The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-21-2018, 01:39 PM
Guest 829

Default New guitar: frets unlevel

Hi

A few days ago I purchased an expensive handmade acoustic from a shop in London. I took it straight to my guitar tech and he fitted a Baggs soundhole pickup.

When I got it home, out of curiosity, I put my fret rocker on the frets and was disappointed to find that several frets were clearly unlevel. In addition I have a feeling that the action on some strings at the nut is too low. The guitar plays fine and I love it, but I’m wondering if I’m being pedantic.

The store is more than willing to look at it but obviously I cannot get a refund because I’ve modified the instrument.

I’m just looking for views because I’m aware that there are different opinions on such matters.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:46 PM

You haven't really given enough information for anybody here to offer a worthwhile opinion.

Take it back to the tech who fitted the pickup and ask him for his opinion.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:49 PM

If it really does play fine all over the neck, and the action is to your liking, the frets are "level enough", despite what you might measure with a fret rocker.
If it buzzes or you want to lower the action, then it may need to be corrected.
et al
Old 11-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Guest 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
You haven't really given enough information for anybody here to offer a worthwhile opinion.

Quote:

Hi

What other information would help?

The guitar does not exhibit and buzzing - at least when played with my touch which is light.

When, for example, I place the rocker across frets 4, 5, 6, the 5th fret is clearly high across most of the radius of the fret — the fret rocker rattles. This is the same on fret 9 and some other frets beyond fret 12.

There is virtually no relief in the neck - based on my understanding that as a general rule there should be a business card thickness.

Re the Nut Action: On the top e string there is some clearence above the first fret but my large set of feeler guages, on its thinnest guage - 0.002 will not go under.

I have literally just took my guitar to a tech (he lives in the next street - lucky me) and he has confirmed that the frets I detected are not level - to be honest it’s obvious.

But my question is one of am I being pedantic: looking for faults which may not be a big issue. Obviously perfection, they say, doesn’t exist, but I was just a bit perplexed to discover these issues.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:28 PM

Should they be uneven for an expensive handmade guitar? No. Is it a big deal to get it adjusted. No. If you like it, just call the shop and see if they will level a few of the frets. No biggee.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washy21 View Post

But my question is one of am I being pedantic: looking for faults which may not be a big issue. Obviously perfection, they say, doesn’t exist, but I was just a bit perplexed to discover these issues.
No, you are not being pedantic ... I would take it back to the shop (store) where you bought it , take your fret rocker as well, and show them where the irregularities are.

The fitting of the pickup has no effect on the frets, so if you ask them to do a fret dress they should certainly oblige.

I need hardly point out that if you are savvy enough to own a fret rocker, you should really have done all this analysis in the shop (store) , prior to parting with the cash.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Guest 829

Quote:
No, you are not being pedantic ... I would take it back to the shop (store) where you bought it , take your fret rocker as well, and show them where the irregularities are.

The fitting of the pickup has no effect on the frets, so if you ask them to do a fret dress they should certainly oblige.

I need hardly point out that if you are savvy enough to own a fret rocker, you should really have done all this analysis in the shop (store) , prior to parting with the cash.
Yes I totally agree I should have done but I just felt uncomfortable doing it. I’m savvy enough because I have done an acoustic set up course a few years back — even did a full fret dress etc etc, but I’m certainly not confident enough to tackle this on an expensive guitar.

I also worked with a luthier for a few months before asserting that I wouldn’t have the patience to build guitars, but knowledge fades over time so I have kind of forgotten stuff.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:38 PM

I differ from some other responses.

If it plays well, why are you then looking for problems.

Leave it alone and play it.

High low frets are not an issue if it plays fine, they only become an issue if you lower the string height further.

Just play it, sometimes a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. Example if you had not done a Setup course a few years back would you have put a fret rocker onto the frets? or would you just be enjoying it for what it is.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-21-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
If it plays well, why are you then looking for problems.

Leave it alone and play it.
My perspective also.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
My perspective also.
Yup. If it doesn’t buzz or fret out, why are you borrowing trouble?
Old 11-23-2018, 09:31 AM
Guest 829

I took the guitar back and the guitar tech completely agreed that it needed more work to get it playing better. That work has been done and the guitar is now playing much better.

With refund to not going looking for faults. I do agree that it is not always best but in this case my instinct, together with a reasonable amount of knowledge, made me want to return the guitar.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:45 PM

Congrats, glad you got it sorted.

Somebody will probably point out that in your opening post you said that the guitar played fine, and might well ask in what respect it now plays "much better" , but I won't be that person.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:19 PM
Guest 829

Lol

By fine I meant that it was without major buzzing but what I didn’t mention was how it compared to my other three guitars. It just wasn’t right, or familiar, and it was this which made me start digging. Yes I could have lived with it but my instinct, on this occasion was right.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair