The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Bill Comins: Midway Gardens Tribute Guitar

I thought that I would share with the forum a true lutherie showpiece custom archtop guitar that was recently completed by Pennsylvania luthier, Bill Comins (http://www.cominsguitars.com/comins-handcrafted/home). The guitar was commissioned for a client and is a "tribute guitar" that incorporates a variety of design elements/motifs from to Architect Frank Lloyd Wright's Midway Gardens (http://www.mnn.com/your-home/remodel...midway-gardens). Some the photos below show the guitar features along with their architectural inspiration.

Bill built my custom archtop guitar about 4-years ago:

He is about to begin a new, experimental 16" custom commission for me. The guitar will have a carved archtop, an oval sound hole instead of f-holes, but will have a ladder braced flat back similar to a flat top. The top will be carved from a Carpathian Spruce billet; the back/sides and neck will be curly, quartersawn Honduran Mahogany.

Bill has designed some custom engravings for the Rodgers tuning machines. The guitar will have a Barbera Soloist transducer. I am fairly certain that We will not put up a build thread for this one, but I will put up some photos when its complete.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:10 PM

Default Bill Comins: Midway Gardens Tribute Guitar

Wow. Thanks for sharing.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 12-09-2015, 06:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Midway? No way, it's all the way!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:22 PM

Eh, paisano. Cool it would you?
Old 09-17-2018, 08:53 PM

Default Comins Midway Gardens Guitar

I play the Midway Gardens Guitar every day. You can almost forget how beautiful it is when you are playing since you are behind the guitar. But every time you open the case, there it is—a work of art.

You never forget how beautiful it plays and sounds.

I started by showing Bill a picture of a Frank Lloyd Wright window I have in my house and wondered if he could incorporate some of the triangle motifs into somewhere on the guitar. Like maybe one triangle. I didn't hear back for months and was certain I'd offended him. He was researching all the architectural devices and designs in the entire Midway Gardens building. At that point he took over and wouldn't let me see any bits of the progress until he was done. It started as a commissioned guitar and became a work of art and a great guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop