The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-15-2019, 10:46 AM

Super video; thanks for posting.

The only guitar I have with those skinnybendy strings is my Tele thinline. Of course any guitar will drive the effects.....it's the player part that might be a problem for me
Old 02-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I think it comes down to a term me best mate and I used to use on music: "accessibility." Music snobs tend to dislike music that doesn't require an investment to like. The common man listens once and goes, "Wow, that's cool!" and doesn't give a whit whether or not it is technically profound. Think of Jethro Tull's "Living in the Past." They were criticized by their own label who demanded they crank out a standard 4/4 song so that they could have a hit. Ian Anderson wrote "Living in the Past" in 5/4 as a rude gesture to the label. Sure enough it became a hit and the folks from the label were none the wiser, making the point that music can exist on more than one level - the average guy said, "It is great," but it was quite complex under the hood.

I wouldn't be the least surprised if Paitch and the Porcarro brothers weren't the technical genius in the genesis of Toto. Many of the arrangements are quite pianistic and the rhythms are quite complex at times. The genius with them was that they were able to pull off complexity and be popular as well.

They tried very hard to make their lyrics more mature on their latest album, Toto XIV.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-15-2019, 03:13 PM

Wink

After watching this I feel more dumberer than ever.

Both those guys are seriously awesome.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-16-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
I just read the Luke autobiography. There's little doubt he was a strong colorful personality. And of course, it's always a matter of personal taste, but I think he was a brilliant player. In return, I'm sure he had some female fans!

It just kills me how Toto gets written off as shallow. Perhaps they weren't great poets, but I've always been more into the musician side than deep lyrical statements. They played on critically acclaimed recordings like Boz Skaggs. But as a group, they always get written off.

Check out this assessment of the recording...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLoh8zHjGUI

It's hard for me to believe that any musician doesn't think this was a great song!
Thanks for posting this! I just checked out his other videos and they are absolutely great at showing what goes into these songs. I've now been watching his videos all morning!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars