The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2020, 06:59 PM

https://reverb.com/item/36501762-tay...Y3YsVe1gKM9tqk

Looks perfect
Old 11-16-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniO View Post
I am moving towards a martin and some other brands thanks to this thread. Do you love your CEO-7. That is on my list.
I love my CEO-7. Just make sure you are ok with the neck.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:40 PM

Taylor Academy 12. Costs $499.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4now View Post
That's a pretty one right there.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniO View Post
Because of this thread of comments and my lack of success with Taylor, I have actually decided to move towards martin. My issue is that I live in a little beach town on the gulf coast and it’s almost impossible to find a shop with the guitars I need to try out! But I’m working on looking into Martins now.

I will for sure miss the “bling” of a the Taylors.

Beach town, Gulf Coast? We were feeling sorry for you but now we are envious....go find your own guitar......

Kidding of course.

Err, the Taylor GC stands for Grand Concert while the Martin 00 14 fretters were called Grand Concert size, I believe....

Err, love my Martin CEO7 for full on fingerpicking, you may hate the V neck like most people seem to. While a need to try it in person is there, the modern 2020 Martin MLO neck is similar (ish) to the Taylor neck. When the MLO neck first came out a few years back, there was a bit of talk of plagiarism....

So, a brand new Martin 00 standard reimagined would probably suit you. The 00-18 is sitka/mahogany and what most blingless guitars look like. The 00-28 is sitka-rosewood and blingless on the front. You are paying for exquisite tone on both guitars that you have probably heard on a million recordings as they are a balanced sound and ....easier to record than dreads.

Bling.....on a Martin starts to get a little expensive...00-42, 00-45, Custom Shop phew....livng on the beach and living the dream.

BluesKing777.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:58 AM

I have found if you love the Taylor neck (as I do) it can be tough to adapt to another neck shape. I owned a 000-18 years back and could not adjust to the MLO neck. Maybe weird as they are close but there's just something about the Taylor neck for me. The CEO-7 is sooooooo different you really need to try that first.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I have found if you love the Taylor neck (as I do) it can be tough to adapt to another neck shape. I owned a 000-18 years back and could not adjust to the MLO neck. Maybe weird as they are close but there's just something about the Taylor neck for me. The CEO-7 is sooooooo different you really need to try that first.
Agreed. I loved the sound of a D-18 I had, but the MLO neck felt a little too thin for me. Maybe just the one I had, but there was a difference.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
...love my Martin CEO7 for full on fingerpicking, you may hate the V neck like most people seem to...
I'm a fan of the Taylor neck. But, for whatever reason, I also like the Mod V neck on the CEO-7 - and I don't have large hands. If you can find a CEO-7 it would be a good thing to check out.

I find the Larrivee neck to be similar to Taylor's. So consider a Larrivee too if you have any near you.

Enjoy the beach!
Old 11-17-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I'm a fan of the Taylor neck. But, for whatever reason, I also like the Mod V neck on the CEO-7 - and I don't have large hands. If you can find a CEO-7 it would be a good thing to check out.

I find the Larrivee neck to be similar to Taylor's. So consider a Larrivee too if you have any near you.

Enjoy the beach!
yes! the Larrivee necks are quite similar
Old 12-16-2020, 06:56 AM

Hey friends!

After tons of searching, I found a new 912 off of reverb. The dealer was awesome, cut the cost down below 4K because he was struggling to sale the Taylor. So I guess there is some truth that a Taylor without the electronics and cutaway don’t sale as good as ones with both those things.

Went back and forth about buying it for 3 weeks. It came from a batch that Taylor had set aside for their 2020 roadshows. Since those didn’t materialize they were giving some of the stock to dealers to sale.

The guitar was supposed to be sent back to Taylor last weekend. But I called and bought it. Way more guitar than I ever really expected to own. Crossing fingers this will be an awesome guitar.

I did find out from Alamo music, who I almost ordered a guitar from (would have had to wait 3 months for one from factory)... what I was trying to order was called a “modified model program” guitar. Not a BTO. Not a custom. They were they first to ever figure that out. If ever in need again I will likely just order from them.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Beach town, Gulf Coast? We were feeling sorry for you but now we are envious....go find your own guitar......

Kidding of course.

Err, the Taylor GC stands for Grand Concert while the Martin 00 14 fretters were called Grand Concert size, I believe....

Err, love my Martin CEO7 for full on fingerpicking, you may hate the V neck like most people seem to. While a need to try it in person is there, the modern 2020 Martin MLO neck is similar (ish) to the Taylor neck. When the MLO neck first came out a few years back, there was a bit of talk of plagiarism....

So, a brand new Martin 00 standard reimagined would probably suit you. The 00-18 is sitka/mahogany and what most blingless guitars look like. The 00-28 is sitka-rosewood and blingless on the front. You are paying for exquisite tone on both guitars that you have probably heard on a million recordings as they are a balanced sound and ....easier to record than dreads.

Bling.....on a Martin starts to get a little expensive...00-42, 00-45, Custom Shop phew....livng on the beach and living the dream.

BluesKing777.

I had the hardest time getting my hands on any Martins. Down here it’s like the shops just don’t want to stock them anymore. And the ones that were dealers said that the Nazareth shop was really behind on guitar deliveries because of COVID. Oddly I was able to play more Gibsons and almost walked out a local shop with a l-00 studio. But because of their limited stock I couldn’t compare it with an l-00 original.

I would have loved to find a CEO-7 to play but was nervous in buying sight unseen!

Beach towns are awesome but the food here is horrible and you get sand EVERYWHERE in you house and car. Lol
Old 12-16-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I’ll see how the 912 goes but I will likely still need a guitar I feel more comfortable with pulling out! I still plan to search for a CEO-7!
Old 12-16-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

My favorite of my guitars is my Taylor GC7. Grand concert, tiny body, no cutaway, no electronics.

They don't sell them anymore like this but you may be able to find one used.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-19-2020, 08:46 PM

I had to order my Taylor 810 from the dealer with no cutaway no electronics. I was told by the dealer that they only order Taylor guitar s with the cutaway and electronics because that is what people will buy.
I told my dealer that if there next batch of Taylor’s ordered had a Taylor 810 with no CE I would buy it.
That spring April 2013 I got a call that a Taylor 810 was just delivered to the store. I bought it that day.
I guess you could say that I ordered a custom Taylor guitar.😁
Old 12-20-2020, 11:37 AM

As noted above, Taylor's made several GC-sized models with no cutaways/electronics. From this site's Classifieds I bought a '10 GC5 (cedar over mahogany), and from Guitar Center's "used" offerings I bought a '14 M522, which is an all-hog 522 spec'd by Guitar Center for a small run. Love them both, and each was purchased for a smidge over $1K.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion