The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2024, 06:36 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Default A good day to visit with Friends

Yesterday at the 3 Amigo's show was a good day to see so many of my old friends and clients.

One was Danny Parks- 45 years ago Danny was a musical wonder playing violin in Madison Wisc. I was 22 when I first met Danny. I was working at a shop with a Bow maker doing violin repairs, Danny was always coming in to have his bow rehaired. In a matter of no time he took up guitar and within a few months was playing with the best guitar players in town. Then he got hired on with a swing band out of Chicago called Asleep at the wheel, They gigged with Dickie Betts and Dickie Hired Danny for his band. By the time I arrived in Nashville Danny was off the road after a year with Mel Tillis, he was working at the Stage Coach in Don Kelly's band, Don is a Nashville legend who lit the fire under several major guitarists including Bret Mason and Johnny Hiland. I have not seen Danny in some time, He said he has not touched a violin in years. Today he works as a Resident house musician at the Opry with another of my old clients Kerry Marx.

It was also nice to Visit with Robert Bolin who was an early Winfield champion as a flat picker, one of Nashville's great acoustic guitarist. Robert toured with Kathy Matea years ago along side John Mock, another masterful musician.

Rick Vito came bye- I have not seen Rick in 5 years when I installed GoAA in his acoustic stage guitar. This is the guitar Rick used when he was a member of Fleetwood mac. Rick is the slide guitarist you here on the Bob Seeger track "Like a Rock". Rick has toured with so many legends over the years, He replaced Clapton when Eric left Delanie and Bonnie over 50 years ago. Recorded with Seeger of course and has toured with Bonnie Raitt, John Fogerty, as well as many others.

Rick gave us a short acoustic set yesterday, he is so clearly on time and always looks like it is just a walk in the park. It was great to see Rick.

We had so many guitarist experience GoAA and many booking in for installations.

I met David Flammang, a guitar maker from Iowa who has worked with a number of well known people. He bought a system with intentions of putting in a guitar for Larry Campbell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Campbell_(musician)

It was not hard to get people's attention walking bye. We just put the guitar's face in front of the speaker to demonstrate feedback suppression which stops people in their tracks. Then they are plenty eager to play.

The older crowd is interesting. We focused on showing Yamahas up front. It was everybody's first guitar 50-60 years ago before the cheap Chinese guitar invasion. A lot of nostalgia over that brand. First a $100 Yamaha then a $400 Martin. The old days.

All in All it was a fun use of time even if a bit of an effort to man a show for 3 straight days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification