The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-29-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
Just wanted to say the #3 style with Lapacho back and sides came for a 2nd visit on Thursday, and after playing it for about an hour, I can't lowball how impressed I am. It is a little bigger than my 0018vs and incredibly comfortable to hold and play. It's owner has it set up perfectly for me (and him of course). I love the look too. Ultimately tho, this is just a wonderful guitar to hear and I think the guitar is louder than any small guitar I have played or heard. It's owner plays it mostly finger style in alt tunings. I played it with a flat pick. I am lucky enough to have more wonderful guitars than I need, but this one is as nice as any of them. I would love to know a little more about the difference in sound between the #3s and #4s. Would also be interested in the sonic differences between the early 3s and the later #3s due to any design changes. Down the road, some video of these guitars being played are going to grab people. Hope to get the opportunity to play more. Lots of time will end up being spent thinking of what guitar (or 2) would have to go to bring in a Dion. Hit me like the Doerrs, Osthoffs and Froggy Bottoms I played at the show in Harrisburg.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thanks again for the kind words. I’ll sit down with this tomorrow and give you a proper reply!
Old 07-29-2018, 06:01 PM

I’ll have this Guitar back in my shop by Wednesday. It’s going to be a push, but I should have it ready for the Vancouver show!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
Just wanted to say the #3 style with Lapacho back and sides came for a 2nd visit on Thursday, and after playing it for about an hour, I can't lowball how impressed I am. It is a little bigger than my 0018vs and incredibly comfortable to hold and play. It's owner has it set up perfectly for me (and him of course). I love the look too. Ultimately tho, this is just a wonderful guitar to hear and I think the guitar is louder than any small guitar I have played or heard. It's owner plays it mostly finger style in alt tunings. I played it with a flat pick. I am lucky enough to have more wonderful guitars than I need, but this one is as nice as any of them. I would love to know a little more about the difference in sound between the #3s and #4s. Would also be interested in the sonic differences between the early 3s and the later #3s due to any design changes. Down the road, some video of these guitars being played are going to grab people. Hope to get the opportunity to play more. Lots of time will end up being spent thinking of what guitar (or 2) would have to go to bring in a Dion. Hit me like the Doerrs, Osthoffs and Froggy Bottoms I played at the show in Harrisburg.

Jeff

Thanks again for the kind words Jeff, I’m blushing! My guitars are built to be loud and dynamic, I’m thrilled to know that this is what players who play them are experiencing.

The No.03 and the No.04 have a very similar sound, but of course the woods used for either are the biggest determining factor. Both bodies are built exactly the same way including the same bracing. The No.03 is something I designed about 8 years ago, the No.04 was designed just last year. I try to design models, not so much to mimic existing sizes or shapes, but to express an aesthetic that I’m into at the time of design.

The No.03’s prior to the hollow core back and structured sides, sound similar to those built using my current construction method, but there’s just less of it. Less volume and less dynamic range, but still very balanced and even sounding.

If you’re interested in hearing audio, video of the No.04, Guitar Gallery have some up on their site as does Marcus Wong on The Golden Era Guitar site.

If you ever decide to make room for a Dion, we’ll build you a humdinger!

Dion
Old 08-04-2018, 01:21 AM

Old 08-04-2018, 04:29 AM

I love your aesthetic and the guitars sound great in the videos...would love to try one one day!

D
Old 08-04-2018, 06:16 AM

Outstanding Dion!

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

https://www.benjaminpaldacciguitars.com/
Old 08-05-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
I love your aesthetic and the guitars sound great in the videos...would love to try one one day!

D

Thanks for taking a look at my thread and thanks for the kind words! Hopefully you’re able to cross paths with one of my guitars some day.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminPaldacci View Post
Outstanding Dion!

Thanks Ben! See ya soon.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:43 AM

Looks great Dion. Really interesting neck joint and pocket. Could you please explain the , what is apparently, a bridge glueing jig? Never seen anything like it. You make me want to try a laminated back like yours. Do you try and tune it to the top frequency? Russ
Old 09-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGPGuitars View Post
Looks great Dion. Really interesting neck joint and pocket. Could you please explain the , what is apparently, a bridge glueing jig? Never seen anything like it. You make me want to try a laminated back like yours. Do you try and tune it to the top frequency? Russ

Hey Russ, I just noticed this last post of yours. My bridge glueing jig is a vacuum press that i bought from lmii years ago. Works great! The laminated backs are very effective, if you’d like more info on them please send me a message. Thanks for following the thread!
Old 09-20-2018, 08:19 AM

Hey Forum Folks, I thought I’d make a quick post letting everyone know that I’ll be exhibiting this and one other guitar at The Sonore show in Montreal. It looks like it’s going to be a very nice show, it’s the second year running, the organization has been great thus far. Who else from the forum going?

Old 09-22-2018, 05:44 PM

It was a pleasure meeting you at Festival Sonore today, Dion. Great conversation. You make a fine guitar, it will make someone very happy.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

What size fret wire is that?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
What size fret wire is that?

Hello! it’s medium Evo gold fret wire. Crown height .043”, crown width 080”.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Bews View Post
Hello! it’s medium Evo gold fret wire. Crown height .043”, crown width 080”.
Sorta looked like the high stuff. My Brondel came with 0.053” (I think) and I love it. 55070 perhaps? EVO is great stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop