The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-30-2017, 11:02 AM

Default Where to best put my money for solo/duo gigs

Hey, everyone -

So I am thinking of finally backing off the electric rock gigs and striking out solo acoustic. I am planning on doing some classic rock and folk stuff, plus some 80’s stuff worked up for acoustic.

Equipment-wise, I plan to use my Gibson J-29 (Baggs Element) running through a few pedals (Fishman Aura 16, EQ, compressor, delay, looper, and reverb if needed) into an amp of some kind. Vocals through a standard SM58, and harmonicas in a rack.

The amp is where I am trying to figure out how to best spend a little cash. I have a Fishman Loudbox (older black one) that needs some work - there is a frying sound in the background all the time. I don’t know what the deal is with it. I could spend some cash to get that fixed, but I also have a QSC K12 that I could get a small mixer to use with and forget the Fishman. I could also sell off the QSC and a couple other things and get something else.

I like the idea of getting a mixer like the Allen and Heath Zedi10 and just using the QSC. It would allow for duo stuff as well. The problem here is I do not want to lug around a second speaker at all - I am finding as I get older that dragging tons of stuff to gigs is part of why I am beginning to dislike gigging in the rock band. So - one QSC on a pole behind me? Feedback problems? Can I realistically play a solo acoustic gig with a single QSC K12?

Sell stuff and get a Bose L1 compact? Small stage footprint, no monitors, etc. I would want a mixer with this, as there is no reverb for vocals... so, add the Tonematch or similar, but now costs are rising higher than I can manage.

Sell stuff and get another small amp? The Mesa Rosette looks great - but at this point I might as well get my Fishman fixed - even though I was never terribly happy with the sounds I got out of it.

Anyway, the plan is to play smaller places like maybe a wine bar or small pub, and I don’t want to lug around much gear. I’d love to carry my amplification in one hand.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

big jilm

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 12-30-2017, 12:02 PM

I did the same as you a few years ago.
Went from a couple powered speakers(1 on a stick & 1 monitor) with a Yamaha mixer to a Bose L1C with a Behringer xr16 digital mixer.
Completely happy with this setup, have zero GAS for anything else.
Super easy to carry and set up, expandable enough to handle just about any scenario I'd ever run into. My duo partner has an L1C as well and we've yet to run into a situation we've needed any more.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:08 PM

Hey big jilm -
I too came from the electric band world.. Been slowly dipping into solo/duo acoustic /singer mode. I have spent the better part of 2017 woodshedding and buying / trading gear..

I started out with a K10 on stand and Yamaha mixer. Various guitars...Pedals, mixers, etc. I have had several different amp or PA setups this year and finally got what I wanted .. Or should I say what I was "looking" for.

Same as you ... Something that sounds great and is easy to set up.. Doesn't cost an arm and leg. I wanted something aesthetically pleasing as looks matter (to me at least).. For the more intimate Wine Bar and Brewing Co Gigs,.

OK.. Here is a thread which has a lot of good info on my quest... http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=487528

In early November ... I got the Bose L1 Compact and later purchased the T1 Mixer. I also have a TCH Play Acoustic pedal. I am very pleased with my setup!

The Bose is a very versatile amplification system for small sized venues. It covers a lot of ground and checks off many boxes.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:52 PM

I've been using a SWR Strawberry Blonde with a reverb pedal on the effects loop. It's a sweet little amp. I carry 2 guitars + the amp/equipment bag no problem. Don't get me wrong, it definitely has a bit of weight to it...

Old 12-30-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I love my rig. Aura Spectrum (switching to Tone Dexter once I get the tweaking done) into TC Play Acoustic into a QSC K8.2. It’s a compact and powerful setup that can be added to in the future.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Make the time to thoroughly audition one of the Bose rigs... I would think that the middle one would be best for you, especially in a duo format. I know they cost a bunch, but in my nearly 50 years of performing (mostly) solo acoustic and voice, I have NEVER played through anything that came close to what the Bose rigs can do! I've played on a few larger stages at Festivals, and I've owned more than a couple decent PA's, but my Bose L1 Model II is the most transparent, natural sounding PA I've used... the dispersion is absolutely mind-boggling; EASILY 180 degrees from the tower, with NO hot spots or drop out through the entire field...

You don't HAVE to use a T1 with them, but I recommend that, too, as it is a very sophisticated bit o' kit...

Do yourself a favor and try them out... but spend your money ONCE and get a great rig. As you will discover, if it's just you and an acoustic guitar, there will be no way to hide poor sound quality... so get something great that you love!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-30-2017, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

My rig gets smaller all the time. I do use an L1C for the types of gigs you describe, but use a small outboard mixer for vocal mic and DI of guitar, output lined to channel 2 of the Bose. I use the effects on the mixer. I was considering using a headset mic but I don't want to look like I'm selling Sham Wow in a department store, plus it reduces mic technique options. I carry my guitar in a gig bag.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:16 PM

Given your description I think go with the K12 and get a small mixer. The Zed or similar that has at least has 4 mic pre's. Minimal outlay up front and see how you go.

Maybe a Bose down the road or perhaps another option will present when you know what you are likely to be doing and where.

I use K10's and K8's and frequently do small cafe type things with one speaker on a small stand. Lately just one K8. Neat little critters. Light in n out is a good thing but sometimes you need more. But... see what develops and go from there.

Kris
Old 12-30-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
I like the idea of getting a mixer like the Allen and Heath Zedi10 and just using the QSC. It would allow for duo stuff as well. The problem here is I do not want to lug around a second speaker at all - I am finding as I get older that dragging tons of stuff to gigs is part of why I am beginning to dislike gigging in the rock band. So - one QSC on a pole behind me? Feedback problems? Can I realistically play a solo acoustic gig with a single QSC K12?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

big jilm
This.

hunter
Old 12-30-2017, 11:22 PM

I returned to gigging recently. Just me my Gibson Hummingbird Pro or an old Ovation, and harps with a rack. After a lot of comparison I chose the Fishman SA330 and bought the Deluxe carry bag. I demoed it next to a Bose Compact, which was my first choice until I did the side by side comparison. The Bose was $849.the Fishman $999. The Fishman was louder and punchier, more dynamic. The Bose was crystal clear. The Fishman has a decent 2 channel mixer on the unit. It has gain controls, mute, feedback control, and low cut. The dome tweeter is also adjustable. The Bose requires an additional mixer. The Tone Match from Bose was and additional $424. on sale. That meant set up to use for a gig the Fishman was cheaper. The bag carries both the stand and the amp, and a mic stand easily ties on with the attached straps. It wheels in easily. Fishman customer support is reported to be second to none. I used it today in a loud biker bar. I never had the master volume past 1/4 or about 9:00 o clock. Plenty of power, decent sound, and very portable. The Bose might have a hair better sound quality, not much, but I play in bars and the patrons aren't audiophiles. The QSC with a small mixer and a speaker stand would be about as portable, and quite a bit more powerful. It might be the cheapest way to go. Decisions, decisions. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2017, 11:32 PM

Fix the Fishman. It only costs $50 and shipping both ways to have Fishman service their amps. Best deal In all of live sound.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:04 AM

i don't miss my electric band days. i was
much younger then and hauling around
all that pa was still a chore.
i think your on the right track with the k12
and a mixer. i work in a trio and also do a solo
act. my solo setup is one k10 and a mackie board
with built in effects. and it is plenty loud for
the largest venue i play . (about 150 people in a hard room)
i would ditch the amp or just use it as a monitor.
i either mic my guitar or use a pup and a preamp
or both. if the k12 gets to heavy for you you
can get a k10 without losing too much low end.
that's what we did.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Fix the Fishman. It only costs $50 and shipping both ways to have Fishman service their amps. Best deal In all of live sound.
This is kinda long winded.

Also get a small mixer. With the three components (mixer, amp and K12) you have a modular system that can be sized for different venues. It will not disappoint you. A small handcart for transporting your gear from your car to the venue will make it a one trip setup.

In another week I'm going to be hosting a new open mic. I don't want to use my good PA gear for the OM so I dusted off a Genz Benz Shenandoah 85 acoustic amp, had Santa gift me a Soundcraft Notepad FX8 mixer and I've added a Harbinger 12" low budget speaker to it. I have it setup in my music room and I'm surprised at how well it sounds. I've plugged into it a couple guitars, a couple vocal mics and one mic directly into the Harbinger for a cajon drum. The mic channel on the amp is still open.

The venue I'll be hosting is a small place, loud isn't a requirement, for me though, a decent sound is. This setup is a decent sound, not great but for this small town, for this venue, it will be more than good enough. Compared to the sound systems I've plugged into at other open mics, this will work great. I think our local players will be pleased and the audience will enjoy the show.

Fixing your amp and getting a mixer has the least impact on your budget. With a Fishman amp, QSC speaker and a decent mixer, you will have a quality sound.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 12-31-2017, 09:41 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses - good food for thought here. Also, thanks JakeStone for the link to the Bose/Fishman thread. Interesting reading, for sure - with a ton of love for the Bose systems.

I think I really want to try that Bose L1c - it really ticks all the boxes. Lightweight, easy to carry, no need for a monitor. Price wise, snapping up a mixer and using my QSC K12 really appeals. Fixing my Fishman Loudbox is also probably gonna happen - I only hesitate because I was never in love with the sound I was getting. Definitely useable, and it’s been a workhorse for me for a long time, but it always sounded kinda cold and brittle to me.

Anyway, a lot of good reading here while I woodshed to get my songs and solo chops together.

Thanks! Any other thoughts/advice are appreciated.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 12-31-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
i don't miss my electric band days. i was
much younger then and hauling around
all that pa was still a chore.
i think your on the right track with the k12
and a mixer. i work in a trio and also do a solo
act. my solo setup is one k10 and a mackie board
with built in effects. and it is plenty loud for
the largest venue i play . (about 150 people in a hard room)
i would ditch the amp or just use it as a monitor.
i either mic my guitar or use a pup and a preamp
or both. if the k12 gets to heavy for you you
can get a k10 without losing too much low end.
that's what we did.
Yeah, man - hauling gear is a drag. Let me ask - you say you run just one QSC. Where do you set it up so you can hear it without getting feedback?

Thanks!

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification