The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-21-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattzap View Post
"Such a repair is probably not viable looking at matters financially"

If it were mine, with a story that dear to me, there would be no expense spared to bring it back into 110% condition. There would never be a consideration at what a resale value might ever be.

I know my family has nothing like this to hand down, except for a piano that is long gone. We only visited my grandparents on my moms side two times. They had a piano in the back room that we banged on as 10 year olds until we were made to stop.

After my grandparents passed, her sister took their house and all of their belongings, except the piano. We learned then that the old piano was my mothers piano. She learned to play as a little girls any by 6 yrs old started playing in their morning church services. By 10 she was the church pianist.

I do not know the story behind the division in her family, but her sister placed the piano in the front yard, called her and said that if she wants her piano that she needs to come get it and she better hurry because it's raining right now. It would have been a 6 hour drive to get there. Needless to say, the piano was destroyed by a bitter past.
Sadly, this has been the case in my family as well. I expected this guitar to be long gone. I'm glad they decided to hang on to it.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:21 PM

That's great. I'm sure you will have it for a very very long time and once again she sings, wonderful.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesgt911 View Post
MLP=MyLesPaul My home away from home.

The value of the guitar is all sentimental. Worth it to me as I never plan to sell it. I am very happy I made this choice.
and that is reason enough. I really hope it has worked out well for you. Play it long and in good health.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 PM

A wonderful story - and hats off to you for getting that old bird back in playable shape.

I've always thought the world is a better place with each restored old guitar brought back to life. Their lifespan can be extended to multiples of our lifetimes, and they can bring joy to countless people we'll never know long after we've passed and the $ paid for the resurrection is forgotten.

I don't have any children, but I have had a couple of custom acoustics built - and like children they will likely live beyond me. It tickles me to think of somebody 20 years after I'm worm food playing one of these instruments, pausing and wondering where in the world did it come from? Who made it, who bought it, where has it been for 80 years? 100 years?

It took me a long time, but nowadays I truly appreciate the looks of a well used acoustic - countless stories in the chipped, cracked finish with the cigarette burns on the headstock...

I love acoustic guitars !
Old 07-22-2015, 10:13 PM

That has to be a true treasure to you.

I go to bed smiling.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 07-25-2015, 02:53 PM

Magnificent restoration, thank you for posting!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair