carry-on baggage item on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers flightsą. These items must easily fit in the overhead bin or other approved storage location in the cabin, based on available space at the time of boarding. Musical instruments may be gate claimed at the discretion of the passenger and as a result of limited overhead space.

I have an Hiscox Artist for my Dreadnought. That case is slightly bigger than most...measuring 45 inches long 19 inches Wide and 9 inches deep. Under the the rules posted above that comes in way under the 150 inches rule at only 73 inches. Regardless, that case is quite a bit bigger than my SKB. But way more protective.
I would assume that this is way to big to fit in the overhead. And most of the flights I have boarded as of recently are usually pretty full.
I have not yet tried to take my guitar in the Hiscox artist case on a plane as of yet. Been afraid to. It would just seem that it would get rejected because of its larger size and fuller flights these days.
Any thoughts on this particular size case with dreadnought? I believe this is part of the popularity of the other type carbon fiber cases...as they are smaller yet stronger and do not need as much extra protection. But unfortunately costs twice to three times as much as well.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:

What Instruments Might Need Their Own Seat?

You may purchase a full fare ticket for an item that you feel is too fragile to be handled as checked baggage. You may stow the baggage in any passenger seat with a bulkhead or divider in front of the compartment. The following restrictions apply. The item must:
not exceed 165 lbs (75 kg)
be packaged or covered in a way to avoid injury to other passengers
be properly secured by a seatbelt to avoid shifting during flight
not restrict access to, or use of, any required emergency or regular exits or aisle of the cabin
not obscure any passenger's view of seatbelt, no smoking or exit signs
not contain dangerous goods
be secured in a seat in the same cabin as the owner and preferably next to the owner
Just a note for Canadian members or those flying to Canada using Canadian airlines, it is up to each airline to determine whether the instrument can be classed as a carry on item. Air Canada's policy is similar to the one the US government has. It is best to check, though, before you fly.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I've flown with a guitar many times (almost always a dread in a h/s case). I've had to do the pink tag at the gate, when boarding smaller planes, which is to be expected, and they always took good care of it along with the baby strollers and other items. I always greet the gate staff with a smile, as well as the flight crew, whether I'm carrying a guitar or not. We all have our jobs to do, and sometimes a smile and hello can avoid or diffuse someone's bad day.

I only had one issue, which happened to be a Delta red-eye, where I was flying solo in 2016. It was a larger plane, but Delta's new overhead bins had a partition, which made each individual section smaller than the older bins, so my case was just an inch or two too wide. I tried angling it, but it just wouldn't fit. Two friendly flight attendants gave it a shot, and when I offered to pink tag it, they offered up the coat closet in first class. I walked my case up to the front, and another friendly Delta employee moved some items around, so my case would fit into the closet.

On my way back to my seat, another flight attendant, approached me briskly and asked, "what's going on? I'm in charge here!" I replied that my case didn't fit and that her three co-workers politely offered up the coat closet. She repeated, "but I'm in charge here!" Yikes! I timidly continued towards my seat, and in an effort to diffuse things, I said, "I don't want any issues, so if you'd prefer to pink tag it, that's perfectly fine with me. After all, you're in charge." She replied, "it's too late for that now. If it gets damaged, it's on you, not me... and you're right, I AM in charge!"

I sit down and must have had an anxious expression, as the two previous flight attendants approached me and asked if the guitar was securely placed in the closet. I replied that it was, thanked them again, but said that I didn't mean to create any drama with their supervisor. "Who?" the one said, and I pointed to their ambitious co-worker. "Oh, her... yeah, don't worry about her. We'll take care of you and your guitar." They rolled their eyes and bought me a drink before falling asleep.

Upon landing, I had to retrieve my guitar from the first class closet. I reached the exit door, and standing in front of me is the over-zealous flight attendant. Ugh, now I have to get past her to get my guitar back. But low and behold, the pilot is standing directly behind her with my guitar case in his hand and the biggest smile you can imagine at 6am. I politely excuse myself past her and greet the pilot, who asks why I didn't offer to play a song for the crew, ha! The troublesome flight attendant turned five shades of red to match her hair, as I shook the pilot's hand and walked off the plane with my guitar.

That's the exception. The norm is that the crew are all totally cool, and if it doesn't fit, we move it to the closet or pink tag it.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

One thing about the First Class Closet. It is for First Class and in winter it could be full of coats, so there might not be room. If you're traveling in winter, you can't always count on it. There is also a Crew Closet though so it doesn't hurt to ask nicely.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:09 PM

The more of these I read, the more happy I am to normally fly SW Airlines. I have never, repeat never, had an issue bringing my guitar into the cabin. Since I've upped my investment per guitar, I've always paid the extra $20-$25 to get the early boarding option to make sure I'm in the A group, oftentimes in the first 20 or so. Once, I boarded and while walking past one Flight Attendant, she told me," There will be lots of room towards the rear of the cabin." I thanked her but noticed a totally empty bin right across from my seat so I put my guitar in that one. Once boarding was complete, she was heading back towards the front closing the bins and noticed my guitar, turned to me and said,"Well, you found an even better one!" I agreed and thanked her. She was very nice the rest of the flight too.

Best,
PJ
Old 02-19-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I have an Hiscox Artist for my Dreadnought. That case is slightly bigger than most...measuring 45 inches long 19 inches Wide and 9 inches deep. Under the the rules posted above that comes in way under the 150 inches rule at only 73 inches. Regardless, that case is quite a bit bigger than my SKB. But way more protective.
I would assume that this is way to big to fit in the overhead. And most of the flights I have boarded as of recently are usually pretty full.
I have not yet tried to take my guitar in the Hiscox artist case on a plane as of yet. Been afraid to. It would just seem that it would get rejected because of its larger size and fuller flights these days.
Any thoughts on this particular size case with dreadnought? I believe this is part of the popularity of the other type carbon fiber cases...as they are smaller yet stronger and do not need as much extra protection. But unfortunately costs twice to three times as much as well.

I have Hiscox cases for my OM and 00 -- a Pro 2 and an Artist. I've been on several flights with both of them. They fit fine in the overhead compartment. I was surprised to see how much room there was to spare.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 AM

It won't help with the gate attendant, but here's a tip to get the flight attendants on your side:
Bring a small bag of Lindt truffles, or Ghiardelli assorted chocolate squares in your carry-on (not a guitar case! LOL) and as you enter the plane, hand it to the flight attendant standing there greeting you and say 'this is for you and the rest of the crew to share'. They will almost always ask you what seat you're in, and you'll get thanks and smiling service for the whole flight - for the price of a $4 bag of chocolate.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion