The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 AM

Talking Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Okay, you like that model, but why on earth would you buy five of them?!?

whm
I have five because they now are a little Martin family,and I love having guitars that will become collectible. Changing the size to a 000 was a major change to the junior. I love Martin guitars.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:43 AM

Hmm, maybe I am missing it but I don't see the word "solid" in the current djr product description
Old 02-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Guitar View Post
Hmm, maybe I am missing it but I don't see the word "solid" in the current djr product description

The word “solid” doesn’t appear in the specs of the new HD—28E, for what it’s worth.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:26 AM

Just finished playing my Dread Junior 2 (all Sapele) and realised what an awesome guitar it is. And it is economically priced for a Martin all solid wood guitar!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 02-07-2019, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Actually, the new model is called the DJR 10. Did we miss nine upgrades?

Either way, Dreadnought Junior 1, Dread Jr 2, DJR 10, these are great little guitars I grab mine all the time to take out with me. In it's gig bag, it's so light to carry, but it still has that great Martin sound.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:43 AM

I'm guessing they made the changes to make it more comfortable to play. While the existing model is certainly smaller than a dread, it is substantially larger and less comfortable than, for example, the CSF Yamahas or the GS minis. At 5'9", I can play the latter models in a variety of ridiculous "non guitar" postures, including reclined in a recliner with a chihuahua in my lap (it has become a nightly ritual). At my very average height, the size of the JR still forces a fairly standard seated guitar posture, of which my chihuahua disapproves.

Last edited by Rpt50; 02-07-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkatjoe View Post
The older version has that Martin dreadnought bass thump that sounds like what I expect from a Martin. I bought 5 of them because I love the model. I am shocked they have gone to a 000 on this one. Maybe the market is calling for a blance sound. I didn’t want a 000 sound on this guitar!
I'm a bit confused here; what would five give you that one will not? I'm not trying to be contentious, just trying to understand why anyone would want five identical guitars.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
I have five because they now are a little Martin family,and I love having guitars that will become collectible. Changing the size to a 000 was a major change to the junior. I love Martin guitars.
'Collectible'? I think you're being over-optimistic; sure it's a fine little entry level guitar, but it isn't exactly a high-end rare model that future collectors will be fighting over. But who knows, I could be the wrongest person in the history of wrongness and these could be the best investment you ever made. But I doubt it.

Last edited by AndrewG; 02-07-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

If Kitkatjoe likes collecting Martin D Jrs who's to question his choice? A collection doesn't have to have value to "everyone".

Says so in the definition.

1. (of an item) worth collecting; of interest to a collector.

2. able to be collected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
'Collectible'? I think you're being over-optimistic; sure it's a fine little entry level guitar, but it isn't exactly a high-end rare model that future collectors will be fighting over. But who knows, I could be the wrongest person in the history of wrongness and these could be the best investment you ever made. But I doubt it.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Actually, the new model is called the DJR 10. Did we miss nine upgrades?

Either way, Dreadnought Junior 1, Dread Jr 2, DJR 10, these are great little guitars I grab mine all the time to take out with me. In it's gig bag, it's so light to carry, but it still has that great Martin sound.
It’s called the D-Jr-10 because Martin is now using numerical style numbers as part of the Road series instead of ‘RS’ and is now including the D-Jr. I suspect they’re doing this so they can offer the D-Jr in other trim levels and wood combinations moving forward, perhaps even with standard series trim as a limited run or something. A D-Jr-28 would be pretty cool!

As for the change in body depth, I suspect they’ve done their homework on this one. I’d like to play one of the new ones to see how it compares. It’s still got more depth than a Taylor Big Baby, which I think is a really underrated and nice-sounding slightly-smaller-dreadnought-shaped guitar.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:42 PM

Talking

The junior's voice has been changed 000 to be more competitive with other manufacturers of small bodied guitars. I got on the phone with a dealer today and he explained to me. I know Martin has a plan to sell their guitars and I love the company. There's is a rich history of responding to the public desires.The 2019 jr will sell like hotcakes for the best guitar manufacturer in the world.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
...I didn’t want a 000 sound on this guitar!

Quote:
The junior's voice has been changed 000...
You keep saying that. It is incorrect. It still has a Dreadnought shape and voice, it just has a slightly less deep body (000 depth). It still has a deeper body than the Taylor Big baby, which also has a Dreadnought voice.

From Martin:
The Dreadnought Junior is designed for players looking for big Dreadnought sound in a slightly smaller body. The newly updated DJr-10E features satin finished sapele back and sides in a rich cherry hue, an option of satin finished Sitka spruce or Sapele top, and a hand-rubbed neck with a high-performance taper. This model also sports a thinner 000 body depth with softer back edges to provide maximum comfort while playing. Every Junior includes a soft gig bag for easy transport.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:27 AM

Talking 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
You keep saying that. It is incorrect. It still has a Dreadnought shape and voice, it just has a slightly less deep body (000 depth). It still has a deeper body than the Taylor Big baby, which also has a Dreadnought voice.

From Martin:
The Dreadnought Junior is designed for players looking for big Dreadnought sound in a slightly smaller body. The newly updated DJr-10E features satin finished sapele back and sides in a rich cherry hue, an option of satin finished Sitka spruce or Sapele top, and a hand-rubbed neck with a high-performance taper. This model also sports a thinner 000 body depth with softer back edges to provide maximum comfort while playing. Every Junior includes a soft gig bag for easy transport.
I’m aware that the dreadnought body is there. There are five jrs. Looking at me wanting to be fed. What I’m hearing is a different voice on the new jr. It is a Martin jr. with less of that 2018 body depth. Thank you for your observation. It’s not the body but the 000 depth do you get it?
Old 02-08-2019, 02:13 PM

Default I had the chance to A/B them today.

The burst 10 is a **** good lookin guitar.
I prefer the original JR(OJR) back and sides color.
The 10 does initially feel more comfortable. After as few minutes, I didn't notice the difference when I was playing the OJR.
There was a significant difference in sound and feel between these guitars.
The OJR feels and sounds more like a Dread than the 10.
The 10 did sound good, just not like the OJR.
I had a OJR for a while and really liked it, and only sold it because I wanted something else and had to move a few guitars to make it happen.
If the 10 would have come out first, I probably would not have bought it.
The OJR really impressed me with the first strum. Deep and boomy for a small short scale guitar.
The 10 just does not have that feel for me.
Its not a bad guitar by any stretch of the imagination, its just does not have the sound and feel of the OJR.
Im sure this will be a YMMV situation.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I’m aware that the dreadnought body is there. There are five jrs. Looking at me wanting to be fed. What I’m hearing is a different voice on the new jr. It is a Martin jr. with less of that 2018 body depth. Thank you for your observation. It’s not the body but the 000 depth do you get it?
We all get that you don't like the sound of the new ones, LOL. Go feed your five jrs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion