The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 07:51 PM

I've never heard of Eastman's sounding like Collings. Mine sure didn't sound like one.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstang66 View Post
We are visiting my wife"s mother in Raleigh N.C. so they talk while I visit guitar shops. I've been to 2 Guitar Centers, Sam Ash Music, Sound Pure Music and 3 other guitar shops, a lot of fun. A lot of Taylor's and Martin's, also Huss & Dalton, Guilds, Bedells and Gibsons and Collings and Yamahas.
Hopefully, you made it to Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh. Last time I was there (about 3 weeks ago), they had an Eastman slope shoulder dread! I also remember a used Eastman at the Raleigh Sam Ash - was it still there?
Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
Hopefully, you made it to Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh. Last time I was there (about 3 weeks ago), they had an Eastman slope shoulder dread! I also remember a used Eastman at the Raleigh Sam Ash - was it still there?
Yes, I went to Harry's last night, they still had the slope shoulder Eastman E20SS Burst, a great guitar after Gibson's J-45. The strings were old so I could not give it a good assessment. Years ago I considered one, but have moved on. Harry's had several very expensive Huss & Dalton that really took me even further to convince me of how great my Eastmans are. They also had a lot of Martins, some very nice rosewood Martins, dreads, an OM and a OOO.

And also yes, there was a used Eastman at Sam Ash Music, Raleigh, it was beat up, an AC122 I think or similar inexpensive model.

It seems all the shops have more Taylors than anything else. I wonder, is it the marketing or the market demand? I know that Martin sells more guitars than Taylor, mainly because Martin has a much more extensive offering of low end lower priced guitars. Taylor claims to be #1 in the world total sales dollars.

Last edited by calstang66; 02-07-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

I've owned 2 Eastmans, an E20 00 14 fret and an E10 00 M 12 fret.
Both are very nice, but the 12 fret hog captured me, being easier to play (being a 12 fret) and warmer and fuller sounding.
I've written here that I don't consider the Es to be quite on a par with my Taylor 812e 12 fret, or my previous '16 416 LTD (cedar/walnut). To me the 812 is more refined and open, with more powerful bass, and is prettier to see, all at a price.
That said, while playing the E10, I never feel the need to switch to the 812 except for variety. I simply enjoy them both.
Taken on its own, it is very satisfying, more so than similarly priced competition I've played. Simple livery, but it has the quality where it counts.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstang66 View Post
It seems all the shops have more Taylors than anything else. I wonder, is it the marketing or the market demand? I know that Martin sells more guitars than Taylor, mainly because Martin has a much more extensive offering of low end lower priced guitars. Taylor claims to be #1 in the world total sales dollars.
Yeah, I love Harry's. Guru Guitars isn't far from there but they don't carry new stock so you never know what you'll see!

As far as your perception of Taylors is concerned, I think it's more market demand (at least in the Raleigh area). Harry's has about an even number between the two brands. Stores will stock what experience tells them will sell. The Sam Ash has very nice display of Taylors that takes up an entire wall but only a half wall of Martins, IIRC.

FWIW, if you get over to Durham, check out High Strung Violins and Strings. They carry Alvarez (sometimes even having a Masterworks!), Seagull, and Larrivee, amongst others.

Last edited by personatech; 02-08-2019 at 06:22 AM. Reason: additional info

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion