The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-27-2016, 01:43 PM

Default Advice for Martin 000-2832 Shenandoah

I have a D28 which is strung with mediums (EJ17) and a 000-2832 Shenandoah strung for the last 30 years with lights (either EJ16 or 4200).

I like the D28 with mediums for the extra tension/dynamics and would like to try mediums on my 000 to get it a little closer to the feel of the dred. I'm also expecting to get a little more bottom and a bit less zing to help with my "chuggy" rhythm plectrum playing.

Problem is, I'm a bit worried about the effect of string tension on my top... around 160lbs with lights to 185lbs with mediums.

The 000 Shenandoah has a solid top and scalloped bracing (it says so on the hang tags) which I understand is slightly heavier than standard Martin scalloped bracing. Also there is some bellying behind the bridge (around 3mm to each edge of the guitar) which has been there since I can remember. Research suggests this may well have been built into the top intentionally but I'm not sure on this. The saddle is getting pretty low now so I suspect this might be the cause.

The stamp inside the body has the usual use medium or lighter strings only advice so should I be worried about using mediums or am I just being my usual over cautious self?
Old 12-27-2016, 01:46 PM

Try a set of Bluegrass gauge strings.
They will be just what you are looking for.
The high three strings are light gauge and the bass three strings are medium gauge.
Most string makers offer them.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:50 PM

It's been my experience that medium strings can choke some instruments, the higher tension dampening the movement of the top. Going up in gauge will certainly change the action you've been used to on the Shenandoah and may require a new setup. But generally there's no harm in experimenting.......the only way you'll know if there is method to your madness is to string it up and give it a go.........yes?
Old 12-27-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaD View Post
Try a set of Bluegrass gauge strings.
They will be just what you are looking for.
The high three strings are light gauge and the bass three strings are medium gauge.
Most string makers offer them.
What he said...
Old 12-27-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
What he said...
What they said.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:26 PM

63t, there's no harm in being cautious - it indicates both thought and care. But the Shenandoah can probably handle mediums just fine. I have a custom 1987 000-42 that has the same scalloped bracing as on the Clapton signature model 000-28EC, and my guitar has never had ANYTHING but mediums on it. There have been no problems with those strings affecting the guitar negatively in the nearly thirty years it's had them on there.

But I like Grandpa's suggestion of bluegrass gauge strings, too. That might be the right way to start your experimentation.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-27-2016, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the help. A set of Bluegrass EJ19 are on the way

I'll be listening for strange noises in the night
Old 12-30-2016, 12:55 PM

Update: The EJ19 set arrived this morning so I fitted them straight away.

Must say I'm blown away with the results. Acoustically, the heavier bottom strings give the bottom end just a bit more breadth and guts than before and this now blends much more evenly with the top end.

My Shenandoah is a very "sweet" sounding guitar but it now has a bit more punch to it which will suit the way I'm intending to play it. I haven't tried it plugged in yet and don't really expect to hear that much difference tbh but I'll certainly be happier with the extra tension.

I've been pondering getting my D28 electrified or even buying an OM but a simple, well advised string change has got me where I wanted to be. Thanks fellas!

I'll keep an eye on the top with the slightly heavier tension but so far, so good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion