The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2021, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings (Medium tension) Review

Thanks to Larry at Organic Sounds Select Guitars for offering AGF Charter members a opportunity to win a set of Santa Cruz strings!

I won and received the Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings in medium gauge. Happens that I've been trying out different brands on a new Martin 00-28 standard model I bought recently.

First thing I noticed taking the strings of of the pack, the feel of the winds was very smooth and was consistent, they felt expensive, well made.

Got the strings on and I was surprised at how mellow and undefined the strings sounded. Played them in for an hour and over that time the strings came alive. Completely different form any string I've used where the strings always start out a bit jangly and smooth out in a day or so.

Over the next coupe days the strings settled in they continued to sound excellent. Impressive sustain, even response string to string and up the fingerboard Pleasant overtones somewhat muted, so you got a strong fundamental. I read about folks wanting to "tame the overtones" on some guitars, I'd try the Santa Cruz strings.

The feel of all the strings, wound and plain is very silky. Might be the micro-coating they use. BTW, my fingertips were black from that first hour of breaking in, again must have been the micro-coating. You can certainly tell the Santa Cruz are well made, premium quality strings.

I've decided the medium tension is not for me and I'll try another set in low tension. I'm a flesh and nail player, i think if you were a heavy handed flatpicker the medium tension would be perfect.

Thanks again to John at Organic Sounds Select Guitars for the opportunity to try the Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:15 PM

The medium Parabolics are lower tension then 12s. The low tension set has a really hard time driving big tops as they are designed for small guitars like 0 and 00 sizes.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Thanks to Larry at Organic Sounds Select Guitars for offering AGF Charter members a opportunity to win a set of Santa Cruz strings!

I won and received the Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings in medium gauge. Happens that I've been trying out different brands on a new Martin 00-28 standard model I bought recently.

First thing I noticed taking the strings of of the pack, the feel of the winds was very smooth and was consistent, they felt expensive, well made.

Got the strings on and I was surprised at how mellow and undefined the strings sounded. Played them in for an hour and over that time the strings came alive. Completely different form any string I've used where the strings always start out a bit jangly and smooth out in a day or so.

Over the next coupe days the strings settled in they continued to sound excellent. Impressive sustain, even response string to string and up the fingerboard Pleasant overtones somewhat muted, so you got a strong fundamental. I read about folks wanting to "tame the overtones" on some guitars, I'd try the Santa Cruz strings.

The feel of all the strings, wound and plain is very silky. Might be the micro-coating they use. BTW, my fingertips were black from that first hour of breaking in, again must have been the micro-coating. You can certainly tell the Santa Cruz are well made, premium quality strings.

I've decided the medium tension is not for me and I'll try another set in low tension. I'm a flesh and nail player, i think if you were a heavy handed flatpicker the medium tension would be perfect.

Thanks again to John at Organic Sounds Select Guitars for the opportunity to try the Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings.
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the detailed review, and it was my pleasure! It sounds like the low tension set might be a good match for you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
The medium Parabolics are lower tension then 12s. The low tension set has a really hard time driving big tops as they are designed for small guitars like 0 and 00 sizes.
Hi Jerzey,

This isn't quite accurate. The low tension set has a total tension of 156 pounds and the mid tension set has a total tension of 163 pounds. In comparison to a commonly used brand, D'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronze lights (12-53) have a total tension of 160.5 pounds. Their EJ26 custom light set (11-52) have total tension of 148.6, and their EJ17 medium set (13-56) have total tension of 185.3 pounds.

Santa Cruz recommends the low tension for guitars up to OM's or 000's in size. However, either set can be used safely for just about any size guitar.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:32 PM

I love how they seem to excite the tops of the guitars I’ve tried them on but I find them oddly bright for phosphor bronze. I guess I have mixed feelings about them. I do have a set of SUS in heavy on deck to try in the somewhat near future. I’ve heard good things about them.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I find this also true and as you say looking at the actually tension #s the Medium are more like other's "lights" and the low tension total tension # is like other's extra lights. I only play the medium parabolics for this reason, but I do like them VERY much on several guitars.

Last edited by gmel555; 05-11-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:56 PM

Default +1

I've tried a couple sets on my Larrivee L-series guitars; like you, I found that the medium tension version was a bit lackluster at first, then opened up later and actually sounded pretty good, but overall was not my cup of tea. That might be different if I were flatpicking or playing more aggressively.

Also like you, I play mostly fingerstyle; I tried the low-tension version on the guitars and these made a HUGE difference. I infer from this that the lower-tension strings just allow the top more excursion and a better balance to the tone for my playing style and tone preferences.

Incidentally, I use the L-10 Custom for standard tuning, occasionally with a dropped D; the L-03 I use for dadgad, open g, open d and did not find that the low tension caused any problems with the already-reduced tension of those tunings.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-11-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I find this also true and as you say looking at the actually tension #s the Medium are more like other's "lights" and the low tension total tension # is like other's extra lights. I only play the medium parabolics for this reason, but I do like them VERY much on several guitars.
Totally agree. I don’t care what the technical measurements say, in real world use, what you are saying is spot on.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I have lights on an OO boutique guitar, and they are too loose for my liking. I get a little bit of fret buzz, and even though it's a little bit, it's still fret buzz.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying mediums, but for the price, I might just stick with what I'm used to.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Low Tensions do a pretty good job on 000 sizes as well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion