The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-22-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
I thought it was self explanatory.

You remove a small amount of the fingerboard surface, leveling it.
That's not really explaining anything.

It's like saying...."To fix a flat tire on a car, you remove the old tire and put on a new one".
Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:

It's like saying...."To fix a flat tire on a car, you remove the old tire and put on a new one".
Good analogy. Maybe you need to explain what you don't understand. Scraping and sanding are rudimentary tasks.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post

You may not realise this, but for someone who is asking help you are coming across very agressively.

Quote:
Scraping and sanding are rudimentary tasks.
As john said its very basic luthiery skills, its hard to simplify it further, if further simplification is required, may I advise against you doing the job and seeking a local luthier

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-23-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Good analogy. Maybe you need to explain what you don't understand. Scraping and sanding are rudimentary tasks.
OK, since you asked....

-what grade of sandpaper would work best on a rosewood fretboard?
-do I sand with the grain or across it?
-what tool is best for "scraping"? razor blade or something not so sharp?
-how exactly do I scrape the fretboard? If using a razor blade...do you keep it parallel to the surface or angle it to "dig in" more into the wood?

sure these sound like simple tasks...but the wrong technique or pressure or tool could ruin my guitar in a NY minute.

Last edited by JackB1; 10-23-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
You may not realise this, but for someone who is asking help you are coming across very agressively.

Steve
aggressively? certainly I didn't mean to. I am merely asking for more detailed step by step instructions. I have never done such a procedure and don't want to screw it up. I do appreciate the advice and help and is why I asked the question in the first place. I apologize if it came off differently.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
aggressively? certainly I didn't mean to. I am merely asking for more detailed step by step instructions. I have never done such a procedure and don't want to screw it up. I do appreciate the advice and help and is why I asked the question in the first place. I apologize if it came off differently.

Just a bystander here, but yeah.
You're getting legit info from some very well respected folks, and questioning it (look up Mr. Arnold, for example).
And if you've never sanded / scraped a fretboard, maybe you should leave it to someone else.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:33 PM

I scrape with a thin razor saw blade that has been burnished (look up sharpening a square edge card scraper). This produes a hook edge. You can also create a hook edge with a single edge razor blade.
Start with the blade vertical, and lean it forward until you feel the blade grabbing the wood. This is something you have to learn by feel, so it is best to practice on scrap wood.
Scrape with the grain, but you should alter the angle slightly with each stroke so that the blade is not straight across all the time. That reduces the occurrence of ripples. Block sanding will remove the ripples, but not creating them in the first place will make sanding go easier and quicker.

For fretboard sanding, I generally start with 220, then 400, finishing with 600 grit. I use a small wood block that is about 3/8" wide. It's easier to sand across the grain, parallel with the frets, but you should finish each grit by sanding with the grain.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I scrape with a thin razor saw blade that has been burnished (look up sharpening a square edge card scraper). This produes a hook edge. You can also create a hook edge with a single edge razor blade.
Start with the blade vertical, and lean it forward until you feel the blade grabbing the wood. This is something you have to learn by feel, so it is best to practice on scrap wood.
Scrape with the grain, but you should alter the angle slightly with each stroke so that the blade is not straight across all the time. That reduces the occurrence of ripples. Block sanding will remove the ripples, but not creating them in the first place will make sanding go easier and quicker.

For fretboard sanding, I generally start with 220, then 400, finishing with 600 grit. I use a small wood block that is about 3/8" wide. It's easier to sand across the grain, parallel with the frets, but you should finish each grit by sanding with the grain.
Thanks! Exactly what I was after John
Old 10-24-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
Just a bystander here, but yeah.
You're getting legit info from some very well respected folks, and questioning it (look up Mr. Arnold, for example).
And if you've never sanded / scraped a fretboard, maybe you should leave it to someone else.
I wasn't "questioning" it, as in "doubting it's legitimacy". I was asking questions for more details/info. I'm fairly new at this type of stuff so I dont want to screw up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair