The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-27-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
Well I pulled the trigger today.

Went for an open back set, AKG 7xx.

My buddy reminded I have a nice set of Bose headphones too, which I’ve never used for guitar playing... I’ll have to do a comparison after the AKG’s arrive.

Try a Little Lanilai. Tube tone at 1/4 watt to 33 watts. It’s a true TV volume amp you can rock with and still talk over. Or crank to drive a 4x12 at stage volume.

A righteous little amp that will solve your problem without having to wear headphones.

http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-lanilei-3350lt.htm
Old 03-31-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
Try a Little Lanilai. Tube tone at 1/4 watt to 33 watts. It’s a true TV volume amp you can rock with and still talk over. Or crank to drive a 4x12 at stage volume.

A righteous little amp that will solve your problem without having to wear headphones.

http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-lanilei-3350lt.htm
Uhhh.

I’m not looking for any amp solutions. I have all bases covered.

I’m not the OP, I was simply attempting to get this thread back on topic, but oh well.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:41 PM

The obvious, at least to me, and far cheaper option is to just to turn the amp down. I can listen to the TV at normal volume while I play my electrics, not so with my acoustics. My acoustics are louder than I normally play my electrics.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:38 PM

I use the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro closed headphones with a quality headphone amp. I live in a townhome, which is similar to an apartment but we have pretty solid walls and only share one wall with a neighbor. Still, I gotta be mindful because on of my neighbors gets up early and goes to sleep at 9.

The headphones are comfortable and the sound is great.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I used the Sennheiser 280 for years with the Boss ME70 to play my electric guitar, although I was not living in an apartment, I was however living in a 55 plus area. Loved the sound, but I would end up with a headache...sucked.

I then bought the Beyerdynamic 880, fantastic sound, no headache.
I also used this cans plugged into the interface to record on the computer, love these cans. I didn't want to keep moving them so figured I'd buy a set for my ME70, but did not want to buy an expensive set.

While reading a thread on this forum I noticed that the open back AKG K240
were being recommended a bunch so I took a chance on the open back AKG K240, Perfect, I really enjoy these cans for the electric guitar and best of all, no headaches. The price was also good.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro Semi-open
open back AKG K240
Old 04-10-2018, 07:20 AM

Default Another noise complaint = Need headphone recommendations

Good thread. Tried a lot different models and ended up w/ Audio-Technica M50X. Best comfort for me and great sound as well.

Used with a Telecaster and a Katana50
Old 04-11-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryE View Post
Good thread. Tried a lot different models and ended up w/ Audio-Technica M50X. Best comfort for me and great sound as well.

Used with a Telecaster and a Katana50
Those are reliable, I have had mine for years.

Try the ATR70x sometime. They will blow you away.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Those are reliable, I have had mine for years.

Try the ATR70x sometime. They will blow you away.

My M30 that I bought a few years ago still blow me away. And I decided on those after trying much more expensive headphones back to back. I can’t shut up about Audio Technica headphones, always recommend them.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:45 AM

Hmmm.... I will now focus on improving my playing instead of checking out even nicer stuff! But thanks anyway for the recommendation!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
I think very few amps have great sounds coming out of their headphone jack. I do not know what kind of amp you have, but Blackstars 1w and Katana 50w are both great for headphones.
I'm a MASSIVE of the Blackstar HT-1 and HT-5. Blackstar's speaker emulation and headphone out sound fantastic–miles better than my Mesa/Boogie V:35, and I love that amp.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:52 PM

Some years back, I traveled for work on long term gigs that would last 4-8 months. I'd live in studio apartments or hotel rooms while there. On two of these trips, I took along electric guitars. For one overseas assignment, I plugged the guitar into a Boss ME25 and and listened through a set of Sennheiser HD545 headphones. On a later domestic assignment, I could travel the 1000 miles by car and took a 1/4 watt amp.

The headphones and ME25 worked OK, I suppose, but it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the Mahaffay 3350-LT (aka Little Lanilai) amp. The amp produced a really nice tube-based tone that could be played clean or saturated without bothering neighbors on the other side of the wall.

I think there are other brands, that could be used, and some very low powered solid state amps that can be scaled down to television-volume levels like my Mahaffay. You need to be able to scale down to less than a watt.

The particular model I used is a 3 stage amp. The first stage is a 12AU7 tube based preamp, the second stage, or power stage is based on a 12AX7 tube. That 1/2 watt power stage then line-level feeds a third solid state stage that can drive a couple of 4x12 cabinets at stage volumes (up to 33 watts).

Basically you use the controls to model the tone of the first two stages which you listen to in the privacy of you bedroom at 1/2 watt. The third stage, or second power stage then scales the volume as high as you want -same basic tone.

I've seen amps like mine sell for as little as $225. Mine was $350 new.

If you live in an apartment, I can't recommend these amps highly enough. Do yourself a favor and check them out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars