The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-23-2022, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post

If you pay for premium SC service (whatever they call it), people can download the same files (WAV?) you uploaded, if you don't pay for premium, they can only download the SC-compressed file.
Interesting. I don't have a premium account, but just downloaded the file from this same example from soundcloud. The downloaded file is 24 bit wav, and it NULLs with the original. Maybe because it's from my account? it'd be interesting to know if others get the same file when they download.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Interesting. I don't have a premium account, but just downloaded the file from this same example from soundcloud. The downloaded file is 24 bit wav, and it NULLs with the original. Maybe because it's from my account? it'd be interesting to know if others get the same file when they download.
If you'd like, I can download the file and throw it in dropbox for you to grab. Just give me a link and your email address to set up the folder.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-23-2022, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Great, just grab the file from this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=637531

if it's 23.8M, it's probably the original.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great, just grab the file from this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=637531

if it's 23.8M, it's probably the original.
You should be able to grab the file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1wwcdd11w..._Lick.wav?dl=0

I used the email address from your website.

YouTube
Old 01-23-2022, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
You should be able to grab the file here:
Got it. What you downloaded is the full file, 44.1/24 and it NULLs against my original file. So I'm not sure you need to have a pro account to download full resolution.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got it. What you downloaded is the full file, 44.1/24 and it NULLs against my original file. So I'm not sure you need to have a pro account to download full resolution.
So the difference lies in what is streamed, not the file as it sits on their site.

YouTube
Old 01-23-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
If the file you get back from Soundcloud truly nulls with the original shouldn't it be identical?

It seems like if it didn't precisely match the original then you'd hear some artifacts of the difference when you play back the two files with one inverted, rather than silence.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If the file you get back from Soundcloud truly nulls with the original shouldn't it be identical?

It seems like if it didn't precisely match the original then you'd hear some artifacts of the difference when you play back the two files with one inverted, rather than silence.
The file that gets *downloaded* via the optional download feature is identical. It NULLs with the original. The one that is streamed - what you hear if you just click on play is the one I'm comparing in my original post. No way it would NULL, I didn't even try. It's obviously not the same audio, just from listening to it, but the analysis makes what's going on more visual.

What we're discussing now is whether someone who doesn't want to put up with the poor streamed sound can download the file (assuming the poster set it up to allow downloads) and get the full quality audio.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Does anyone have an idea for an alternative? Is this why some people use YouTube?
Some time ago I did a comparison of Soundcloud and Youtube, together with an mp3 of the original that I upload to my own website. Both SC and Youtube were noticeably degraded, Youtube seemed worse than SC, but could have been affected by my video production to mp4 (audio 181 kbps / 48kHz).

Because I am not always wanting to bother with video I use SC more than Youtube, but for friends and family (and my AGF sig !) I maintain a website.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 02-04-2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:48 AM

Doug -- when you stream and capture, what's the audio passing through on its way to whatever you're digitally capturing it with?

Couch Standards
Old 01-25-2022, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Doug -- when you stream and capture, what's the audio passing through on its way to whatever you're digitally capturing it with?
UA Apollo routing into Adobe Audition. Should be pristine, but I suppose it's worth checking against capturing an original copy the same way
Old 01-25-2022, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

HI all…

So is there an easy-to-upload, easy-to-access (and listen to on my phone) inexpensive alternative, or is SoundCloud it?

If I'm doing recordings and mostly they are for friends/family, or FaceBook (not downloadable for a price) I want simple (for listeners) and it sounds a cut above shooting a video with my phone's camera and mic.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-25-2022, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI all…

So is there an easy-to-upload, easy-to-access (and listen to on my phone) inexpensive alternative, or is SoundCloud it?

If I'm doing recordings and mostly they are for friends/family, or FaceBook (not downloadable for a price) I want simple (for listeners) and it sounds a cut above shooting a video with my phone's camera and mic.
Bandcamp can support streaming (tho likely just as low res) and can allow free downloads - just set the price to 0. Unfortunately, the interface still asks you to "buy" the track, even tho the price is 0. You Tube's another option, might actually be friendlier for listeners, tho more work for the artist - you can just have a "video" of a photo, or even a black screen. You could of course just post an audio file on your website, and people can just click to download and play, which is generally automatic. You can also set up your own streaming player, where you might have more control over the streaming quality. Of course these options won't work on facebook or here on AGF. Soundcloud and You Tube, or a link to click to download (which may be transparent, as the browser may present a player), like Rick-slo usually does, are the only AGF options as far as I know.

I'll get around to checking some of these other options (You Tube, BandCamp, Spotify) the same way. To me, You Tube sounds better than SoundCloud, at least when I upload HD or 4K videos. But others here have said You Tube sounds worse to them.

Last edited by Doug Young; 01-25-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

The streaming industry is always in flux and that may be increasing in the near future with Apple moving to their Lossless Audio Codec and accepting music all the way up to 192/24.

YouTube
Old 01-26-2022, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bandcamp can support streaming (tho likely just as low res) and can allow free downloads - just set the price to 0. Unfortunately, the interface still asks you to "buy" the track, even tho the price is 0. You Tube's another option, might actually be friendlier for listeners, tho more work for the artist - you can just have a "video" of a photo, or even a black screen. You could of course just post an audio file on your website, and people can just click to download and play, which is generally automatic. You can also set up your own streaming player, where you might have more control over the streaming quality. Of course these options won't work on facebook or here on AGF. Soundcloud and You Tube, or a link to click to download (which may be transparent, as the browser may present a player), like Rick-slo usually does, are the only AGF options as far as I know.

I'll get around to checking some of these other options (You Tube, BandCamp, Spotify) the same way. To me, You Tube sounds better than SoundCloud, at least when I upload HD or 4K videos. But others here have said You Tube sounds worse to them.
Hi Doug…

Thank you.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD