The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm tellin' yez, two key switches that must be engaged simultaneously, spaced too far apart for one idiot to trigger. Works like a charm and requires TWO idiots to coordinate their idiotic efforts in order to screw up.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-15-2018, 12:14 PM

It was the computers sizing up the human population in a controlled environment like an island in the middle of the Pacific .
The humans that are supposed to be in charge are afraid to admit to what actually took place .
Old 01-15-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermiteTermite View Post
...'It is not frightening to die when we all die together..' -Nikolai Gritsenko-

https://youtu.be/YsXhgzX56cA?t=2066
Or as we said on the boat "no one dies alone on a submarine."
Old 01-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 PM

My opinion is, If there is no reason to change the status of a system, why make it necessary to push any button at shift change. The system should be set up, IN THE CASE OF AN ALERT, THEN YOU PUSH THE BUTTON. I don't understand a routine push of any button at a shift change ? Just leaves it open for a mistake exactly like the one that happened. Now what would of happened if someone somewhere push the wrong response button ?

Ed
Old 01-16-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
My opinion is, If there is no reason to change the status of a system, why make it necessary to push any button at shift change. The system should be set up, IN THE CASE OF AN ALERT, THEN YOU PUSH THE BUTTON. I don't understand a routine push of any button at a shift change ? Just leaves it open for a mistake exactly like the one that happened. Now what would of happened if someone somewhere push the wrong response button ?

Ed
Consensus seems to be:

1) the program had a horribly designed user interface and - besides which - the authorization should have required another set of eyes

but more importantly

2) a missile alert function should NOT be in the hands of state authorities as it is the FEDS that have all of the advance warning systems
Old 01-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Shouldn't at least TWO individuals need to press the button before it happens?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:48 PM

I wonder if someone is trying to test to see people's true reactions in the event that this really happened. I'm with you though, and in your position, I probably would just hug my family and hold on tight.

Although, I am already beefing up my survival gear and EDC gear....oh wait...wrong forum!
Old 01-16-2018, 02:04 PM

Unfortunately nobody will be fired. The Gov. Iggy and big kahuna in charge of the state emergency warning net work, Mr. Miyagi, said so at the press conference and took no questions. They realize it was a major SNAFU. We know the reason it took so long to cancel the warning was....gulp....they had to shut down the computer, redeploy the software and restart the computer and program. Oh my. The goof maker will get some retraining and keep his job. New procedure will include two people will need to confirm launch of the warning in the future. BTW before the goof maker actually caused the warning, his computer screen read... "Do you really want to execute this action?" and he confirmed YES! I love Hawaii and the folks there are the best, I will continue to visit one or two times a year. Aloha!
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:55 PM

The BIG question that no one has asked so far:

How will a carbon fiber guitar hold up in case of a nuclear attack?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:59 PM

Probably ok. But in my unscientific opinion there are more Ovation guitars per capita.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:32 PM
Guitar Gourmet

There's a story about James Cash Penney, an ultra-successful retail tycoon who started the retail chain with his name. As the story goes, a vice president of JC Penney asked for a meeting with Penney and brought the message, "Sir, I've lost one million dollars in a wholesale merchandise transaction that went bad. I'm very sorry sir. I'm sure you are going to want to fire me." Penney is said to have replied, "Why would I want to fire you? I just spent one million dollars educating you."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:25 PM

I heard that Homer Simpson did it, in his new job, after he screwed up at the nuclear plant.

HOMER SIMPSON.jpg
Old 01-17-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Unfortunately nobody will be fired. The Gov. Iggy and big kahuna in charge of the state emergency warning net work, Mr. Miyagi, said so at the press conference and took no questions. They realize it was a major SNAFU. We know the reason it took so long to cancel the warning was....gulp....they had to shut down the computer, redeploy the software and restart the computer and program. Oh my. The goof maker will get some retraining and keep his job. New procedure will include two people will need to confirm launch of the warning in the future. BTW before the goof maker actually caused the warning, his computer screen read... "Do you really want to execute this action?" and he confirmed YES! I love Hawaii and the folks there are the best, I will continue to visit one or two times a year. Aloha!

Lol! Yeah that’s pretty much the old boy network Hawaiian style. The guy got re assigned which is most likely a promotion to some other department. We will never know who he is other than he’s a “veteran”. It has been confirmed that Mr. Miyagi lied about needing the feds approval to send the official all-clear. This is ridiculous and can’t help it but to think this was no mistake, but either an experiment, or this happened for real but the missile got intercepted.

Oh yeah early Tuesday morning NHK news (Japan’s CNN pretty much) made a “mistake” about sending a ballistic missile threat alert. Yeah, I know, you can’t make this stuff up. And back in August, there was a false alarm in Guam too.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
Software. Both miracle and curse. I hate software (and some of the designers of it)

When I was in subs fortunately there wasn't very much of it. But what there was at the time required the newly designed and built boat be deaf, dumb and blind for 2 full hours every week as the sonar system would go catatonic at the precise end of one week.
So we rebooted. Rebooting would take 2 hrs.

I've hated rebooting ever since. And I've been wary of anything "brand new" as well.
Somewhat ironic to declare this...with software?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic