The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-01-2010, 05:23 PM

Default LapPatrie Concert or Yamaha CG151S Classical Guitar

Thinking about buying one of these and would appreciate any thoughts and info ya'll might have on these two guitars. Thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 07:01 PM

The new Yamaha CG 162 (either cedar or spruce top) can be had for a price that it's similar or lower than the La Patrie Concert. I have a CG162 cedar and it is a great guitar for the price.
The 1 series (151, 171 etc...) has been discontinued.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:31 PM

If it were me, I would want to play both. Both could be total duds, or one (or both) could be overachievers at that price point. Playing them would clear it up.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 PM

The CG151 is being phased out. The CG162 is the 2010 replacement for this model.

If I were buying, I'd put better odds on a Yamaha CG162C (cedar top) or CG162S (spruce top), but your personal taste in tone (and, of course, differences in each individual guitar) may settle the score. Try to play both the Yamahas and the LaPatrie if you can.

Note that the current-model LaPatries have radiused fretboards and truss rods. The Yamahas have the traditional flat fretboards and no truss rods. IMHO, the truss rod is not needed in a classical guitar.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

I've only played one CG151S but it was quite nice, as responsive and balanced (i.e. plenty of treble, not too much bass) as any guitar I've tried in the price range. If you have your eye on a particular '151 somewhere I'd suggest trying it and seeing if you like it. They're nicely built for a mid-level instrument. I've also played a couple of the Flamenco '171 models and one of the two was extremely nice to play.

I've not played a Concert but the other La Patrie nylon string models I have seen were not as responsive as I'd prefer. Very comfy to play with the radiused fretboard and rather slender proportions and not bad sounding, just on the quiet side for my taste. Someone most used to steel-string guitar looking for a "nylon string" rather than a purely classical guitar might very well find a La Patrie more playable.

So try both! The usual not entirely helpful advice I guess...
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 07-02-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I've not played a Concert but the other La Patrie nylon string models I have seen were not as responsive as I'd prefer. Very comfy to play with the radiused fretboard and rather slender proportions and not bad sounding, just on the quiet side for my taste. Someone most used to steel-string guitar looking for a "nylon string" rather than a purely classical guitar might very well find a La Patrie more playable.
Have you ever played a La Patrie Motif? I had one of these for a time and it was a wonderfully responsive guitar. It had a very deep rich sound that completely belied its diminutive size. My problem was it had a fretboard with the same unforgiving lateral dimensions as a traditonal classical.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical