The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-25-2017, 01:41 PM

Here's my Gibson ES-339 Studio.

With a D'Angelico, which is all hollow except for a bridge block.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Dhart...

I actually sold my Epiphone as a "condition" of getting the Heritage, but yes...it played excellently! I had commented that it played as well as my Les Paul which cost about nine times as much. My decision to move into a nicer upgrade was based the feeling of playing that semi-hollow, which I had no idea originally that I would like so much. Obviously every guitars going to be different but the example of this Epiphone dot Studio that I had was great and hard to beat for the money.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Old 08-25-2017, 02:33 PM

Heritage and D'Angelico were 2 of the companies on my hollow body short list. Neither had a small laminate fully hollow body, so I didn't go further, but those are great guitars, imo. The D'Angelico I was considering, EXCEL-SS, is made in Korea (whose quality I like), though others in their line are custom built in the USA (preferred, when I can do it).

I didn't start out looking for the semi/hollow sound, but once I A/B'd stuff I liked on both and came to appreciate the differences between solid body and semi/hollow, I knew I had to get one.

This was part of my inspiration:

Old 08-25-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Heritage and D'Angelico were 2 of the companies on my hollow body short list. Neither had a small laminate fully hollow body, so I didn't go further, but those are great guitars, imo. The D'Angelico I was considering, EXCEL-SS, is made in Korea (whose quality I like), though others in their line are custom built in the USA (preferred, when I can do it).

I didn't start out looking for the semi/hollow sound, but once I A/B'd stuff I liked on both and came to appreciate the differences between solid body and semi/hollow, I knew I had to get one.

This was part of my inspiration:

Interesting review. He's spot on with his evaluation of the D'Angelico guitar. I play with a cleaner style than he demonstrated in his video and the guitar has a wonderful tone of it's own that doesn't really come through with the distortion he's added to his tone.

Semi-Hollow and Full-Hollow electrics are awesome instruments. My D'Angelico is an EX-SS, I paid $1500 for mine. The only internal block inside the guitar is directly under the bridge. Great build quality, playability, and tone. He's playing it with an overdriven style that may be, perhaps, more appropriate with a Strat or a Les Paul, but it does demonstrate that even with a more jazz-oriented guitar like this, one can rock out in overdrive.

Last edited by DHart; 08-25-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Ohhhhh...thats a beauty!
Old 08-25-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
The only internal block inside the guitar is directly under the bridge.
I love that sloppy OD style! I like old NYoung in Crazy Horse days, Jack White solos, and black keys' stuff, too. That guitar could handle all of that, imo.

You mention there being an internal block under the bridge. When I've seen the 335 assembly process, there's much longer internal center block that runs down from where the neck attaches, and the bridge attaches to the bottom of that block. You're suggesting the Excel doesn't have that center block, only a bridge mounting block. The Excel description from the site says: "Semi-Hollow with Center Block, Semi-Hollow with Bridge Post" and I'm not sure what means with respect to what I saw with the 335 construction. They mention semi-hollow twice, once with respect to "center block" and once with respect to "bridge post," as if those are 2 different things?? Any thoughts on that one appreciated. The Excel's still on my short list, so I need to know it all.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Todd it looks like your amp is built out of a tone generator. True?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Todd it looks like your amp is built out of a tone generator. True?

Bob
True dat! Tom over at Sonic Pipe amps builds a few of these from Hewlett-Packard tone generators from the 60's! So some "vintage" parts in this bad boy. He calls the amps "The Knob" because.... well because of the obvious reason there's a giant freaking knob on it...lol! Since I have this version gussied up a bit we made a plate for it and called it the elegant knob. I think I had a build discussion about this amp in the electric guitar and amp Forum somewhere.

:-)

Todd in Chicago
Old 08-25-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I love that sloppy OD style! I like old NYoung in Crazy Horse days, Jack White solos, and black keys' stuff, too. That guitar could handle all of that, imo.

You mention there being an internal block under the bridge. When I've seen the 335 assembly process, there's much longer internal center block that runs down from where the neck attaches, and the bridge attaches to the bottom of that block. You're suggesting the Excel doesn't have that center block, only a bridge mounting block. The Excel description from the site says: "Semi-Hollow with Center Block, Semi-Hollow with Bridge Post" and I'm not sure what means with respect to what I saw with the 335 construction. They mention semi-hollow twice, once with respect to "center block" and once with respect to "bridge post," as if those are 2 different things?? Any thoughts on that one appreciated. The Excel's still on my short list, so I need to know it all.
Chris... the 335 and 339 have a full, solid wood center block, about 3" wide running the full length from the end of the neck to the tail of the guitar. They are hollow on each side of that full length block.

The D'Angelico EX-SS is fully hollow, except for a small center block sitting directly under the bridge, about 3" wide and perhaps 1 3/4" to 2" long.

The EX-SS is an exceptional guitar and (I paid $1500 on sale) a bargain for what you pay. Build quality is top notch, fit and finish top notch, playability and tone top shelf. I especially like the version that I got, with all the hardware blacked out. Keeps it from being over-the-top bling. Lower bout is 15", so slightly wider than 339, slightly narrower than 335. Body is thin, a little under 2", I estimate.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
True dat! Tom over at Sonic Pipe amps builds a few of these from Hewlett-Packard tone generators from the 60's! So some "vintage" parts in this bad boy. He calls the amps "The Knob" because.... well because of the obvious reason there's a giant freaking knob on it...lol! Since I have this version gussied up a bit we made a plate for it and called it the elegant knob. I think I had a build discussion about this amp in the electric guitar and amp Forum somewhere.

:-)

Todd in Chicago
It just so happens that we have a Hewlett-Packard tone generator on the bench at work. I recognized the knob!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-26-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Chris... the 335 and 339 have a full, solid wood center block, about 3" wide running the full length from the end of the neck to the tail of the guitar. They are hollow on each side of that full length block.

The D'Angelico EX-SS is fully hollow, except for a small center block sitting directly under the bridge, about 3" wide and perhaps 1 3/4" to 2" long.

The EX-SS is an exceptional guitar and (I paid $1500 on sale) a bargain for what you pay. Build quality is top notch, fit and finish top notch, playability and tone top shelf. I especially like the version that I got, with all the hardware blacked out. Keeps it from being over-the-top bling. Lower bout is 15", so slightly wider than 339, slightly narrower than 335. Body is thin, a little under 2", I estimate.
Yours is beautiful - for those who haven't seen these up close to view the excellent finish work on these, check the well-done intro shots found here:

I found a pic of the 335 center block, here, at the 6 minute mark:

At the D'Angelico site for the SS - https://dangelicoguitars.com/guitars.../#DAESSHNBGSCB it says, "Now available with both our signature D’Angelico Stairstep trapeze-style tailpiece or a traditional stop tailpiece with full center block."

When I read that, I assumed the SS had the same center block as the 335, but that the guitar was available with either the trapeze-style tail or stop tailpiece (more of an appearance feature, than a functional one). From what you're saying, however, yours (with the trapeze) does not have a center block, but rather just a small floating block under the bridge, only. That suggests the guitar comes in 2 versions, center block, or not, depending on which tail piece is spec'd, which to me means the guitar comes as a semi-hollow or a fully hollow guitar, your choice. Am I reading that correctly? I didn't get that from their site materials, based on their presentation, and I think I'd have stressed that distinction more. Sounds like you only get the "full center block" if you choose the stop tailpiece?? Additional confusion ensues from all of the Excel SS ads on Reverb using "semi-hollow" even for trapeze guitars. Thanks for any clarification. The wife will kill me in my sleep if another guitar crosses the threshold in the near future, but it never hurts to keep an eye open.

Last edited by ChrisN; 08-26-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It just so happens that we have a Hewlett-Packard tone generator on the bench at work. I recognized the knob!

Bob
Ha! Very cool.....very recognizable if you know what it is.....

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Old 08-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

I ordered my custom Heritage H-555 through a dealer, but picked it up in person at the Heritage factory in Kalamazoo MI, at the historical 225 Parsons street location where, more or less, the Gibson company was created.

I went on the factory tour while I was there (highly recommended if in the area), and saw how their semi-hollow body guitars like my H-555 are made. In these pics you will see master luthier Pete Farmer showing some of the process.

When they put the the top and backs on, because they are arched, a shim is placed between the top or backs to close the gap.

You can see some of the glue on the benches that speaks to how long guitars have been made here. As Pete said, glue like that doesn't accumulate in 20 years....lots of history there, really neat tour.

Todd in Chicago

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 08-26-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I ordered my custom Heritage H-555 through a dealer, but picked it up in person at the Heritage factory in Kalamazoo MI, at the historical 225 Parsons street location where, more or less, the Gibson company was created.

I went on the factory tour while I was there (highly recommended if in the area), and saw how their semi-hollow body guitars like my H-555 are made. In these pics you will see master luthier Pete Farmer showing some of the process.

When they put the the top and backs on, because they are arched, a shim is placed between the top or backs to close the gap.

You can see some of the glue on the benches that speaks to how long guitars have been made here. As Pete said, glue like that doesn't accumulate in 20 years....lots of history there, really neat tour.

Todd in Chicago
My MIL lives just north of K'Zoo - when it's time for her funeral, I'm definitely hitting that tour If they made a smaller hollow body (they do offer a 13" semi), I'd have gone Heritage.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Yours is beautiful - for those who haven't seen these up close to view the excellent finish work on these, check the well-done intro shots found here:

I found a pic of the 335 center block, here, at the 6 minute mark:

At the D'Angelico site for the SS - https://dangelicoguitars.com/guitars.../#DAESSHNBGSCB it says, "Now available with both our signature D’Angelico Stairstep trapeze-style tailpiece or a traditional stop tailpiece with full center block."

When I read that, I assumed the SS had the same center block as the 335, but that the guitar was available with either the trapeze-style tail or stop tailpiece (more of an appearance feature, than a functional one). From what you're saying, however, yours (with the trapeze) does not have a center block, but rather just a small floating block under the bridge, only. That suggests the guitar comes in 2 versions, center block, or not, depending on which tail piece is spec'd, which to me means the guitar comes as a semi-hollow or a fully hollow guitar, your choice. Am I reading that correctly? I didn't get that from their site materials, based on their presentation, and I think I'd have stressed that distinction more. Sounds like you only get the "full center block" if you choose the stop tailpiece?? Additional confusion ensues from all of the Excel SS ads on Reverb using "semi-hollow" even for trapeze guitars. Thanks for any clarification. The wife will kill me in my sleep if another guitar crosses the threshold in the near future, but it never hurts to keep an eye open.
Yes. To a great degree, the models with the solid full-length center block are more or less like solid body guitars, with hollow wings. The version like I have with the stair step tailpiece is pretty much a fully hollow body with a fairly small bridge block, under the bridge.

Last edited by DHart; 08-26-2017 at 01:28 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars