The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2020, 10:19 AM

Hmmm, I just did an upgrade mostly because of GAS and not so much out of needs.

I had a Martin GPCPA4 rosewood that was a little bigger than I liked and a neck I was never really that crazy about. A test of a Boucher started my GAS. Could I afford it? It certainly wasn't going to break me but at the same time I could definitely put the money on other things.

Ultimately I wanted a 000 sized guitar. The hunt was on, checking out every kijiji ad, listening to YouTube videos of different brands and models. Heard the buzz about how good a 000-16GT was for the money.

My local shop had a 000-18 coming in. Once I tested it, that was all she wrote. Sold!!!

So anyway, as a guy who is definitely an intermediate player, the 000-18 is way more than I needed to spend. Is there more bang for the buck in a GPCPA4 than a 000-18? I will let others debate this.

Would I make the same deal, essentially getting a $4k (Canada) guitar for $2.6k? All day, every day, 100 times out of a 100.

I know that if I had of bought a different brand or a lower series Martin, I would have always wanted for the 000-18. Was it worth it? Hell yes!!!!!

Anyway, as far as all this you spend this much, you gain this much crap, to my ears the 000-18 is a totally different animal to the GPCPA4. My only regret is not buying a 000-18 when I bought my first Martin.

End of rant. Time to play the darned thing
Old 11-10-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

These threads about diminishing returns are very much like the "is-it-worth-it" threads.

I have listened to players pick up and play wonderful guitars and make them sound pretty mundane. I have watched blank looks on some faces while others completely light up when a fantastic guitar is being played by a great player.

I have access to a wonderful 1928 Steinway grand that is in terrific shape and always kept in tune. I have recorded three CDs using this piano played by a terrific player and it sounds absolutely gorgeous. When I play it, it sounds completely unimpressive, but then I am not much of pianist.

I enjoy my guitars and after I've spent the money, I try not to rank them but rather, choose which one to play based on the character of the song I am working on.

I hear diminishing returns when I need to put a new set of strings on.

YMMV.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion