The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2021, 03:41 AM

Default Oxnard Guild B Stock?

I want a guild d-40, and there are a couple available online listed as "B Stock". Is there any reason to be concerned about this guitar holding up long term, or that it isn't a good value?
Old 05-07-2021, 05:21 AM

Default Oxnard Guild B Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomamc View Post
I want a guild d-40, and there are a couple available online listed as "B Stock". Is there any reason to be concerned about this guitar holding up long term, or that it isn't a good value?

B-stock usually means some cosmetic issue or signs of wear and tear. Structural issues should not be included in B-stock. Often B-stock guitars will show the same signs of wear as an example that’s been on display in a physical shop. So, assuming they offer a full warranty then it’s a fairly safe bet, if the discount is decent enough. If it’s only a handful of dollars well…

I’ve bought B-stock from time to time (AKG and Sony headphones amongst others). Everything has been fine apart from a page turner pedal that wouldn’t sync properly. We got a full refund including postage and got a new one from a shop closer.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 05-07-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:34 AM

Okay, good to know, that ks! This is a few hundred dollars off the new price, which seems about right.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

I think you should call and ask what makes it B stock. Sometimes it's barely noticable.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:22 AM

With Guild a lot of B-stock was generated when Guild was sold by Fender to the current owners, Cordoba. Old Fender made guitars that were left over inventory were marked B stock and sold to a 3rd party to redistribute. There are also instances of finish issues that had to be fixed....best to check to see what you are dealing with. Many are marked with 2nd on the back of the headstock. Some have had labels removed.

Last edited by Scotso; 05-07-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:10 AM

I'd buy a Guild B stock with no worries. It is usually minor, non-functional stuff. Though, I would certainly ask the seller what prompted the b stock designation. Those D40s are awesome guitars, man. Are you looking at the traditionals or the standards? (both are awesome)
Old 05-07-2021, 10:56 AM

I decided to go with Sweetwater. The seller who had the B Stock had no photos, and said they were shipped from their warehouse in Virginia. The stock photos they showed were from the Traditional model, not the regular base model, and I felt like they weren't quite knowledgeable about it when I inquired. No worries, Sweetwater has always been good to deal with for me in the past.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I just purcased a Guild D40e B stock from a dealer in Canada. I am awaiting arrival sny day.

I asked the dealer if B stock was stamped anywhere on the guitar or a label put on. Here is the response.

"

In fact, this guitar is "New" (Open Box / Floor Demo Model in Mint Cosmetic Condition). In this situation, we listed it as B-Stock only to match the Reverb item description definition (see attached picture)

So in this case the guitar is not a factory second or B stock from Guild. I can't speak to other listings but Im sure Guild most likely isnt putting B stock out their from Oxnard
Old 05-07-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I, for one, would seriously doubt a concern need on a quality guitar like that, that B designation is probably some picky nonsense. And I wish Guild had been in Oxnard when I was stationed at Port Hueneme, that would have been very cool and might have changed my retirement plans.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:59 PM

I bought a b stock first once for 600, the regular price was at 800 or maybe 750 at the time, I still can't find one blemish for the life of me, there was a tag with a diagram of the guitar with red circles where the two blemishes were, still can't find them, I actually think it was accidentally labeled as b stock!
Old 05-08-2021, 11:20 AM

For what it's worth, my Oxnard-built M-20 is a B-stock I purchased from Chicago Music Exchange. The only flaw I could find was maybe a little bubbling of the finish on the heel. It has played and sounded great for a few years now with no structural problems.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:34 PM

My New Hartford F-30 Std. is a B stock guitar. But I have no idea why.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:58 PM

My 2002 F-412 was a 'B' stock with a faulty top coat as a result of 'teething' problems with a newly installed finishing system at the Fender Corona factory.

No structural problems - white paper sticker with a printed serial number over the top of the hand written number on the original label - 'Used' stamped on back of the headstock.

I believe these are sold without warranty.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-11-2021, 11:49 PM

I just recently bought a B-Stock sunburst Guild D-55 from Pro Audio Star. Shipped from their warehouse in Virginia. No actual photo of what I was going to get, so I took a chance. I figured if it was really bad I’d send it back. I saved $1000 from buying a new model. The only visible flaw is a small finish issue on the back of the neck. The dark stain of the wood didn’t take in that spot. Doesn’t affect the playability and I don’t notice it when I’m playing it. The guitar sounds amazing and plays effortlessly. I got lucky!
Old 05-12-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside_Guitar View Post
I just purcased a Guild D40e B stock from a dealer in Canada. I am awaiting arrival sny day.

I asked the dealer if B stock was stamped anywhere on the guitar or a label put on. Here is the response.

"

In fact, this guitar is "New" (Open Box / Floor Demo Model in Mint Cosmetic Condition). In this situation, we listed it as B-Stock only to match the Reverb item description definition (see attached picture)

So in this case the guitar is not a factory second or B stock from Guild. I can't speak to other listings but Im sure Guild most likely isnt putting B stock out their from Oxnard
My Guid D40e B stock arrived. For the life of me I couldnt see any visual clues that this guitar was even taken out of the case before I received it.

This is my first Guild and I am over the top impressed with the build quality and sound. This is probably the best "took a chance" on it guitar I've ever purchased. Simply incredible no one carries the brand around here. Too my Gibson-Martin loving ears the Guild is like a love child of those two brands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion