The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 PM

Default La Patrie / Cordoba

Hello everyone. I'm looking for advice on a purchase between the La Patrie Etude and the Cordoba C5. Both guitars are relatively close in price and I was wondering if anyone has played these two models recently. I have played the Cordoba C5 not too long ago, and the La Patrie Etude a long time ago though can't remember too much about it, but that I did like it. I know these are both budget minded guitars, but of the two which is more responsive and generally better toned? - in your opinions, of course. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 PM

Though I have no experience with any of the La Patrie guitars but plan on getting one later. All I can say is I know some have said that the Motif (parlor size) was louder then the Etude.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I'll be watching this thread with great interest.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkinminer View Post
Though I have no experience with any of the La Patrie guitars but plan on getting one later. All I can say is I know some have said that the Motif (parlor size) was louder then the Etude.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I'll be watching this thread with great interest.
Thanks drunkin - funny you metioned the Motif because that is one of the guitars I am actually considering. I noted the Etude because size for size next to the Cordoba. I figured comparing the Motif to the C5 would be more of an apples to oranges comparison while the Etude to the C5 would be more even. Perhaps I should post the Motif vs. the C5.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Hi Bryan,

I have a Motif, so my opinion will be a bit jaded...so take that into acount. Hopefully you can spend some time with all three and find what suits you best.

I've played 4 or 5 C5's, (and all at GC) two Etudes, (one at a nice acoustic shop and the other at a pawn shop) and the only Motif I've played is the one I have now that I got off craigslist.

The C5's I played were OK.....but nothing really grabbed me or stood out. While I liked the Etudes, (and if it was between the C5 and Etude, the Etude would be my choice) again....nothing grabbed me and said 'Take me home NOW!"

When I played the Motif, (and I must admit a soft spot for parlor size guitars) I was smitten by just how alive the tone was. The whole guitar seemed to resonate in my hands and throught my body.......Now, I don't know if all of them are like this or I lucked out, but compared to the C5's and the Etude, the Motif fit perfectly for what I was looking for in a nylon string guitar......price, size, playability, quality, volume and wonderful tone.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Never played the Cordoba but I've owned the Etude since 1997. Great guitar with very simple appointments. Made in Quebec, along with the other Godin brand guitars.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the comments all - much appreciated!! The Motif does look inspiring as I too am a fan or parlor sized guitars. I found a used Ami Nylon for sale but had a couple cracks in the top so passed on it...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical