The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 PM

Default Nut Slot String Depth - Nylon

I know it's ideal to have wound strings resting in their nut slots at about halfway through their diameter but what of unwound and more specifically nylon strings? Actually, the case I'm working on now is for an ukulele.

I'm noticing very deep string slot depths in the nuts if even higher ends ukes. These are almost always Tusq nuts. The intonation is very good all the way up the neck and there is no buzzing coming from the string slots at all. Is it just the case with ukuleles that this doesn't matter so much? Why so?
Old 07-27-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Is it just the case with ukuleles that this doesn't matter so much? Why so?
No.
Any nut can be made to function just as well with deeper slots. IMHO, the only reason to do the half diameter slots is for appearance.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:39 PM

Agreed with John. The function of the nut is contained within the bottom of the nut slot and its width. Rather than just half the diameter, I aim for just below the full string diameter for slot depth. Makes it easier for changing strings than deep slots, and slots too shallow (combined with low break angle) can exhibit slipping strings.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 AM

Thank you guys for the clarification.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair