The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Great info! Thanks Taylor. The Anthem SL is good gear. I would suspect its better than the Lyric alone, but that's just my best guess.
I don't want to go off on a tangent here, but since you asked

IMO and IME, the Lyric is a great-sounding pickup if it is used in solo/duo, or otherwise "quieter" styles. Think fingerstyle or singer-songwriter type gig. It's a natural acoustic tone. But it is a "limiting" pup if one needs more than this.

Conversely, the SL is a Lyric with the UST. Same good, acoustic core tone, but the piezo brings in bass and percussive response that you simply cannot get from a Lyric (which is why many deride the Lyric because they didn't see this coming). This difference is key as most think since they do, in fact, share the same mic component, they must sound the same ...not at all the case! They "can" sound the same under "softer" conditions; however, raise the volume and/or dynamics, or in a band with an acoustic drummer, and this is where the Lyric falls very short and the SL excels. IMHO, anyway.

Carry on with the GP love. Just tried a 317 and I dig it. It won't replace my others, but I can absolutely hear why it's making a hit.

Edward
Old 07-16-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post

IMO and IME, the Lyric is a great-sounding pickup if it is used in solo/duo, or otherwise "quieter" styles. Think fingerstyle or singer-songwriter type gig. It's a natural acoustic tone. But it is a "limiting" pup if one needs more than this.

Conversely, the SL is a Lyric with the UST. Same good, acoustic core tone, but the piezo brings in bass and percussive response that you simply cannot get from a Lyric (which is why many deride the Lyric because they didn't see this coming). This difference is key as most think since they do, in fact, share the same mic component, they must sound the same ...not at all the case! They "can" sound the same under "softer" conditions; however, raise the volume and/or dynamics, or in a band with an acoustic drummer, and this is where the Lyric falls very short and the SL excels. IMHO, anyway.

Carry on with the GP love. Just tried a 317 and I dig it. It won't replace my others, but I can absolutely hear why it's making a hit.

Edward
The Anthem or Anthem SL does not employ the Lyric, it's a different pickup. That's what I was told on the telephone by one of their techs.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post

Edward
Good stuff Edward. Thanks. I completely agree. I asked and not off topic at all. I mentioned how the Taylor ES2 challenges me and personally leaves me wanting. My favorite acoustic Pick up has been the Anthem for the past few years. I've own 4 or 5 acoustics with the Anthem and it worked great in every one of them. I play solo or Duo and at times I still need to tame feedback depending on volume or proximity to my Bose or acoustic amp. I also prefer punchy tight low frequency notes and I think the UST in the Anthem or SL is punchier than a Lyric would ever be.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I for one are very impressed with this demo of the Taylor 717.
It seems to have many of the characteristics that I often chase for sound.
Very Open & alive sounding. Much more so than your Martin. Yet the solidness of the Martin leaves a smoother feeling.
In your first recording with Elixirs I found it a bit peaky, dynamics wise. Notes shooting out a little too strong. With the Santa cruz mid tension, I found it considerably tamed and more even.
And I can not help but wonder if with Medium gauge strings, bone saddle, wood pins it might even bring a perfect balance resulting in controlled volumes with this lovely Openness.
I do love the openness you have demonstrated with this guitar. If this guitar can be tamed-controlled just a little bit more, it might prove to be an outstanding consideration. I am most certainly intrigued!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I for one are very impressed with this demo of the Taylor 717.
It seems to have many of the characteristics that I often chase for sound.
Very Open & alive sounding. Much more so than your Martin. Yet the solidness of the Martin leaves a smoother feeling.
In your first recording with Elixirs I found it a bit peaky, dynamics wise. Notes shooting out a little too strong. With the Santa cruz mid tension, I found it considerably tamed and more even.
And I can not help but wonder if with Medium gauge strings, bone saddle, wood pins it might even bring a perfect balance resulting in controlled volumes with this lovely Openness.
I do love the openness you have demonstrated with this guitar. If this guitar can be tamed-controlled just a little bit more, it might prove to be an outstanding consideration. I am most certainly intrigued!
Point well taken about the balance of the guitar with the Santa Cruz strings. One of the things I most love about this guitar is the Builders Edition features: Satin Finish is rich and elegant, the beveled edges are super comfortable, the Torrified top most likely opens up the woody/organic aspects that I like about the guitar etc. The V Class bracing works brilliantly with the voicing this body shape offers.

A Bone Saddle would be really fun to try. Since this is a demo, I don't have the ability to try that.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Gary, you really don't want to return this guitar to the dealer, do you?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-16-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Gary, you really don't want to return this guitar to the dealer, do you?
I really like it. But it still doesn't check a couple of critical boxes for me in terms of required features. 1. It lacks a Cutaway. Yes I use upper register access regularly. 2. I like, but do NOT love the Taylor ES2 PU.

So back it goes. But I am definitely impressed and a fan of this model.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-18-2020, 02:22 PM

Default RE:Groberts 717 demos

Wonderful playing, sir-- lovely touch! I just ordered one of these to try out, so your demos are very relevant. At first, I was considerably less than captivated. It wasn't until you restrung the guitar that I could imagine it as something I might like. What a difference ! I've ordered a bone nut that will, hopefully, lend further improvement. I've always been a Martin guy, but hate the 2018 neck they're putting on some many models, now. If not for that neck, I'd buy a J40 today but Martin has forced me to consider other body types and brands. But I digress-- the primary reason for this post is to express my appreciation for your efforts to help us get a better impression of the 717. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:38 PM

Nothing to add, just wanted to say thanks for the time and effort to demo the 717. I'm considering one, and this info - and the discussion it prompted - is welcome.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
Wonderful playing, sir-- lovely touch! I just ordered one of these to try out, so your demos are very relevant. At first, I was considerably less than captivated. It wasn't until you restrung the guitar that I could imagine it as something I might like. What a difference ! I've ordered a bone nut that will, hopefully, lend further improvement. I've always been a Martin guy, but hate the 2018 neck they're putting on some many models, now. If not for that neck, I'd buy a J40 today but Martin has forced me to consider other body types and brands. But I digress-- the primary reason for this post is to express my appreciation for your efforts to help us get a better impression of the 717. Thanks!
I am so glad it was helpful. The 717Builders Edition is one of my favorite Taylors to date. Very musical guitar and very rich up and down the fingerboard.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-18-2020, 06:07 PM

Well, it certainly sounds good in your capable hands !
Old 11-19-2020, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Hey Stuart,

You need to clear old messages from your personal message folder per AGF.
So I can send you shipping info
Phone number would help.

Thanks, Mike (J-40)

Edmonds, Huss & Dalton, Martin....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion