The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-07-2020, 04:35 PM

Gibsons are revered but at the same time I observe they're always lacked the perferctionist finish of the likes of collings. Not to say they don't sound good, but the internals of gibsons thru the years have had some pretty sloppy and drippy examples. You'd be amazed how sloppy some of the dovetails are when doing a neck reset. I think it's just something you may have to accept if that particular guitar sounds good.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:51 PM

I recently purchased a Gibson Hummingbird.The AGF review will be coming when I do a tuner swap. Every Gibson acoustic I looked at and played were in excellent fit and finish.
Doesn't help the OP in this case but just an anecdotal aside.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:40 PM

Gibson doesn't make their cases. Just get a lighter and burn off the loose thread.

Guitar makers are running out of beautiful dense rosewood. Yours will still do the job.

That truss rod cover? I'd buy a factory new replacement on eBay and move on.

Is the bridge off center? Now that is something that would bug me. If they can't raise the quality of their output, then they should lower their prices. But in AUS, being on the other side of the world does factor in.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexnman View Post
1st off how does it play and sound ? If your not 100% satisfied with that 1st then I'd send it back for refund . Now if you are that's a different story .
Plus 1, and for that price you should be really happy as in thrilled to death!
Old 11-07-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseAxe View Post

That truss rod cover? I'd buy a factory new replacement on eBay and move on.
Why should I buy a truss rod cover from eBay for a brand new $12K guitar - yep, mine cost even more than the OP's.

Took this shot a couple hours ago.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-07-2020, 07:46 PM

Get your money back if you can and get another Martin.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicster View Post
I'm really just devastated one of the biggest guitar purchases in my life and i'm stressed out by it.
Says it all. Return it for cash. Exhale.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:33 PM

Ah. Agenda posting. My favorite kind. Sometimes it seems like it is the life blood of the AGF.

Would you please put a mirror in that guitar and post some pics of the bracing and glue work. We should get 10 or 15 more pages out of that.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I'm really just devastated one of the biggest guitar purchases in my life and i'm stressed out by it.
I won't offer an opinion, plenty of those given already, but this statement screams to me you should return the guitar. It's a guitar. a NGD should be a good day, not a source of stress.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:00 PM

Yes, return it. Definitely not worth the stress.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of Gibsons and have owned many although I only have two right now. I would not keep that guitar...too bad you couldn't have seen it first as to avoid this situation...
Old 11-07-2020, 11:19 PM

Default A thought

I am not a consumer of storebought guitars. I roll my own, and I am careful of and with the materials I put into my stuff. Not as in anally chasing the 'perfect' anything, but as in serviceability and reasonable appearance. I don't have two hundred dollars in any one of my six solid b/s Sitka-topped, wood-bound, rosewood-fretboard instruments. For example, I have a box of ten manufacturer-reject fingerboards sitting in my shop area. Three bucks each, and any of them is nicer than the one in the pictures. And Martin rejected all of them.

No way have I used such scrapwood for a fingerboard (knot below the nut, wood ripped out further down) or built so carelessly as to misalign a bridge as I saw on that Gibson (and was that bridge off-center to compensate for a misaligned neck?).

I'm not Gibson-bashing so much as I'm revolted at seeing something so badly made shipped to a dealer and then accepted by the dealer.

I think OP's dealer treated him badly.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone thanks for your opinions, just to answer a few question that have come up through this discussion.

6. I'm not really sure if the retailer is to blame for any of this they probably just sold what they had in stock, i mean all these are manufacturing Quality Control issues not retailer abuse the guitar was certainly taken care of in the shop. However as mentioned earlier by another member maybe they did know if you're in the business of selling guitars surely you would check all items coming into stock and know the level of acceptability, really hard to know on this point.
7. I'm really just devastated one of the biggest guitar purchases in my life and i'm stressed out by it.
Sad to read that you have to go through this episode of what should be a really happy event. IMHO, you should return this Gibson guitar. I don't think you can live with the imperfections that you've highlighted, even if they compensate you in cash. As you said, you wouldn't buy this guitar at half the price of what you paid.

If the retailer, who you bought from, chooses not to check through the guitar that Gibson send to them and assume that they are in pristine condition, why should you be the one to pay the price for their oversight? They should bear the cost of that oversight! My vote is that you return the guitar! Hope your next purchase, if you still go Gibson or any other brand, is that it will be a wonderful and pleasant experience!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-08-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I just had to re-post. No doubt that guitar should never have passed QC.
But as just predictably as the sun comes up each day, the thread has turned into a Gibson-bashing opportunity with generalizations galore.
On a positive note, I don’t take most of these comments seriously. Lots of haters waiting in the weeds.
As I said before, my two Gibsons are flawless. For the life of me, I can’t figure out how that happened.

......I thought turkeys could fly....
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 11-08-2020, 08:38 AM

I'm a Gibson guy, and over look some things, but I agree with the send it back crowd... FWIW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion