The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Get out and play in front of a live audience. It will push you to new levels. There's no faster way to improve!

If you're not a gigging musician you can easily find open mic nights in local bars and coffee houses. It's a good start and can often lead to a gig, or at least a showcase.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

One of the most important things that has helped me to learn is the one that I have to keep reminding myself to do - practice slowly. I mean paint drying, grass growing slow.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
One of the most important things that has helped me to learn is the one that I have to keep reminding myself to do - practice slowly. I mean paint drying, grass growing slow.
I don't think I can emphasise just how important and how slow you need to play for those difficult songs. I can go as slow as 6 seconds (maybe longer once fatigue starts to set in) between each crotchet when learning really technical songs.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 09-20-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
For people who like fingerpicking, I can't recommend going through some classical method highly enough. You'll be amazed at the power and variation in tone available from your hands, and learning "good technique" will help with any fatigue/tension issues you might have--or not even know you have.
I find I like playing some classical pieces. Bach's Air on a G string, for example. Carcassi's Caprice in Dm, -- and I improvise with them, add my own endings and so on. I think it gives you a terrific background, and don't think I could play Blind Blake as well without it. He gets a lot of tonal variation, much as classical guitarists do, by moving the right hand, and I'm convinced he used three fingers on the right hand with no pinkie plant.

A few of my other favorites: Bach's Boureé in Em, John Renbourne's Earl of Salisbury. It can take a lot of learning to get these better and better, and you learn a lot along the way.

To the original poster, if you have learned all the songs you liked, I suggest you find more.

That's one of the most challenging parts for me. Finding something I love enough to learn. But so far, I haven't run out. And I can always go back and re learn the one's I played long ago and don't completely remember.

I find as I learn the musical structure more, it is easier to remember how to play.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:04 PM

I agree with trying out some classical. I started out playing John Fahey and Bert Jansch type stuff. At some point I got a cheapish cutaway classical I think initially to play Bossa Nova. I found some old Carcassi studies and liked those and started playing more and more classical. There are old methods in university online libraries that are interesting if you can read music. Otherwise you’ll find a lot of stuff tabbed out of course. Carcassi’s Andantino in C is an easy piece to start with and you might find the beginning very familiar.

Come to think of it I think I got a first taste of classical trying to play John Renbourn tunes. The only one I could reasonably get through was Lady Nothing’s Toye Puffe.

I was also surprised to learn there’s practically a subculture of DADGAD playing if you’re interested in alternate tunings. I had to take a break because I nearly injured myself playing a Pierre Bensusan exercise.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have recently been dedicating myself to getting out of my default fingerstyle patterns and grooves. I was able to get a new teacher and that has been wonderful. She has been really tweaking my technique and I am playing more efficiently and getting better tone. I also have been slowing my practice way, way down as Barry mentioned, and it has helped tremendously. Now when I play at regular or uptempo, my chord changes are much smoother and my timing is better. So, I will stress how effective going very slow and focusing on clean technique when practicing can be.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-20-2018, 01:22 PM

Thank you everyone... I will try some classical pieces than. I'm more into Jose Gonzalez, Bert Jansch, Jackson C Frank, Nick Drake, and Bob dylan. Certain folk artists so i don't really want to get into travis picking. So I guess the classical way to play will suit me more. Theres not many teachers where I live and the ones I contact dont teach fingerpicking/fingerstyle. If theres any online teachers I'll be happy to check out I will just link or post for me. Thanks again
Old 09-20-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Get out and play in front of a live audience. It will push you to new levels. There's no faster way to improve!

If you're not a gigging musician you can easily find open mic nights in local bars and coffee houses. It's a good start and can often lead to a gig, or at least a showcase.
I'm too nervous to ever do that. I'll forever play in my own little room or outside in nature.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

You're missing half the fun of it. Playing for an audience will make you a better player and it will motivate you to practice. When I have a gig coming up I practice!

Everyone gets nervous. It goes away as you gain experience. In the meantime you can always close your eyes and sing. It worked for Rick Nelson. Channel your jitters into energy to fuel your performance and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 09-20-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasunBey13 View Post
I started playing guitar to learn songs I enjoyed listening to.
Great reason and a great motivator.

Quote:
After a while I learned most of the songs I wanted to play.
Then in your opinion you are already there on those songs. Nice.

Quote:
What else would you recommend I can do or anything for that matter to improve my guitar ability

More listening - maybe to a wider variety of guitar music. Find more songs or tunes you like and want to learn and spend time on learning to play some of them. Some technique required in a song you are not sure you can play then work on that specific technique. Be realistic about what you take on, but learning in context of actual music you like is more enjoyable and motivating IMO.

You're playing some music and you feel you have it down? Try recording yourself and listening back with critical ears.

Working on refining your goals leads to the most productive plan of action.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-20-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I'm too nervous to ever do that. I'll forever play in my own little room or outside in nature.

I'm not too nervous to play in front of others, but just prefer to play for myself around the house, on the porch or I like to take a guitar out into a quiet spot in nature and play...it doesn't bother me if a neighbor or a passerby hears me, and I get compliments, but I actually pay them no mind...

And I've lost track of the people who told me when I was starting out that I was missing something by not playing with and/or in front of others...

I tell them that I believe them when they tell me how much they get out of it, and it would be nice if they'd believe me when I say I have no interest and I'm not missing anything...

And good luck to you on your own guitar journey...
Old 09-20-2018, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Screw that. Follow your bliss! Learn to express yourself on the guitar. Learn the vocabulary of the sounds that get your juices flowing. Fall in love with the wonderment of what comes out of you and your guitar.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-21-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Thank you everyone... I will try some classical pieces than. I'm more into Jose Gonzalez, Bert Jansch, Jackson C Frank, Nick Drake, and Bob dylan. Certain folk artists so i don't really want to get into travis picking. So I guess the classical way to play will suit me more. Theres not many teachers where I live and the ones I contact dont teach fingerpicking/fingerstyle. If theres any online teachers I'll be happy to check out I will just link or post for me. Thanks again
I wouldn't recommend starting from a position that you don't want to get into Travis Picking. It's a fundamental technique behind many great fingerstyle pieces. Jansch, Frank and Dylan (when he fingerpicked) use it extensively.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Yes. Slow - and steady. Playing in time is important, all the way up to full speed.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:42 AM

The 1st priority is for you to identify what style of music you like and work towards playing that. It really doesn't make sense to pursue classical if you don't like it.

BUT you like classical tunes, then that's the avenue to proceed & learning some elements of classical playing with also improve your finger style technique. You need to find a flexible teacher who understands that classical may not be your priority in playing.

Suggestions for playing in front of an audience are well meant, but it's not going to improve your playing. A worse case scenario is that it doesn't go well & turns into a train wreck and makes you want to quit playing altogether.

A better suggestion is to find friends that play and get together with them and play... It'll get you exposed to a wide variety of music, styles & dramatically improve your timing.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write