The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-31-2018, 10:10 AM

Default A little Bob Thompson OM preview, now with photos

A while back, I discussed building a nice OM. I discussed specs and kinda left it at that. It was an insanely busy summer with work. I called Bob the other day to ask if he was about ready to start it. "Start it? I'm almost done!" Pleasant surprised.

I carried over the neck shape and several other specs from my DN to this OM. Went with torrified Sitka and Brazilian rosewood. The Brazilian rosewood is pretty old. It was on a small ship that sank in 1936, hence the small boat on the headstock.

I'd imagine it will be done in a month or so. My goal was to have something that can be flat picking and fingerstyle friendly.

Last edited by s2y; 09-29-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I had heard something to the effect that Bob's Om is Deeper? Can you list the dimensions?
Old 08-31-2018, 10:37 AM
Musical minimalist

I've almost taken the dive on a couple of his used instruments that have come up over the years - I saw that video of him a few years back and thought he seemed like a wonderful guy. Love the look of this one......and how cool you thought you had more time to wait, but you don't

Old 08-31-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I had heard something to the effect that Bob's Om is Deeper? Can you list the dimensions?
I don't have those on hand and apparently they aren't listed on the website.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've almost taken the dive on a couple of his used instruments that have come up over the years - I saw that video of him a few years back and thought he seemed like a wonderful guy. Love the look of this one......and how cool you thought you had more time to wait, but you don't
LOL, the only downside was that I wasn't quite expecting the bill so soon. Between the Brazilian RW and inlay work, I should probably sell an excess guitar or two.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:11 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
LOL, the only downside was that I wasn't quite expecting the bill so soon. Between the Brazilian RW and inlay work, I should probably sell an excess guitar or two.
Oh - I think you'll find a way

Old 08-31-2018, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Great story behind the wood! Looking forward to seeing full shots. Congrats!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-01-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Great story behind the wood! Looking forward to seeing full shots. Congrats!
Thanks. When possible, I like guitars to have a story behind them.

My 2nd KR acoustic was a nod to fishing with my grandpa and outdoor shows that often had nice fingerstyle acoustic in the background. In real life, we had great luck in Canada with a yellow jig and grub. I went with more of a fly fishing inlay since it looked a little more elegant.

I don't have pics handy, but the 12th fret inlay of my Bob Thompson DN was based on a letter on the door of my grandparents' house.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:42 AM

Those are really cool personal touches which make the guitars so special and yet I always have a hard time coming up with those ideas when having something built. Congrats to you.

Another one I like right now is a current Steve Kinnaird build with LS redwood and walnut where the finger board has fall leaves floating to the ground as a homage to a friend(s) that both the owner and builder knew, two different individuals, that took their own lives, just a way to remember them and still have a beautiful inlay.

Again congrats on this lovely build and your personal touches.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Those are really cool personal touches which make the guitars so special and yet I always have a hard time coming up with those ideas when having something built. Congrats to you.

Another one I like right now is a current Steve Kinnaird build with LS redwood and walnut where the finger board has fall leaves floating to the ground as a homage to a friend(s) that both the owner and builder knew, two different individuals, that took their own lives, just a way to remember them and still have a beautiful inlay.

Again congrats on this lovely build and your personal touches.
Thanks! Perhaps it could make for an interesting thread topic.

I initially started personalizing custom instruments with my name somewhere inlaid or under clear coat. I knew more than a few musicians who had gear stolen and I would have hoped this would make it more difficult. I spent many years on a bass forum and many members spoke poorly of "coffee table" basses. This was my response to them.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:51 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Gorgeous binding!
Old 09-19-2018, 02:08 PM

Guitar is done and shipping on Monday to avoid sitting in a warehouse all weekend.

Got the call from his son, Larry, this morning. Apparently it's the best GItar they've ever built. I'm pretty sure they told me that the last time, too.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Smile Bob Thompson Guitar

I just took delivery of Bob's Om guitar IR/Addy. AMAZING.
Funny story. Talked with Bob about possibility of demo-ing one of his guitars. He lives about 3.5 hrs away. He responds. " Do you have an airport near you ? We do I relayed. He then advises me he will FLY DOWN in his airplane HE CONSTRUCTED ! I went to our local airport(no tower), and he flies in on a ultra STOL " Just brand" airplane that he built from a kit. He pulls 2 of guitars out of the cargo hold and we go to my home with them. After playing his OM and an O model I decided to keep the OM.
He is a really amazing guy, funny and VERY INTELLIGENT. I've owned multiple high end guitars including Somogyi's,Ryans, Matsuda's Sobell's Petros' and his guitars are right up there. The only guitar I've ever had as loud is a Sobell Martin Simpson but it is MUCH LARGER. I encourage everyone to give him a try. His guitars start at 3500.00 ( what a deal !) .
Another funny fact the ENTIRE airplane was decked out in full CAMO. Meeting him and playing his guitar was one of the highlights of my year.
Blessings to all,
DoctorC
Old 09-20-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorc View Post
I just took delivery of Bob's Om guitar IR/Addy. AMAZING.
Funny story. Talked with Bob about possibility of demo-ing one of his guitars. He lives about 3.5 hrs away. He responds. " Do you have an airport near you ? We do I relayed. He then advises me he will FLY DOWN in his airplane HE CONSTRUCTED ! I went to our local airport(no tower), and he flies in on a ultra STOL " Just brand" airplane that he built from a kit. He pulls 2 of guitars out of the cargo hold and we go to my home with them. After playing his OM and an O model I decided to keep the OM.
He is a really amazing guy, funny and VERY INTELLIGENT. I've owned multiple high end guitars including Somogyi's,Ryans, Matsuda's Sobell's Petros' and his guitars are right up there. The only guitar I've ever had as loud is a Sobell Martin Simpson but it is MUCH LARGER. I encourage everyone to give him a try. His guitars start at 3500.00 ( what a deal !) .
Another funny fact the ENTIRE airplane was decked out in full CAMO. Meeting him and playing his guitar was one of the highlights of my year.
Blessings to all,
DoctorC
Very cool! He offered to fly my first guitar to me, but I am a little past the range of the plane he built.

I think he might have mentioned you saying that his guitars stacked up well to the likes of Somogyi et al. He and Larry are salesmen, not that the guitars need additional help. I agree his stuff is reasonably priced. It's tough finding that much guitar without spending 2x as much.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Smile Thompson Guitar

Thanks for the reply. Bob is really fun to talk to and tells me he is up tackling anything. I asked if he would consider using some of Bruce Petros' Purflex purling and possibly one of his rosettes and he was amenable.
In regards to. comparison to Somogyi's and other builders. They are spectacular guitars but in a different universe as far as artistry and rarity and each have a different sound. I'm just blown away however by what you get for the price from Bob. Recently saw a Somogyi on Dream Guitars sell for over 40 K, yikes.
Check out my Matsuda for sale there.
As always the sound of a guitar is proportional to the person playing it.However if it sounds and plays great, everything else is gravy.
Blessings to all,
doctorc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop