The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 05-21-2018, 08:42 AM

Default 2015 Martin D-35 Retro — SOLD

SOLD Shipping and PayPal included. Excellent condition and great guitar. This has the Fishman Aura F1 amplification system. I have something coming in and need to move a few items (Helix, JTV-69, if interested). I'll try and get better pics soon.

Last edited by robj61; 05-30-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 PM

For the Martin uninitiated, what is different about the "Retro" from a regular D35? Looks beautiful.. I personally love the 3pc backs, and this looks to be a fine example. Good luck with your sale!
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 05-21-2018, 10:09 PM

Thanks v,

The main difference is the aura f1 pickup/image system and European spruce top. I’m going to post a portion of an article from Acoustic magazine that will explain a lot better than I can.

“D-35E Retro £2,749

As you might expect, the spec between these two models is very similar. Possibly the most striking difference is that the Retro model includes a Fishman Aura Plus pickup, but we understand that there are a few other deviations along the line, too.

The thinking behind Martin’s Retro Series is to build them “like mother used to”. So can we expect the exact formula as the guitars built back in the mid-1960s? Not exactly. The main difference, of course, is that Brazilian rosewood is pretty much out of bounds for everyone these days and so you’re still getting Indian rosewood as a substitute here. However, if you have a taste for exotic hardwoods and a credit card that isn’t already too fried, Martin is producing a special D-35 with Madagascar rosewood back and sides and a Brazilian rosewood centre wedge – this is the D-35 Brazilian 50th Anniversary Limited Edition, and only 100 have been made. Martin has also announced the D-35E 50th Anniversary Limited Edition with a European spruce top (including Martin’s Vintage Tone System) combined with East Indian rosewood back, sides, and centre wedge. (Check out the interviews for more information about the 2015 anniversary D-35s.)

Among the differences between these two D-35s, the first is that the Retro’s top is European spruce as opposed to Sitka. We’re assured that this hasn’t been done on a whim, but merely to produce an alternative sound picture. In any case, it’s a good looking piece of wood, nicely ambered with ageing toner for additional vintage appeal. The Retro’s back and sides are Indian rosewood once again, with the same contrasting wedge of lighter coloured timber in the centre of the back. Another difference between this and the Standard is that the binding here is Ivoroid instead of white Boltaron. It’s slightly less vivid in appearance – Ivoroid being decidedly off-white in colour – which lends yet another touch of class to the guitar’s overall livery.

Mahogany is the “select hardwood” on this model, too; but this time the neck profile is different. On the Standard model the neck designation is “low profile”, but on the Retro it’s a low profile oval with what Martin refer to as a “performing artist taper”, which enhances playability. We’ll see about that in a moment, but for now we’ll continue with the spec in the form of Grover machine heads and Indian rosewood veneer, but this time the nut is 44mm, just one mm wider than on the Standard D-35.

Apart from that, the saddle is once again bone, the bridge ebony and just about everything else is as we left it with the Standard model. Did we mention that this guitar has a second strap pin? Obviously it has been built with performance in mind.

Fishman’s Aura technology is renowned for being able to mimic either other guitar body sizes – as is the case with the foot pedal series – or microphone profiles, as is the situation here. The electronic imaging built into the unit’s preamp was from a 1967 D-35 and so the chances are that the amplified voice of the Retro is as close as you can get to that cherished vintage sound.

Acoustically, though, we switched back and forth between the two D-35s and despite the more obvious fact that the Retro is heavier because of the pickup and preamp here, the sound here is perhaps more “open” than on its Standard counterpart. It sounds more mature, too, if you see what we mean. The Standard might be a tad louder, but any loudness is like that of an enthused juvenile as opposed to the Retro’s more grown up reserve. We could round it all up by saying that, acoustically at least, the Retro has a little bit more going on under the bonnet than the Standard in terms of its tonal soundscape.

The Fishman Aura Plus is not the easiest preamp system that we’ve seen as it takes a while to fully come to terms with the multifunctional controls that span easy mode, performance mode, phase, tuning, tone, and volume with just two rotary/push buttons. However, just a brief run through with the manual revealed that there are plenty of alternative sounds to explore. We set the pickup to “P” which is dry and unaffected in order to best hear the raw audio and the result was incredibly pleasing to say the least. That tonal maturity we mentioned a moment ago really comes through and flicking through the different mic simulations reveals that there certainly is bags here to play with. With all this diversity at hand, the chances are high that a performer will find exactly the amplified sound he or she is looking for.

You’re going to ask us which one we prefer, aren’t you? You know, it’s a difficult question to answer as both are simply fabulous in their own right. The Standard is a straightforward, good-sounding dread with all the accompanying punch that Martin has built their reputation upon. The Retro is around £750 more expensive, but you’re getting more variation, not only from the European spruce, which adds a dimension to the acoustic sound, but from the pickup’s vast tonal palette, too. If performance or recording is your aim, then the extra money for the Retro will be well spent. If you’re after a dread-for-all-seasons, as well as that illustrious guitar history, you’d do no better than seeking out the D-35 Standard.“

Last edited by robj61; 05-21-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:01 PM

I have this model, it is fantastic. Great tone unplugged but easily the best plug and play tone I have ever had, the Aura system is really something else. Great price on an unbelievable guitar
Old 05-22-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamarebel View Post
I have this model, it is fantastic. Great tone unplugged but easily the best plug and play tone I have ever had, the Aura system is really something else. Great price on an unbelievable guitar
Thanks. I agree with everything you said. I have a D18 retro that will never leave the stable and also another D35e. That’s the only reason this one might go.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:04 PM

Still available.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars