The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-08-2024, 07:25 PM

Default Peggy-O

I think I recorded this a long while back but was unhappy with what I did. Anyway, this is a re-do of a great old traditional ballad that the Grateful Dead made sort of famous. This is my very simple arrangement of the tune, which is sometimes known as "Fennario": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqpSdtxQbAo
Old 03-08-2024, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Nice job Tim. Another Dead tune I play a lot too, but was never happy enough with the way I do it to record it. I like your version a lot, particularly the vocals.

-Ray
Old 03-08-2024, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Great job on this, Tim! This is a very different approach to the song compared to the way I learned it -- which was super folky, as from early Simon & Garfunkel, their first album -- but I like your Grateful Dead approach, as well! Very earthy!

Well done!

- Glenn
Old 03-08-2024, 09:22 PM

Another nice one Tim I love the steady rhythm you have going to this great simple, traditional tune

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 03-09-2024, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Nice job Tim. Another Dead tune I play a lot too, but was never happy enough with the way I do it to record it. I like your version a lot, particularly the vocals.

-Ray
Thank you, Ray. I bet you're just too hard on yourself as far as your version.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Great job on this, Tim! This is a very different approach to the song compared to the way I learned it -- which was super folky, as from early Simon & Garfunkel, their first album -- but I like your Grateful Dead approach, as well! Very earthy!

Well done!

- Glenn
Thanks so much, Glenn. I had to go and listen to that old Simon and Garfunkel recording, as I had just about forgotten it. That's such a pretty arrangement, and I love all the different lyrics. The guy who seemed to know a million different verses to old folk tunes was Doc Watson. I swear he knew around a hundred verses to Shady Grove, for example.

I am glad that my version sounds all right. It's sort of like how the Dead do it, except I sing it in a lower key and play slightly different chords. Jerry Garcia had a pretty high voice, much higher than mine, and I rarely try to sing anything in the same key as him.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Another nice one Tim I love the steady rhythm you have going to this great simple, traditional tune
Joe, you couldn't give me a better compliment than to say my rhythm was all right. I think it's the only thing I really work on. Oddly enough, I almost threw a guitar solo in there played in double time, but I thought it was weird and kind of pretentious.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:59 AM

Nice job crafting a cool version of this song. Vocals and guitar really came together. You need to check out the Grateful Dead’s version of this song on Dick’s Pick’s #29. Thanks for sharing-
Old 03-09-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson61 View Post
Nice job crafting a cool version of this song. Vocals and guitar really came together. You need to check out the Grateful Dead’s version of this song on Dick’s Pick’s #29. Thanks for sharing-
Hey, thank you for checking it out and the kind words.

Yes, all those Dick's Picks are great. I believe that's mostly from the Fox in Atlanta in May of 1977. Fantastic music.

I used to be a serious Dead Head with well over 1,000 hours of soundboards, saw over a hundred Dead shows and around 20 JGB shows. That seems like another life these days, lol.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
Hey, thank you for checking it out and the kind words.

Yes, all those Dick's Picks are great. I believe that's mostly from the Fox in Atlanta in May of 1977. Fantastic music.

I used to be a serious Dead Head with well over 1,000 hours of soundboards, saw over a hundred Dead shows and around 20 JGB shows. That seems like another life these days, lol.
Wow…100+ shows nice work. Felt lucky to see them 7-8 times. Carter Finley show in July 1990 was first and most memorable.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson61 View Post
Wow…100+ shows nice work. Felt lucky to see them 7-8 times. Carter Finley show in July 1990 was first and most memorable.
Yeah, I had about 6 really crazy years in my 20s. I remember some of it.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Great version 👍👍
Old 03-10-2024, 10:14 PM

I like the way your strum close to the bridge occasionally to get a different dynamic !

Nice picking!

Really nice song!
Old 03-11-2024, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Great version 👍👍
Thank you very much, man!
Old 03-11-2024, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
I like the way your strum close to the bridge occasionally to get a different dynamic !

Nice picking!

Really nice song!
Aly, I really, really do appreciate the support. Playing closer to the bridge is a Bluegrass thing, where you have a little more volume and power with the higher tension of being closer to the saddle and bridge. And in Bluegrass, you are competing against banjo, fiddle, and mandolin, which are much louder instruments than an acoustic guitar.

This version is basically Jerry Garcia's (Grateful Dead) arrangement, except it's dropped a whole step for vocal purposes. Here's the type of version that inspired me (Grateful Dead, 1980): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5qI0f99pE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell