The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2020, 09:59 AM

Way back before CDs, records used to be "released" on Tuesdays, meaning Tuesday was the day you could buy it at the record store. In order for that to happen, record stores received the albums prior to Tuesday. But the record companies prohibited stores from selling prior to Tuesday, because that would give stores selling earlier than Tuesday an unfair advantage. I remember Penguin Feather record store in Virginia staying open after midnight when Darkness on the Edge of Town came out, so they could sell it early Tuesday morning.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:16 AM

Update:

I emailed Taylor and explained the situation. This is the response I got:

"Sorry to hear about this, it sounds like a huge hassle. I'm not sure why the store put a hold on that guitar. Let me know if you still want to do the deal with them and I'll see if our sales rep for Guitar Center can get them to release it.

Thanks,"

I don't know what the outcome will be, but you got to hand it to Taylor. That's pretty good cs if they are willing to step in like that.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Taylor CS is top notch. Hope it all works out for you!
Old 11-06-2020, 11:41 AM

We know that's unethical. But legally, depending on how state's interpret contract law, that's might not be legal to do. Common business law includes the notion of "offer and acceptance". When an offer it made and accepted by the other party, whether or not it is put in writing it is usually a legal binding contract. What the paper portion of does essentially is specifies the terms agreed to in the offer and acceptance, but paper isn't required and an agreement would still stand, though more difficult to prove in court without the paper. Given a specific amount does it give the store a time period to back out of the deal? I don't know. It depends on the local laws. What they did isn't right, and if you're that upset, perhaps you shouldn't just take it. If it were me I would have been much more aggressive at the time before hauling all the gear back home. JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-06-2020, 11:49 AM

So. Put it on layaway
Leave your stuff for a reciept
Dated 10 days from now
Showing a zero balance
Paid in full,
Than pick it up in10 days

Hopefully they are more honest than Sam Ash.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:50 AM

Taylor CS is absolutely top notch. I've had a few really good experiences with them and plan to one day visit their factory when the pandemic restrictions ease.

Their compound is huge, btw, I just dropped off one of my guitars for adding ES2 to it. They aren't doing tours now but since it's only a couple of hours away from me I chose to drop off my guitar rather than ship it.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 11-06-2020, 12:09 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Update:

I emailed Taylor and explained the situation. This is the response I got:

"Sorry to hear about this, it sounds like a huge hassle. I'm not sure why the store put a hold on that guitar. Let me know if you still want to do the deal with them and I'll see if our sales rep for Guitar Center can get them to release it.

Thanks,"

I don't know what the outcome will be, but you got to hand it to Taylor. That's pretty good cs if they are willing to step in like that.
Great! You were smart reaching out directly to Taylor. I’ve had nothing but great service from them over the years. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
We know that's unethical. But legally, depending on how state's interpret contract law, that's might not be legal to do. Common business law includes the notion of "offer and acceptance". When an offer it made and accepted by the other party, whether or not it is put in writing it is usually a legal binding contract. What the paper portion of does essentially is specifies the terms agreed to in the offer and acceptance, but paper isn't required and an agreement would still stand, though more difficult to prove in court without the paper. Given a specific amount does it give the store a time period to back out of the deal? I don't know. It depends on the local laws. What they did isn't right, and if you're that upset, perhaps you shouldn't just take it. If it were me I would have been much more aggressive at the time before hauling all the gear back home. JMO
Yea, I know. I could have put up a fight. But this Covid thing, a stressed out election going on, etc, etc. It just wasn't a battle worth starting for me. I've got plenty of nice guitars sitting around the house. Disappointing, yes. Frustrating, yes, but I'm not going to let it get to me like that. Life's too short. Anyway, looks like the guy from Taylor is trying to get it sorted out for me.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
Think of it more like a movie opening. There's a set date, and the movie screens on that day. Of course the theatre needs the film prior to the opening day, but then needs to hold it until then.

In this case, the projectionist got their reels mixed up and started playing one before the release date. The OP was in the theatre and wanted to keep watching "Rose and Red's Limited Sound Adventure", but the manager knew it wasn't opening day yet and pulled the plug.

Unfortunately he had to lug his ginormous popcorn and soda-pop out into the lobby and either take it home or throw it out.

Hope this helps.
nah. Didn't realize Taylor went Hollywood. Wait for the new release! Oh, that is beginning to ring a bell. I am glad that they are working with you. Good thoughts on your next guitar OP!

Last edited by Jobe; 11-06-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:40 PM

Looks like the guy from Taylor was true to his word. Just got this email:

"My name is Rusty and I am the store manager of Guitar Center in Atlanta. I just tried giving you a call in regards to the Taylor guitar you wanted to purchase yesterday. I deeply apologize for the poor experience and the mistake we made by preemptively having an unreleased model on our showroom floor. My district manager just called me to tell me that we have approval to sell the guitar to you. If you don't mind, please give me a call back at the store so we can make things right."
Old 11-06-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Cool. Yeah it’s been a pain in the neck but go get that beautiful guitar so you can enjoy it all weekend!
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 11-06-2020, 03:03 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Looks like the guy from Taylor was true to his word. Just got this email:

"My name is Rusty and I am the store manager of Guitar Center in Atlanta. I just tried giving you a call in regards to the Taylor guitar you wanted to purchase yesterday. I deeply apologize for the poor experience and the mistake we made by preemptively having an unreleased model on our showroom floor. My district manager just called me to tell me that we have approval to sell the guitar to you. If you don't mind, please give me a call back at the store so we can make things right."
Sweet! So now you get a great guitar and a great story. That beauty already has mojo. Congrats.

Old 11-06-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Duplicate post

Last edited by Lillis; 11-06-2020 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 11-06-2020, 03:38 PM

$50 isn’t too bad.. at least u got something..
Old 11-06-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
Why couldn't you leave your trade-in items with them and go back in 10 days and pick up the 414ce LTD?
This.........
Recoding King Series 7 000 (Nashville Tuned)
Epiphone DR-212 (12 string)
Epiohone PRO-1 (Classical)
Gold Tone MC-150R/P Banjo
Dean Backwoods Banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion