The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well only John would know for certain but But given he already has a PRS Signature Amp and since 2016 or perhaps earlier he had been playing a built for him PRS Private Stock Super Eagle that he was involved in with a (limited run of 100) Which he used for the Dead and Company Tour It's not surprising.
I saw his PRS signature amp at Chicago Music Exchange this past week-end. Didn't realize he had one.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Well you got to remember at the time of Boogie Bodies, Charvel, Schecter, Mighty Mite, onto Pensa-Suhr, Anderson, Sadowsky, Kubicki, Buscarino (Nova), .. Strats weren't exactly revered for their quality in terms of woods and finish so that's how the boutique parts and eventually full guitars arose. So I don't think it's fair to dismiss them as partscasters. They may be copies, but great guitars in their own right...
If I had the motivation and desire, like if my Strat were to suddenly break in half , I'd probably build a partscaster of my own. I'm really, really happy with the Warmoth neck I recently put on it, it's much nicer than the original ever was and as good as any electric guitar neck I've ever played, so I know it's possible to do much better than Fender, whether you buy from another manufacturer or buy the parts and assemble your own partscaster.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 03-13-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Meh...not trying to be too negative as I really like PRSs. But this is just another copy of a heavily copied guitar. To me it just looks like another partscaster which is where I put Suhr and Anderson and LsL and etc etc. While I am sure there are great copies out there...does another really break any new ground other than giving Mayer a sig copy of a strat? Does not look like it to me.
Yeah, Suhrs and Andersons are just parstcasters. Well, except for all the differences.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Any reason why Mayer went with PRS rather than Fender? He's been primarily a Fender player, correct?
He's been primarily a Fender guy, except when he was playing with Dead & Company, when he used PRS.

So I've heard two different things: first is that the guy he worked with at the custom shop left. The second is that Fender was pressuring him to use only Fender gear on stage - no other guitars, no other amps, and that didn't work for him.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
He's been primarily a Fender guy, except when he was playing with Dead & Company, when he used PRS.

So I've heard two different things: first is that the guy he worked with at the custom shop left. The second is that Fender was pressuring him to use only Fender gear on stage - no other guitars, no other amps, and that didn't work for him.
LOL so now he only uses a PRS guitar and PRS amp?! That don't make sense...
Old 03-13-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Yeah, Suhrs and Andersons are just parstcasters. Well, except for all the differences.
Yeah, except for the high-grade woods and components, flawless finishes, compete customization, and perfect setup (and in the case of Suhr, the fretboard and frets PLEK'd).

Anderson's guitars have featured a trapezoidal neck heel and pocket, so they neck is fitted to body, and only requires 2 bolts.

Tom Anderson was probably the first boutique electric guitar maker to use a CNC. It was I believe Dave Schecter to introduced the FADAL to Anderson in the early 80s. Anderson, aside from building his own guitars, was also building bodies for Rudy Pensa and John Suhr (the rear routes on their guitars of that era were exactly the same.) Dave Schecter was also responsible for helping tool up Wayne Charvel as far as vacuum templates for their pin routers.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, except for the high-grade woods and components, flawless finishes, compete customization, and perfect setup (and in the case of Suhr, the fretboard and frets PLEK'd).

Anderson's guitars have featured a trapezoidal neck heel and pocket, so they neck is fitted to body, and only requires 2 bolts.

Tom Anderson was probably the first boutique electric guitar maker to use a CNC. It was I believe Dave Schecter to introduced the FADAL to Anderson in the early 80s. Anderson, aside from building his own guitars, was also building bodies for Rudy Pensa and John Suhr (the rear routes on their guitars of that era were exactly the same.) Dave Schecter was also responsible for helping tool up Wayne Charvel as far as vacuum templates for their pin routers.
Louie, I agree. The notion that these guys build "partscasters" is just ludicrous; I was responding to another poster who had made that assertion.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:38 PM

$2,300 for a PRS made Strat copy? I'm sure it is a very good guitar, but totally MEH for me...
Old 03-13-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Louie, I agree. The notion that these guys build "partscasters" is just ludicrous; I was responding to another poster who had made that assertion.
Yes me too... was just "echoing" and "amplifying" your comments..
Old 03-13-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I'm smiling because this product sure is giving a chapped bottom or some sort of irritating bother to people on other forums.

Im in the camp of liking some iconoclastic guitars and the newer makers like PRS and Collings - there are others worth knowing about too.

Being GAS-free I'm not concerned about the radius. I was used to the old school with my "52 AVRI" Fender and my AM Dlx Stratocaster had "modern". My "68 Thinskin Thinline" was advertised as 9.5 but it is not as flat as my Collings. Honestly, I adjust. At times I think the more curved fretboard is particularly good for rhythmically strumming barre chords. Most of the time I think I just need more skills.

Competition is good. Guitar choices are amazing.

If you can't stand change:

1. Feel free to help the F people in California.
2. Feel free to help the G people who appear to be a somewhat desperate these days.
3. Create or move to your own private Afghanistan - probably safer than the real one.

PRS has been building wonderful guitars since 1985. Not exactly new. I'm surprised it took Paul this long to slap a strat body on a prs neck.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:

I think the first one might have been Jon Carruthers, in Venice, Ca. (1981-82) He's quiet and humble.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
PRS has been building wonderful guitars since 1985. Not exactly new. I'm surprised it took Paul this long to slap a strat body on a prs neck.
If you include entry-level stuff, he did these SE-EGs back in the early 2000s.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Well, PRS isn't saying "Only use our stuff."

I don't get any sense that he's only playing PRS stuff now, although I don't follow him that closely. Where do you get that he "only" uses PRS stuff?

And if he does, it's one thing if a company makes an amp you want to use and asks you to only use that amp. It's another thing entirely if a company doesn't make your preferred amp and is asking you to use theirs. Kind of a big difference, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
$2,300 for a PRS made Strat copy? I'm sure it is a very good guitar, but totally MEH for me...
There are a lot of Fender-made strats in the ballpark $2k range. Custom shop stuff can go for a lot more than that. PRS's pricing is absolutely in line with the mid-high end of the Fender production-line run.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
First who said he only uses PRS ?? I am guessing he will still play one his Martins for acoustic and will play and probably perform with any of his other electrics when he wants to ..

And given he was able to have input in to the design of his signature amp
And input in the design of the PRS he used for Dead and Company.
And now he is able to have had input into the design a 3 single coil guitar made the way he likes it .........
Kinda makes a whole lotta sense to me .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-13-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes me too... was just "echoing" and "amplifying" your comments..
So would that be strict analog delay and tube amplification then ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars