The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post

As a small bit of revenge, I'll let you in on a secret you aren't supposed to know for the next 10 days. The new Taylor 414ce LTD for 2020 is rosewood back and sides and a redwood top. Take that GC and Taylor - cat's out of the bag! Ha!

At least I got some exercise today.
So, what'd you think of the guitar? What was so impressive about it? I've never owned or even played a redwood top guitar.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I realize your pain. I had something like that happen to me but I would urge you to "unlax" a little (as Mr. Bugs Bunny would say) and think about that guitar you like so much... as well as the $50 in savings for you.
Quote:
Yea, I'm ok. Just venting a little. I'll get over it.
Breath in...
Breathe out...
Move on...
Take the deal in 10 days.

But I can understand the need to vent...
Old 11-05-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like you were happy with the original deal. Situation definitely sucks but I think I would have them promise to keep it boxed up for the waiting period and go through with the deal. Sounds like you want the guitar enough.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 11-05-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

In my experience at GC, the trade in value is no higher or lower than the cash price. I would have taken the deal, but as cash, then asked them to hold the guitar until I could come buy it.

I have sold a few instruments to GC and in each instance they tell me what they will give me for my instruments, then ask if I want the money or do I want to apply it towards something else.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
Breath in...
Breathe out...
Move on...
Take the deal in 10 days.

But I can understand the need to vent...
I'm with Bill here. I can see being upset, but seriously, just go back and get it in ten days. I mean, someone made a mistake. It happens . Not everyone can be perfect all the time. If you really want it, don't let it go over this.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-05-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
In my experience at GC, the trade in value is no higher or lower than the cash price. I would have taken the deal, but as cash, then asked them to hold the guitar until I could come buy it.

I have sold a few instruments to GC and in each instance they tell me what they will give me for my instruments, then ask if I want the money or do I want to apply it towards something else.
Well, yes, I could have sold the gear outright and just walked out with a check, but by doing so, it would have cost me $270. There is no sales tax on the portion of traded in value in Ga. I schlep gear for my gigs and most don't pay that much. Might as well schlep it some more to save $270.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwhite View Post
So, what'd you think of the guitar? What was so impressive about it? I've never owned or even played a redwood top guitar.
I liked it. Played really, really well. I'm also a fan of rosewood B&S's, so there's that. Redwood is a lot like cedar, but it has a bit more headroom and clarity, but you still get those thick trebles and low end bloom. I play mostly fingerstyle, and it's a great tonewood for that, but I also feel like it's a tad more versatile than cedar because of the increased headroom.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:12 PM

You'd think their computer would put a hard stop on it?

OF course they do use a program that appears to be TRS-80 compatible.

That sucks.

Also foolish. You know they are making $$$ off of your old stuff. Probably double mark up or close. And more cool used stuff gets more eyes in the store. Just short sided.

If it makes you feel better, they marked my BR-160 at $399 used. I think a boo boo was made and they priced it as a BR-140.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:23 PM

Not to discount your frustration, justified to be sure, but that's happened many times with GC. Sadly your experience involved a heavy amp.

Sounds like they tried to make it "right". Don't miss out on a guitar you really want. Good luck!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-05-2020, 02:59 PM

did they at least put that one aside for you so you can go back and complete the deal, should be quick this time
Old 11-05-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Turns out it is not supposed to be released for another 10 days. Somebody had mistakenly put it out on the floor early with a price tag.
Don't suppose the manager could have done the deal and just made you promise not to tell anyone about it for 10 days?
Old 11-05-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Don't suppose the manager could have done the deal and just made you promise not to tell anyone about it for 10 days?
Na, sales guy asked the manager. No way to make the sale in the computer even if they wanted to. He also said it would jeopardize their arrangement with Taylor. I didn't push it.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:36 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Actually, he did. He offered $50 more for trade in value if I come back and do the deal in 10 days. I don't think I'll be going back, for a while anyway, so no, I didn't get any compensation.
Major bummer. But, honestly, if I liked the guitar as much as you seem to I’d take the extra $50 off, pick it up in ten days and chalk it up as a score.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Major bummer. But, honestly, if I liked the guitar as much as you seem to I’d take the extra $50 off, pick it up in ten days and chalk it up as a score.
Yea, I probably will. I've cooled down a bit already. It's just a frustrating way to get a new guitar.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:50 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Yea, I probably will. I've cooled down a bit already. It's just a frustrating way to get a new guitar.
Good for you. Don’t blame you for being mad...but don’t let it keep you from snagging a great guitar. At least you know no one can buy it out from under you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion