The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioSixString View Post
This.........
That was answered on the 1st page. Wasn't an option.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Looks like the guy from Taylor was true to his word. Just got this email:

"My name is Rusty and I am the store manager of Guitar Center in Atlanta. I just tried giving you a call in regards to the Taylor guitar you wanted to purchase yesterday. I deeply apologize for the poor experience and the mistake we made by preemptively having an unreleased model on our showroom floor. My district manager just called me to tell me that we have approval to sell the guitar to you. If you don't mind, please give me a call back at the store so we can make things right."
Excellent response - I hope this all works out for you soon!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-06-2020, 05:03 PM

It sounds as if Taylor had no issue with the guitar being released so why would GC not do the deal to TRY and keep a customer happy. The GC guy could have called Taylor while the OP was still there at the store.
I tried a GC near me last year when i wanted to order a BTO from Taylor. The sales guy said he couldn't help me "due to legalities" since I told him I had asked at other shops for pricing.
I went to another GC and they ordered it right away. No hassle and by far the best experience I have ever had with GC.
Taylor customer service is hard to beat.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderball View Post
i could see that spinning someone into a dimension of pissed off not often seen
Totally unrelated to the original post - which most definitely does suck - but your line is amazing. I am going to use it sometime when the time is right
Old 11-07-2020, 06:05 AM

They could have easily marked all your gear as "needing repair" in order to hold it for you at the store. When the 10 days were up just cancel the "repairs" and go get your new guitar. Nothing difficult about it.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:19 PM

Easy Solution: Go to an independent music store, possibly get an even better trade deal, then send the CEO of Guitar Center a nice letter with the copy of your receipts, and show them the deal they lost.

Be sure to specify which store and name names.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:27 PM

When I worked at a running store, we had similar situations where we'd get a shoe in from a manufacturer with a "do not sell before" date.

I know several times where that didn't matter.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
... I think I would have them promise to keep it boxed up for the waiting period and go through with the deal.
^^^^ This. Guitar Center is notorious for letting anyone and everyone handle their gear, and they also sell floor models, which have been beaten on by every teenager in town, as new. They also sell returns as new as long as no problem was reported. Any time I've made the decision to buy something from them, I always ask the same question: "Do you have a new one in the box?" They can laugh all they want, but I'm not paying the new price for a floor model that has been toyed with by dozens of people. If they don't, then I go online. It's what they get for keeping ONE of everything in stock.

I recently went in my local GC to try out an effects processor. They had to search the store to find it, even though it was listed as in stock on their website. Once they found it, the kid hooked it up to an amp. That's when the fun began. I literally went through about 7-8 brand new guitars trying to find one that:

1. Didn't have RUSTED strings.
2. Wasn't way out of tune and the tremolo fine tuners were too far out of range to fix without having to ask them for a wrench.
3. Didn't have a broken/missing string.

I have seriously walked into pawn shops and found the guitars in better shape than my local GC.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:10 PM

Glad to hear it is all working out!

For those suggesting that he should have left his trade ins at the store I would caution all not to do anything like that especially with a store on the verge of a bankruptcy. Now I know GC will most likely just restructure their debt but it is not out of the realm of possibility that you could return there and find the doors locked and the company gong out of business. This would be true for a chain store or your local guitar store. Just saying as a word of caution.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:23 PM

I suppose alls well that ends well, right? I picked up the guitar today. I've been dealing with the same guy there for a few years and I get along with him (he, obviously, had nothing to do with this fiasco). He usually gives me the "friends and family" discount, and did this time as well. The manager came down and apologized and told me to go pick out some swag, so I got 3 pacs of Elixir's and a tuner thrown in. As for the guitar, it had been on the floor for a day when I played it, and after my ordeal, it went back in the back, so it's still flawless. I got it before the mob could bang it up.

In short, it wasn't a pleasent experience, but I got a good deal on the guitar, some strings and a tuner and probably the best trade in value they could give me, so as far as I'm concerned, it's water under the bridge at this point.

I'll probably post a NGD thread soon, which I never do until I've had it for a few days. I want to let it settle in first and get to know it a little before I go spouting opinions.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:51 PM

You did great. You got the guitar early, a discount, extra strings, and a story.

Love your guitar.

Last edited by mc1; 11-08-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:18 AM

I'm really pleased it's all worked out for you. Enjoy your new Taylor!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion