The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-24-2018, 08:53 PM

I play a lot too and to save set up time etc I use a TC Play Acoustic direct into a QSC K8.2.

It does it all!
Old 12-24-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
Nice rig man.
Thanks man. It's heavier than most want to deal with, but it's really just loading cart to car and car to cart. On and off the cart is really simple. If I had to carry stuff, it would be a much different story.

Quote:
I do have a fast setup. Or did. Pedalboard wired up with TCHELICON GTX Aura and a looper into powered EV. I have some small single 12” EV subs that are killer but they didn’t make enough of difference and stopped using them on solo acoustic shows.
Yeah, if you're not generating that much low end, then you don't need to reproduce it. I realize that my needs aren't the majority. I will say that there's a "feel" thing going on when I have the sub vs when I don't even when I'm not looping.

Quote:
If I didn’t have so many speakers already I’d check out those Line 6 LT cabs for sure!
I feel your pain. I had and loved (still love) the QSC K10's, but sold all of them to buy the Line 6 L3 and L2's. They were a noticeable improvement. I'm surprised that more people don't know about them.

The L3's are my favorite and the L2's a close second. I've mixed on a ton of powered and unpowered boxes, and they really stood out to me. A few cats in town have purchased them after hearing or borrowing mine.

Quote:
Anyone wants to check out what I do I’ve got lots of videos of me playing live here.
https://www.facebook.com/seanmormeloentertainer/ Cheers ya’ll! Merry Christmas.
Very nice, man! You definitely aren't generating enough low end to need subs.

Your guitar sounds pretty compressed... could just be the recording though.

Have you tried the Tonedexter? I think if you get rid of that piezo quack, you might not feel the need to compress the guitar so much. The Tonedexter / Sunnaudio Stage DI combo has been killer for me. You're gonna need a set of studio headphones and a small diaphragm condenser mic, but once you get a few nice profiles saved, you'll be amazed at how much your live tone improves.

Loved the Desperado cover!

Last edited by The Kid!; 12-24-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Simple Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Ok, this sounds terrible to me. Maybe it's the recording, or the fact that he's outdoors, but it sounds anemic. It made me want to look him up by name to find better recordings, so I did. Talented kid, but this particular video doesn't do him justice. He has better stuff out there.
That video is not a good representation of his sound. But it's a good video to show how simple his rig is. Seen him numerous times indoors and he sounds great. He's a great performer. Recording on this video is horrible, agreed. He loves what he does!
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 12-25-2018, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

I've had a Line 6 L2t for about 5 years that sounds great and it has most of the features I want but it doesn't have phantom power so I ordered an LR Baggs Synapse for $1799 (10% off $1999 regular price) that is scheduled for Friday delivery. More to come on this. Synapse Information on LR Baggs Website

I was hoping the low-end flat frequency response would go lower than the flat-response rating of 65Hz at -3dB that covers anything a guitar can feed it but the Synapse is likely to be good for a usable 58Hz at -10dB (my estimate). The Synapse also has full 48Volt phantom power on both channels.

1/4” INPUT Input Impedance: 10M Ohms Preamp Gain: +2dB to +26dB Input Level: -20dBv to +1dBv (0.106Vrms to 1.131Vrms)
XLR INPUT Input Impedance: 68k Ohms Preamp Gain: +1dB to +65dB Input Level: -45dBv to -1dBv (0.5mVrms to 0.884Vrms)
AUX INPUT Input Impedance: 3.6k Ohms Input Level: +3dBv EQ Bass: ±12dB @ 80Hz Mid: ±12dB @ 1kHz Treble: ±12dB @ 10kHz MIX IN Input Impedance: 68k Ohms Input Level: +1.87dBv (1.237Vrms)
MIX OUT Output Impedance: 100 Ohms Output Level: -2.18dBv (0.778Vrms)
OUTPUT SPL MAX 117dB Peak, 115dB Continuous
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 65Hz to 18kHz (-3dB)
POWER AC Power Consumption: 220W Max AC Current Draw: 230V = 1A, 110V = 2A Max Voltage Range: 100V to 240V
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS 38 lbs, 15.25” Width x 21.75” Depth x 24” Height Pole Mount Size: 1 3/8” (35mm)
* These specifications may change without notice
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-25-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:28 AM

Maybe my definition of simpler is somewhat different than most of the posters here, but for about 90% of the acoustic gigs I’ve done, my rig consists of an amp stand (or not - depending on the space), a Fishman Loudbox Performer (with two-button pedal), and perhaps a TC Harmony Singer and (if I’m feeling particularly saucy and have sufficient prep time) a Digitech Trio pedal. That’s it, and I can carry it all, along with my guitar in one trip.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:13 AM

If it's a tiny coffee shop type gig I use my Elite Acoustics D6-8. If it's bigger I use my Schertler Roy. If I need more coverage I have a pair of Bose S1 Pros to point off into wings or extra rooms. That plus my guitar, my mic, a spare mic for guest singers. I just started using Xvive U3 wireless for mics and Boss wireless for my guitar instead of cables.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I play a lot too and to save set up time etc I use a TC Play Acoustic direct into a QSC K8.2.

It does it all!
Absolutely I’m buying that Floor pedal and going back to this setup from the perform Vg mic stand mounted failed experiment. I was also thinking as someone suggested in this thread of keeping my mic cable and microphone attached to the stand in finding a way to mount the TC helicon and one spot wall wart power adapters on my pedalboard although the current mini board doesn’t have the room for it. I mix everything in the TC helicon unit so one XLR out into my speaker plug my mike in and plug my guitar in literally a couple minutes set up.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
If it's a tiny coffee shop type gig I use my Elite Acoustics D6-8. If it's bigger I use my Schertler Roy. If I need more coverage I have a pair of Bose S1 Pros to point off into wings or extra rooms. That plus my guitar, my mic, a spare mic for guest singers. I just started using Xvive U3 wireless for mics and Boss wireless for my guitar instead of cables.
Basically for a standard gig it would be just my guitar, a mic and the Roy.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Very nice, man! You definitely aren't generating enough low end to need subs.

Your guitar sounds pretty compressed... could just be the recording though.

Have you tried the Tonedexter? I think if you get rid of that piezo quack, you might not feel the need to compress the guitar so much. The Tonedexter / Sunnaudio Stage DI combo has been killer for me. You're gonna need a set of studio headphones and a small diaphragm condenser mic, but once you get a few nice profiles saved, you'll be amazed at how much your live tone improves.

Loved the Desperado cover!
Yeah and some of those videos I may just be plugged directly the speaker. I have transcended my crazy search for the perfect acoustic tone days. Over 30 years I’ve gone through dozens of pick ups every kind of speaker and system that was out up until about 5 to 6 years ago and I obsessed about having my acoustic sound very natural and I did achieve that using three different pick ups a bunch of preamp’s microphones etc. These days for the kind of performer I’ve evolved into I want my acoustic to sound more compressed so it’s snaps back at me like a telecaster or strat for the style that I’m playing. I do a lot of lead type fills in between my rhythm playing and I do some flat out leads as well so that works for me.

And yes I did check out the Tone Dexter and it seems like an incredible unit step beyond the aura technology. But again I blend the Aura in 30 or 40% just to give some body but I kind a like that snappy compressed sound for the type of playing I do so ultimately it’s not something I really need right now I’m going for clear powerful simple affective fast set up and tear down. Most of my gigs are on the beach or outside I’m on the elements and in Florida rain can move in pretty quickly so I have to be able to strike the rig really fast! Those needs are my focus these days.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Ok gotcha. Yes, its got its limits for projection...hmmm,...a bigger Bose?
If you preamp the Bose S1, you'd be surprised just how much extra volume you can get out of it, even outside.

The S1 through the Boss VE-8 has become our standard setup for just about every gig we do as of late and it's always enough. Battery powered everything and super-light carry, super-fast setup and breakdown.

When we do need more power, we just add a QSC k8.2. More than enough power! Here's a review I wrote comparing the two outside:

NPSD: QSC k8.2 with Bose S1 Pro A/B comparison - Update, video demo added
Old 12-25-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
That video is not a good representation of his sound. But it's a good video to show how simple his rig is. Seen him numerous times indoors and he sounds great. He's a great performer. Recording on this video is horrible, agreed. He loves what he does!
For sure, that's why I included the following:

"Maybe it's the recording, or the fact that he's outdoors,..."

"It made me want to look him up by name to find better recordings, so I did."

"Talented kid, but this particular video doesn't do him justice. He has better stuff out there."

Maybe he didn't post it himself. It's tough when other people post stuff because you can't always insure quality. It's also why I always use either a sub or speaker with good low end extension when I'm outside.

Him loving what he does doesn't have anything to do with live sound though. You can seemingly ruin a great performance with inadequate sound reinforcement. Especially outdoors.

My medium rig (Sub, FOH, and Monitor) takes 15 minutes to set up. My small rig takes 7 minutes. Heavier pieces, but I have a cart to transport.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Absolutely I’m buying that Floor pedal and going back to this setup from the perform Vg mic stand mounted failed experiment. I was also thinking as someone suggested in this thread of keeping my mic cable and microphone attached to the stand in finding a way to mount the TC helicon and one spot wall wart power adapters on my pedalboard although the current mini board doesn’t have the room for it. I mix everything in the TC helicon unit so one XLR out into my speaker plug my mike in and plug my guitar in literally a couple minutes set up.
I mounted mic stand to my pedal board (pedal train junior - I think). Cleaned the floor up a bit. I also built a rechargeable battery system for my Play Acoustic. I use a Baggs Para DI prior to the Play Acoustic for last minute EQ adjustments. I cut down the mic stand about 2” on the main pole so it would fit calapsed in my pedal train case/bag. All the cables stay connected, coiled up on top of the pedal board. I unpack the board, connect the micstand, connect the cables out to the speaker and connect my guitar cable to my guitar. As someone else posted, I leave the mic cables attached to the mic stand as well as the mic. I use a golf club driver cover to slip over the mic to prevent damage in stransit.

I also added a small mixer to the pedal board so I could adjust the eq for the mic. I also recently purchased the Bose S1 Pro so I don’t need any power cables/drop cords.

I don’t play out much anymore, but left the setup the same. When I do, I must provide all sound equipment and usually for smaller groups so set up is adequate.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey guys long time no see. I did 248 gigs this year I play full-time and I’m in an out of a lot of places. Right now I’m using a powered 12 EV on a pole with guitar going into an Aura 12, then zoom ME50 for EQ, Compression, Modulation into a TCHelicon Performer on my mic stage. I got rid of the footpedal because I thought this would be a smaller footprint any easier and it turns out it’s not. I’ve got the power cables mic cables and quarter inch cables going up and down my mic stand and it’s just a mess I hate it. Plus it still takes me just as long as it did before to set up and tear down.

The problem is is I have a sound exactly like I like it for my aggressive style with a lot of lead fills, I need that compression and being able to dial the EQ carve out frequencies, etc is key. But I’m sick of toting in my big tub with the paddleboard a bag for my mic stand and speaker stand this speaker my guitar fan Etc. This past week I’ve been just using my speaker with a mic in one input in my guitar direct into the other input with surprisingly good results it took a little getting used to for the dry sound but I love the simplicity of it.

Now what I’m looking for is a speaker that has the effect build them for my guitar some modulation a little bit of Reverb some EQ and compression. Something where I could just plug my aura pedal directly in from my guitar my mic right into another input and sound great. It’s got to be pretty powerful as I play outdoor on the beach so it’s gonna carry at least as much is the EV.

Only thing I found that exists that seems to have some of that minus the compression is the Line 6 speaker it even has their Variax acoustic that you can blend in which if it sounds decent I may even use in place of the Aura. I’m looking for ease of set up and simplicity hear it actually takes presidents over a perfect sound in this case. I have a lot of PA gear a lot of speakers already but none of them do what I’m looking for. Any suggestions would be welcome thanks gents.
After 50 + years of playing I have come to a few realizations .
The reality of playing to live audience is such that as long as your gear does not actually "sound awful" the obsession of getting that perfect sound only really matters to us personally , and can be is as much of an obstacle as a benefit......... THE THING THAT MATTERS to the audience is that the performance be BELIEVABLE.
I am basically retired from regular performance but today if I were gearing up for "the road" I would probably sell all the PA gear , Then get a Line 6 Stagesource L2t for small venues and get the matching L2m for larger and outdoor and a top dynamic mic like a Shure SM7 B or a Heil 30 or 40 for vocal ( or outboard Phantom power supply unit if you have a definite condenser you like ) plug the guitar with pickup straight in and call it good -- Guitar ,speaker and one mic DONE

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-26-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:22 PM

Update: I’m NOT buying one of those TC Play floor units because even the new ones do not have quantized looper which makes them useless for me in reality performing in for an audience. I don’t care what anyone else says it’s a pain to use a looper that’s not quantized and I never used that function in the GTX unit I had. Consequently I decided to buy a voice live three because it has a killer looper all the vocal and guitar tracks including depression that I could ever want plus it doesn’t matter extra crazy stuff should I want to use consequently I decided to buy a voice live three because it has a killer looper all the vocal and guitar efects including compression that I could ever want plus it doesn’t matter extra crazy stuff should I want to use them. Plus he was prices are on point.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-26-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 12-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
After 50 + years of playing I have come to a few realizations .
The reality of playing to live audience is such that as long as your gear does not actually "sound awful" the obsession of getting that perfect sound only really matters to us personally , and can be is as much of an obstacle as a benefit......... THE THING THAT MATTERS to the audience is that the performance be BELIEVABLE.
I am basically retired from regular performance but today if I were gearing up for "the road" I would probably sell all the PA gear , Then get a Line 6 Stagesource L2t for small venues and get the matching L2m for larger and outdoor and a top dynamic mic like a Shure SM7 B or a Heil 30 or 40 for vocal ( or outboard Phantom power supply unit if you have a definite condenser you like ) plug the guitar with pickup straight in and call it good -- Guitar ,speaker and one mic DONE
I concur with you on the Line 6 L2t and L2m! Although I have a Line 6 L2t, I just ordered the LR Baggs Synpapse Personal PA System as it is powerful at 500 Watts, with 180-degree coverage, 48 Volt phantom power, and reverb designed specifically for acoustic instruments. I'll do a review on the Synapse after it arrives this Friday.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification