The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 04:49 PM

Well, I do not mind about the look as I play classical as well as steel guitars. Slotted head may add some pressure on the nut because of the string angle behing the nut so enhancing sound transmission to the neck. It would add to the bridge nearer to bottom of body than usual on twelve fretted guitars that helps the top to vibrate more. But string change is a bit touchy compared to padded head.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:58 PM

I really like a twelve fretter with a solid peghead as I do a 14 fretter with a slothead. I also like a twelve fretter with a slothead and 14 with a solid. As long as its a more traditional martinesqe design im not hugely bothered either way.
Both my current guitars, an OM and a 00 12 fret are both slotheads.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 02-16-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Well, I have three out of four six-strings as slot heads because I like the way they look. For me, they are a bear to change strings as opposed to a paddlehead. But I like them nonetheless.

I really can't tell you whether a slot head has better tone then a paddlehead equivalent, but they look good and sound good, and sound even better when somebody decent plays them, and that is all that counts.

[img]https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/16b83e3c-8d0d-4c4e-8d31-6c9c393406b0/56b1130c-4b82-4223-920a-ba34559d3662.JPG/:/rs=w:800,h:1000,cg:true,m/cr=w:1600,h:1000,a:cc[img]

ck
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 02-17-2019, 06:31 AM

I trust the luthier to deal with the mechanical aspects of the headstock she fits. If there's a break angle or a mass issue, part of the price is her expertise.

Owning both, I always found it Much easier to string up a slot back, so I suppose what one is used to makes more difference than anything else
Old 02-17-2019, 10:44 AM

I own both slotted and paddle headstock guitars. I have also changed the strings on hundreds of different guitars with both styles. I find paddles easier to change the strings on because you can do them in any order and you don’t have to worry about the strings carving into the sides of the slots. It’s harder for me to get a clean wrap with slots because you’re working with a recessed horizontal post rather than a protruding vertical one.

That said, I like the look of slot-heads. The reduced mass and increased break angle may have a minimal, but still measure-able effect on the tone given a perfect “controlled” scenario, but those rarely occur. More importantly, slot-heads usually feature “traditional” structural characteristics that have a much more dramatic effect on the tone, such as short scale lengths, bigger necks, bridge placement, 12 fret bodies, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion