The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2021, 12:40 PM

As an open mic host, I hate it when people show up with a guitar with no pickup. I keep one of the 'woody' soundhole pickups that slides into place, just in case. When I have to mic them it takes longer to set up, harder to control their sound (everyone moves a little) and if they are fingerpicking, just exacerbates the issue.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-23-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Bad pickups do a fine job of screwing up the sound without any help from us sound persons. While firm, solid playing on a reasonable instrument will sound good with just a mic, lovely-but-tiny fingerpicking has no chance without a pickup. And if I look at you funny, well, I look at everyone funny. Not singling you out.
I have great respect for sound persons who know their business. You seem to want to get the best sound possible.

I guess I'm just a pain in the butt to work with.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
As an open mic host, I hate it when people show up with a guitar with no pickup. I keep one of the 'woody' soundhole pickups that slides into place, just in case. When I have to mic them it takes longer to set up, harder to control their sound (everyone moves a little) and if they are fingerpicking, just exacerbates the issue.
With respect to you as a soundperson who seems to know what their doing. I would never let anyone put anything in or on my instrument.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
With respect to you as a soundperson who seems to know what their doing. I would never let anyone put anything in or on my instrument.
Many venues have a crew-doesn't-touch-instruments policy, mainly due to liability issues.

Couch Standards
Old 02-23-2021, 04:53 PM

Seymour Duncan Mag mic, Fishman Rare Earth Blend, or Scherltler AG6 with the mic option, are all great options for when you don't want to permanently install a pickup permanently. You can have your luthier put a small mini jack inside your guitar to plug in when you want the pickup.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:29 PM

I have a K&K in in my HD-28V and a JJB in my Shenadoah. Both do well, but I always use them through my ToneDexter, although the JJB output level is a bit lower than the K&K. I have battery power for the ToneDexter so that I can get on and off stage quickly at open mics.

The only issue I've had with jack is that the diameter is too large for most straps, but the MusicNomad Acousti-Lok Strap Lock Adapter solved this problem for me.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...d-output-jacks

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 02-25-2021, 11:30 AM

Either take the Taylor or get a Seymour Duncan Woody XL (not the regular Woody). It is a very warm sounding pickup for a mag and the XL has adjustable pole pieces to even out string volume disparity. Installs/comes out in less than a minute. I have one and it sounds great, but in 2019 I was gigging 2x a week and did a semi-permanent install of a Dearmond Tone Boss - hotter, but not as warm as the SD.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-26-2021, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

It’s an open mic so make it as easy as possible. Install a K&K or JJB (I have both but like the JJB better) and be done with it. Plug straight into the guitar and play. The important thing is to be set up and off the stage as quickly as possible. The more stuff you carry up there with you, the more it distracts from your performance.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-27-2021, 11:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default How about Carlos CS-sensor

Consider this solution (around 300USD)

CS-sensor by Carlos

https://cs-sensor.eu/
Old 02-27-2021, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

I'm the guy 6L6 refers to with the Dazzos in my D 35, and also in my 00 15 and my Texan, and my Guild D 35, and my two Ponos. Let's say I'm a fan. But you need to go all in on whatever adhesive Teddy says to use. Vancebo and others have put Dazzos in their guitars, and Teddy is a phone call away. There are techs in the area that use tape. That is the equivalent to having a 65mph limiter on a Ferrari.

But when you say occasional open mic, that might be your mindset now. I'm involved in running one and our goal is making it a good enough experience you'll be comfortable coming back for. Most of the time. That has a lot to do with sound and the regulars. We have taken great care in our PA and monitor setup. That includes having SunnAudio DI for two guitars. But you need to have a DI or Pre, and with Dazzos you'll need little or no EQ in an open mic situation. We also run three mics. Another plus for us running the PA is that Dazzos are plug and play. You get nothing but a volume check. We are pretty good at dialing in K&Ks, but it's on the fly.

You might have a problem with a hole drilled in your guitar for a jack. Don't, especially if you've seen damage stepping on a cable can do to a soundhole.

SunnAudio has a new Stage DI in the works that is more of a stomp box. I'd recommend that with Dazzos every day. I get the investment issue, but you buy once. Hopefully you'll get a lot of use and it will pay over time. You get a cord and tell whoever is running the show, set everything flat.

Another reason to find an open mic is it will give purpose to your practice. Right now there are some Zoom open mics, but they are poor substitutes for the real thing. But you can start a zoom meeting with only yourself, and record it. Then self criticize. Also realize you'll be your own worst critic. Also realize, EVERYONE will have a flame out once in a while. Seasoned performers and newbies alike will crash and burn.

Whatever you choose will likely work fine. Get through half a dozen open mics and things get comfortable.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-27-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Right now there are some Zoom open mics, but they are poor substitutes for the real thing.
I would disagree. I participate in a couple of open mics weekly. I wouldn't say they are poor substitutes, they are just different. Those I participate in use a round-robin approach, with each participant playing a single song per round with multiple rounds as time permits.

There is a learning curve and, for many, some gear acquisition. The learning curve involves not only learning the ins and outs of using Zoom for music, it also involves learning how to set up your equipment properly. The gear acquisition may involve investing in mics, stands, mixers, audio interfaces, webcams, or other gear.

Over this year of lock-down I and my fellow Zoom open mic participants have vastly improved our audio and some of us have also improved our video. Believe it or not, it has also built a stronger sense of community than that that existed before COVID, partly because we have all been helping each other with our sound.

If you have not participated in a Zoom open mic I heartily suggest trying it.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

Last edited by phcorrigan; 02-28-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I would disagree. I participate in a couple of open mics weekly. I wouldn't say they are poor substitutes, they are just different. Those I participate in use a round-robin approach, with each participant playing a single song per round with multiple rounds as time permits.

There is a learning curve and, for many, some gear acquisition. The learning curve involves not only learning the ins and outs of using Zoom for music, it also involves learning how to set up your equipment properly. The gear acquisition my involve investing in mics, stands, mixers, audio interfaces, webcams, or other gear.

Over this year of lock-down I and my fellow Zoom open mic participants have vastly improved our audio and some of us have also improved our video. Believe it or not, it has also built a stronger sense of community than that that existed before COVID, partly because we have all been helping each other with our sound.

If you have not participated in a Zoom open mic I heartily suggest trying it.
I completely agree with the above! I started the AGF Open Mic Facebook group almost a year ago and we meet usually bi-weekly on Sunday afternoon/evenings and it's been a lot of fun. It really only differs from an actual open mic in that it's not as nerve-wracking for newbies because you're in the comfort and safe confines of your own home. We have all levels and the regulars have become good friends. Although the group is on Facebook we actually meet on ZOOM and do simultaneous live stream to Facebook so previous shows can viewed realtime or after the fact.

You can check out our shows by clicking down in my sig line and requesting to join. It is for AGF members only and it's private so no one can find the group from outside which newbies also prefer. I do miss the open mics of the olden days and look forward to a time when we can go back to them but I also see the ZOOM open mic I run continuing as long as people continue to attend and participate!
Old 02-28-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I'm the guy 6L6 refers to with the Dazzos in my D 35, and also in my 00 15 and my Texan, and my Guild D 35, and my two Ponos. Let's say I'm a fan. But you need to go all in on whatever adhesive Teddy says to use. Vancebo and others have put Dazzos in their guitars, and Teddy is a phone call away. There are techs in the area that use tape. That is the equivalent to having a 65mph limiter on a Ferrari.
I've read great things about Dazzo. I like the idea of having limited stuff inside the guitar. So if I went with Dazzo or another similar type of product like K&K mini, I would go with a preamp outside the guitar. Your thoughts on that approach. What ever happened to the tape experiments with Dazzos?
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 02-28-2021, 07:14 PM

i tried a few times to plug a kk mini into whatever the open mic offered.
i was mostly dissapointed.
kk needs preamp and eq prior to
a board and it must go into 1mgohm.
ill go out on a limb saying i dont
think youll be happy with any
sbt at an open mic unless you
drag some outboard gear
with you...which is usually
frowned upon.. i use a sunrise
soundhole pickup and it always
sounds decent.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

I have not done a lot of open mic in a lot of different venues. I've done a few at music festivals, but before the unmentionable I was doing three of them locally each week. All three, when it was your turn you went up, plugged in, maybe did a little intro and played your two songs. Then you got off the stage because the next person was getting announced and on the way up. Not a lot of time for dinking around. I never saw anyone bring in their own sound system. I realize different venues do it differently but that has been my experience.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification