The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Who plays a Kathy Wingert Model E?

I've just tried one of these and I really liked it. The one I tried is unfortunately not for sale. However, I wanted to know if there are Wingert Model E owners who might want to share their experiences, wood recommendations, etc. with someone who is interested either in tracking a used one down or ordering a new build.

I really loved the neck carve and the long body gives it some of the depth and power of a larger guitar. I usually play an OM and the Model E has more oomph in the bass and low mids while still being comfortable for me to play.

Last edited by soma5; 05-11-2021 at 01:00 PM. Reason: More clarity, but more words.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Kathy’s Model E is my favorite of her models. I have played a number of them over the years and still own the 12 fret, long scale, deep body E that I custom ordered back in 2003. Mine is German Spruce and Cocobolo. I have played one of her 14 fret E’s in that same wood combo as well as one in Italian Spruce/Madagascar which was a tad darker in tone. I have played one with a Sitka top, and a Koa one as well as a Brazilian one. Kathy was great at listening to me play and tell her what I liked in tone and then I let her do her thing.
Ergonomic considerations were crucial for me and the E is the most comfortable guitar that I own. It also happens to be the heaviest due to the cocobolo. It is very balanced with slightly scooped midrange. The trebles are sweet and the bass is full and rich but not out of balance. I highly recommend working with Kathy. She can deliver the tone you are seeking if you can communicate clearly to her what you want.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-11-2021, 02:26 PM

Many of my friends have the E model.
If you like the sound of a Goodall, you will love the sound of the Wingert E.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

There is a heavily used Indian Rosewood 2003 Wingert E at Guitar Gallery for $5K. It's being sold "as is" but no mention is made of issues in structure or playability. If it were an F I probably would have at least called and asked some detailed questions about it.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:43 PM

The videos show a guitar that sounds fantastic.
It's listed as Very Good eith a few dings. That means the guitar was played a lot. Sounds perfectly intonation to me.

Last edited by M Sarad; 05-11-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Yes it sounded great. Somebody bought it today.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:34 PM

That saved me. I just sold a guitar to fund painting the house.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:29 AM
Charter Member

Kathy built me an E in 2017, using Engelmann and one of her few sets of Madagascan RW. As with Jayne, she talked with me about playing style and the sound I wanted before starting the build, and she delivered 110%. Build thread is here – https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=480228

The E is a wonderful blend of size and sound. Very comfortable to play but with a rich, full tone. I have owned several very nice Goodalls and, for me at least, there is not a great deal of similarity between them and the Wingert, largely due to the Goodalls’ strong overtones. My Wingert is more like guitars I have owned by Baranik, Hamblin and Williams, but with clarity, bell-like sustain and the treble shimmer that I asked Kathy to build in. I cannot recommend her and the E highly enough.

She has been building fine guitars for may years, so a used E would be something to consider very seriously.

Last edited by colins; 05-19-2021 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

The model E that grabbed me was a Brazilian-backed one. It had quite a bit of inlay, beautifully done but not really my style. The tone and playability were completely my style. I don't think I can afford a Brazilian Wingert, but other rosewoods are definitely in the running.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

I have owned 5 Wingert guitars since 2001 and still own two. My Model E in brazilian/italian is simply put the best all around guitar I ever played. It can handle everything and the ergonomics are perfect! No matter what guitar I bought in the last 20 years I always come back to the Wingert E! And as said before Kathy is a dream to work with on a built!
Old 05-19-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Kathy built me an E in 2017, using Engelmann and one of her few sets of Madagascan RW. As with Jayne, she talked with me about playing style and the sound I wanted before starting the build, and she delivered 110%. Build thread is here – https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=480228

The E is a wonderful blend of size and sound. Very comfortable to play but with a rich, full tone. I have owned several very nice Goodalls and, for me at least, there is not a great deal of similarity between them and the Wingert, largely due to the Goodalls’ strong overtones. My Wingert is more like guitars I have owned by Baranik, Hamblin and Williams, but with clarity, bell-like sustain and the treble shimmer that I asked Kathy to build in. I cannot recommend her and the E highly enough.

She has been building fine guitars for may years, so a used E would be something to consider very seriously.
Oh my, what a beautiful guitar. I spoke with Kathy in the mid 2000 regarding a guitar. Very nice person. Maybe some day.....
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion