The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM

Default La Patrie 'Motif' Pics

Here a couple of quick pics of my little beaut. Actually, quite a plain Jane, but I really like it's understated elegance. The tone is rich and fairly complex for such a little thang! A real nice surprize....it has quite a bit more volume than many full size classicals I've played. Can you tell I like it??!!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:58 PM

Great little guitar ... it also matches your furniture decor. What's the guitar in the background?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Looks great Poppa!! I like the understated look of this, and most classicals. How would you describe the neck profile on yours? Is it deeper or more shallow? What strings have you settled on so far?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 PM

Dru, the guitar in the background is a $40 'Fullerton' pawn shop prize I just picked up. A real surprize!

I'll have to post a few pics and description of my early 80's Larrivee L-09...another understated beauty and wonderful sounding guitar!

Bryan, I would say the neck profile is fairly shallow. I still have the set of Savarez I've yet to put on due to my hand! I'm going to try some composites at some point though!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Dru, the guitar in the background is a $40 'Fullerton' pawn shop prize I just picked up. A real surprize!

I'll have to post a few pics and description of my early 80's Larrivee L-09...another understated beauty and wonderful sounding guitar!

Bryan, I would say the neck profile is fairly shallow. I still have the set of Savarez I've yet to put on due to my hand! I'm going to try some composites at some point though!
$40 Fullerton? It looks like it has a bound neck as well. Always great to find those hidden beauties.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
$40 Fullerton? It looks like it has a bound neck as well. Always great to find those hidden beauties.
Thanks Dru...yes, it is good to find a treasure. While I know it's not a 'great' guitar, I am impressed with how well it's built, how ewasy it plays and how good it sounds! Even though I had no need for another acoustic, I could not pass it up. I justified the purchase by telling myself.."It's cheap"...."I can flip it quick on craigslist"......"I'll throw a cheap pickup in it and use it for worship"....."I can give it to someone in need"....

Well, as soon as I got it cleaned, adjusted, new set of strings and spent some time with it, I was like "Man...I can't believe how darn good it sounds!"

So, I'm going the latter route with a Neo D pickup from a member here. I picked up an older (but mint) Korg G2 Acoustic processor a while back and it actually sounds real good, so I'll have a nice little acoustic set up to use for Worship. Since I'm pretty much BROKE these days, it's good I'm only out $40 for the guitar, $40 for the processor and $25 for the pickup. Looking forward to adding a new voice to Worship.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Nice looking guitar Pappa and from your description it sounds good. I am also pleased with the Lapatrie Collection I got recently and am going to post some pictures when I get around to it. I have no personal experience with these but from the way your posts sound and based on my experience with the Collection model, these are quite a deal at the prices they sell for.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks OR! I've not had the pleausre to play a Collection, but they sure look nice! Kinda like a parent of the Motif.......with all solid woods, that baby should sing.

I sure agree with you as they are a great value. I purchased mine used off of craigslist, (although it looks brand new) so it was even a better deal, but even buying new, you can't beat the bang for buck aspect of these toneful beauties.

Does the Collection have built in electronics? If so, how does it sound? I'm seriously thinking of adding a pickup to the Motif.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks OR! I've not had the pleausre to play a Collection, but they sure look nice! Kinda like a parent of the Motif.......with all solid woods, that baby should sing.

I sure agree with you as they are a great value. I purchased mine used off of craigslist, (although it looks brand new) so it was even a better deal, but even buying new, you can't beat the bang for buck aspect of these toneful beauties.

Does the Collection have built in electronics? If so, how does it sound? I'm seriously thinking of adding a pickup to the Motif.
Pappa. Mine doesn't have electronics but I think you can get them that way but I'm not 100% sure. I am really pleased with the way mine sounds but it sounds noticeably better with hard tension strings.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 AM

Thats good to know OR....I have a set of Savarez High Tensions to put on the Motif soon. Can't wait to hear/feel the difference.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thats good to know OR....I have a set of Savarez High Tensions to put on the Motif soon. Can't wait to hear/feel the difference.
Thats what I have on mine right now...made a noticeable difference. Let us know what happens

Old 03-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Does the smaller body makes playing above the 12th fret easier?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWG View Post
Does the smaller body makes playing above the 12th fret easier?
Well....my answer would be no. Others may feel differently, but I find it's the same as a full size, non cutaway. I rarely play up there on acoustic anyway, so it's not an issue for me.

It is however, a very fun, rewarding guitar (as are most parlors I've played) to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical