The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-16-2014, 09:06 AM

Default Re-entrant tuning on short-scale guitars?

I've been playing around with my little Giannini 1/4 - 1/8 size nylon-string guitar (19" scale) and considering a purchase of a requinto (22" scale) as well. I enjoy the little guy as an ukulele alternative for strumming and singing and it works well with songs that are chorded for capo on 3/4/5 since I can tune to low string at G or A (standard guilele / requinto tuning is A) and it works perfectly with standard chord fingerings/voicings.

I'm not a good enough on-the-fly transposer to read songbooks that are at original pitch, though, since I would have to shift the chords down a 4th (and tuning down doesn't work well on small guitars). I'm curious if anyone has tried re-entrant tuning for small guitars to play them at standard pitch. I'm thinking of shifting the strings over one position (i.e. 6->5, 5->4, etc.), tuning to regular pitch, and then swapping a lighter-gauge string for the low E, perhaps tuning to middle E--making eAdgbe'.

Anyone else done this? Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:17 AM

Default Southcoast guilele set

I just found this on Southcoast's string site (http://www.southcoastukes.com/013.htm). Seems like a decent setup for an instrument like my Giannini, though it's re-entrant on the 3rd string rather than the 2nd as I had envisioned:
Almost as soon as we released our EFS Guilele String Set, we were made aware that Guileles are now also being built in the style of a Baritone Ukulele as well - with 20” scales. We will now have an EFS set for the longer scale as well. The tuning on that scale will remain the same: e a d' g b e'.

As is common with longer scales, however, the need for wound strings is lessened. Therefore this set will have two wound strings, on the 6th and 3rd strings. The 6th is smooth wound, while the 3rd is a highly polished round wound. The other strings are plain, so the overall hand noise is very low. The tension will also be a bit more moderate, and the use of 4 plain strings gives this set a mellow character.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:33 PM

It like a guitalele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical