The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM

Thumbs up La Patrie Presentation Review

I don't notice many reviews here at AGF, but thought I would throw one in (I hope I'm not violating any rules by doing so). I have been noting some arthritis in my left index finger and thought perhaps a nylon stringed guitar would be easier on it, so I went searching. I will admit that I already own a Motif too. I got a very good deal on the Presentation. I originally went looking for a Taylor NS 24e, but couldn't find one locally and really didn't want to just buy one without playing it. So, how I ended up with the Presentation is a long boring story so I won't go into that.

It is all solid woods (cedar over Indian rosewood, mahogany neck, wood rosette, inexpensive tuners). Fit and finish are very good - no excess glue on the inside, no flaws that I noticed anywhere, good set up, even frets, etc.(kudos to the local music store for that).

I have played a number of other brand of nylon string guitars, many in the cross over variety, but other standard classical and flamenco models too. The sound and tone of this guitar compared with others up to and including double the price is exceptional. I was totally blown away by this (I guess that's why I bought it) I could feel it vibrating as I played it - I think that's a good sign. Playability due to the good set up was also spot on. I am mainly a country blues finger picker and was able to play a variety of those tunes really cleanly on the Presentation-not something I could do on other classicals or even crossovers. Not to make this post any longer than necessary, I would recommend a test drive of one of these before buying any thing else in its price category. All in all a wonderful instrument.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM

I'm a big fan of Godin and one of my four guitars is a Multiac Spectrum. I've owned a La Patrie Motif and I can understand your enthusiasm. The Motif is a parlor-sized guitar (although the neck is full sized), but with plenty of volume and richness of tone. I liked the Etude less, but I'd very much like to hear the other models.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJScott View Post
I don't notice many reviews here at AGF, but thought I would throw one in (I hope I'm not violating any rules by doing so). I have been noting some arthritis in my left index finger and thought perhaps a nylon stringed guitar would be easier on it, so I went searching. I will admit that I already own a Motif too. I got a very good deal on the Presentation. I originally went looking for a Taylor NS 24e, but couldn't find one locally and really didn't want to just buy one without playing it. So, how I ended up with the Presentation is a long boring story so I won't go into that.

It is all solid woods (cedar over Indian rosewood, mahogany neck, wood rosette, inexpensive tuners). Fit and finish are very good - no excess glue on the inside, no flaws that I noticed anywhere, good set up, even frets, etc.(kudos to the local music store for that).

I have played a number of other brand of nylon string guitars, many in the cross over variety, but other standard classical and flamenco models too. The sound and tone of this guitar compared with others up to and including double the price is exceptional. I was totally blown away by this (I guess that's why I bought it) I could feel it vibrating as I played it - I think that's a good sign. Playability due to the good set up was also spot on. I am mainly a country blues finger picker and was able to play a variety of those tunes really cleanly on the Presentation-not something I could do on other classicals or even crossovers. Not to make this post any longer than necessary, I would recommend a test drive of one of these before buying any thing else in its price category. All in all a wonderful instrument.
Is this the instrument you have discribed?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Patrie-Prese...item43aa012289
Old 12-07-2011, 03:46 PM

I started playing nylon 12 years ago because of arthritis and wrist problems. Sold my steel strings and over a couple of years most of the hand problems were gone. Learned correct technique from Scott Tennant's book, Pumping Nylon. I also pace myself, no marathon playing seasons two nights in a row, etc.

When I was shopping 12 years ago the La Patrie seemed like a cheap guitar compared to the others in the same price range. They sounded OK but just didn't look as nice as the others. However that might have changed. I only sampled 3. I have since read several glowing reviews such as yours. I wound up with a Manuel Rodriguez which was being imported by Fender back then. Now they are being sold at Guitar Center and the model number I have is today a different guitar. Not near the quality of mine, and a lot cheaper. That kills the resale value of mine but I don't care since I'm not going to sell it.

Cedar tops are best in the under $800 price range in my opinion.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
Is this the instrument you have discribed?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Patrie-Prese...item43aa012289
Yes, that is the one.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 AM

The Godin guitar company, which makes quite a few brands including the LaPatrie is a pretty solid guitar maker. I have a couple and they are certainly well made and exceptional valued instruments. Couple that with a product that is actually made in North America from raw materials that are mostly from here as well.. Enough on that.
Congrats on the new guitar and on moving to nylon. For comfort and tone, nylon is really the way to go. There are certain things that will always sound better on steel, but most things adapt to nylon nicely. Some people even string their guitars half and half (Willie I believe), so you are in good company!!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:20 AM

Mike:

Congrats! Looks like you scored a nice guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical