The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2021, 09:39 AM

Default Nitro finishes and the "arm spot"

How do you guys combat the "arm spot" on your nitro finished guitars. Seems to always be worse on my Gibson. With a new guitar, I typically wipe down for several weeks/months. But, over time I just let it be. It is definitely hard to clean it off once it stays smudgy for a few weeks, but it almost doesn't seem worth it to constantly keep it clean. Plus, isn't that where the mojo comes from?

How do you guys handle that smudgy arm spot?
Old 05-10-2021, 09:45 AM

Default well....

I let it be. Learned many years ago to stop trying to wipe it down, use specialty products, wear a sleeve, etc. The non catalyzed nitro finishes are the worst to work with. It eventually became a non issue...YMMV
Old 05-10-2021, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I use Meguiars Scratch-X 2.0.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-10-2021, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

This is kind of gross, but...

I mostly used plain old Right Guard deodorant, aerosol can,
fits in the medicine cabinet.

It don't fit in the little bag I carry away on motorcycle trips, though,
so I have some whatever kinds of deodorant/antiperspirant in a
little stick for that.

I noticed once or twice that I got a dramatic-but-temporary cloudy
spot on my 57 Country Western if I used the deodorant/antiperspirant
that day, so I never use it at home anymore. 100 % success so far.

-Mike "not a chemist, but I stayed in a holiday inn yada yada"
Old 05-10-2021, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

My fix was to prevent it from happening. John Pearse arm rest. They work great!
Steve
Old 05-10-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

I never wipe my guitars down, but I polish them with the strings off every 3-4 months. I have multiple guitars and use Elixir strings so I only change strings 3-4 times a year. I use StewMac preservation polish and it cuts through the gunk in 10 seconds and is safe for any guitar finish.

I have used a JP arm rest, and they work great only if you keep them on for life. I removed 2 and both marred the finish albeit slightly, but it was there if you looked for it. I also find them quite ugly, but they definitely improved the tone and kept the arm off the top. I own a guitar sleeve but find it uncomfortable.

It’s funny how I never worry about it with my very high dollar vintage guitars, but only the newer ones. What one needs to do is gently drop a guitar a few times so the mojo process starts. Many manufacturers are now making “aged” versions, so it’s a bit silly to worry that much. Many of us here trade guitars back n forth so it does preserve the value, but if it’s a keeper, play it in good health and let the mojo happen.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:20 AM

My guitar doesn't have a nitro finish but to protect it I always make sure I'm either wearing a long-sleeve shirt or I sling a clean microfiber cloth over the lower bout so my skin never makes direct contact. I always have a cloth hanging on my guitar stand if I need it.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:06 AM

I just wipe the guitar down each time I play.

I've worked on my physical fitness over the years and I'm proud to say that the extra physical effort to wipe the guitar, strings and take it back and forth from the case is well within my abilities. :-)

Plus, I don't have a hazy spot on my guitar, and, the strings stay great for a long time.

I sense no extra "mojo" from a guitar with a sweat "stain". I'm probably missing it.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-10-2021, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I've used virtuoso polish many times to remove arm haze from a used guitar I'd gotten from someone.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

As a carry-over from my days of playing classical (French-polished guitars are even more susceptible to the issue), I always either play wearing a long sleeve shirt or wear a sleeve.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2002 View Post
As a carry-over from my days of playing classical (French-polished guitars are even more susceptible to the issue), I always either play wearing a long sleeve shirt or wear a sleeve.
+1 on this - but I only go to this much trouble on my nicer instruments
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-10-2021, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Hi Sh-o-Blue
  1. I first wipe off the area with a microfiber rag-which I do after playing most of the time (I always wipe down strings)
  2. If it's still smudged, I use a little bit of spit…(old luthier's tip to me)…Saliva is a solvent that breaks down organic substances.
  3. If it's still smudged, I use a bit of Ronsonol lighter fluid (Naptha)…

I've not gotten to step 3 very often, but have regularly made it to step 2 which solved the issue.

Naptha is not harmful to Nitrocellulose, and it evaporates without leaving residue.

You don't want to use ANY liquid (spit, Naptha or other) on bare wood. It will wick into the wood & may stain the area. On finish, it's fine.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-10-2021, 11:55 AM

I always wipe down the back of the neck with a microfiber cloth after playing, which is where I get the most dirt building up. Then a few swipes across the arm area to keep if from getting smudged up there.

I had a right shoulder problem that prevents me from playing comfortably with the guitar on my leg and my right arm going up over the lower bout of the guitar. I play on a stool using a strap to let the guitar hang a little lower. This prevents shoulder pain, and also less arm rubbing against the guitar so I don't get as much grunge on the guitar top as I used to.

Collings D2HG
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Gibson Hummingbird Original
Gibson Hummingbird Quilt (Maple)
Gibson J-29
Old 05-10-2021, 12:35 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
How do you guys combat the "arm spot" on your nitro finished guitars. Seems to always be worse on my Gibson. With a new guitar, I typically wipe down for several weeks/months. But, over time I just let it be. It is definitely hard to clean it off once it stays smudgy for a few weeks, but it almost doesn't seem worth it to constantly keep it clean. Plus, isn't that where the mojo comes from?

If the guitar is going to be my permanent, lifelong instrument, then I don't worry about it. It's something most other people wouldn't notice anyway. If I was in the habit of buying-selling-buying-selling guitars, I'd wear long sleeves while playing.

Most of my Gibsons I've owned, I never even noticed it myself - but on my last Gibby, a Hummingbird Pro model, I did indeed notice it. But I gave that guitar to a friend who didn't care.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 05-10-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I've used virtuoso polish many times to remove arm haze from a used guitar I'd gotten from someone.

Yeah, that stuff is great. I used the cleaner rather than the polish, but it got a 000-18 looking brand new before I sold it a few months ago, and same for a CEO-7 that kicked the 000-18 out of my house.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion