The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-27-2020, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Dumb question #342,587

Why make big 4' acoustic absorbant panels (for example) instead of a "sound treated" 3 sided box that a mic can be placed in?

Would it work?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-27-2020, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

To my thinking, the box is an attempt to block the problematic frequencies; the room treatment is a way to eliminate the problematic frequencies. What I mean is, if you put up bass traps in your corners, you're going to control those low frequencies that can muddy up your recording by not allowing them to bounce around and build up in the room. If you simply build a box, those frequencies are still there bouncing around and building up, you're just hoping the box blocks enough of it.

Given a choice between the two, I'd rather treat the room than build a box in most cases.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-27-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

If using a 'box' around the mic, I'd assume the box exterior should not be reflective (due to the mic being located close to the box). At most, a box may reduce reflections from the back and sides of the mic (which a directional mic would also do) but will not help with reflections coming at the mic on axis). Still, could be better than nothing. Also agreeing with Jim as this would not be the ideal/optimal method.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 10-27-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:34 PM

Google "mic shield" and you will see a lot of options (designed for vocals, I think).

I don't know how effective they will be for acoustic guitar.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:11 PM

You mean like this?

Or like this?

Or maybe even like this?

They have uses for vocals, where you are close-micing, in some situations. Other times they have the potential to make things worse, if there are are any resonances inside the enclosure itself.

The semi-open ones like the first picture also don't completely get rid of the room. Not only the waves still bouncing back into the front of the mic, but sound from the back still travels around the shield some (if you stick a solid panel between you and another person talking, even outside with little reflection, you don't suddenly stop hearing them).

An acoustic guitar is also a much wider field of sound than a voice. Sound information is coming from the entire guitar all the way to the nut, not just the body. Attenuating sounds going to the side areas of the mic might lose some of the guitar character (just guessing here but I don't think the effect would be beneficial).

Thus for guitar what you want is to use those 4' panels to make essentially a much larger version of a box or shield, so the guitar is inside it. That way you pick up the guitar, but hopefully not the reflections of the room around it.

EDIT: Sound on Sound did a test of the effectiveness of mic enclosures for vocals. Key quote, I think: "The main way in which portable vocal booths reduce room reflections is by absorbing the sound before it can escape into the room." Not by stopping reflections coming back. If that's the case, you can see why it wouldn't really do much for a guitar.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:20 PM

I've used a couple brands of the foam-type mic shields, one expensive and one cheap. I didn't like either because they seemed to cause subtle comb filtering.

Using 703 or the like would probably be much better but my room is treated now so...
Old 10-28-2020, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

There are multiple things going on when people talk about room acoustics. Short reflections is one thing - causing everything from audible "slap-back" echo to just lousy tone, and one of these small shield things may help with that, tho as others have pointed out, they may be too small to work with guitar. You generally fit one mic in them. You could also build your own "box" that is larger - which is usually called a "gobo". See Fran Guidry's site for a demo of what a couple of 2x4 panels placed around you does. There is a danger of comb filtering still, but you'd have to see. This is a reasonable solution for someone who can't permanently install something.

The other issue is room resonances. When I first started recording acoustic, I always got a boomy low G on everything. I blamed the guitar, I blamed the mics, I blamed me for playing the note too hard. Turns out the room I was in had a resonance at that frequency. (There are calculators on the web.) Only bass absorbers (or a different room) was going to solve that problem. I'm not sure that a gobo, small or large will eliminate that, tho it may help a little.

Then, of course there's noise, which is a whole other can of worms. Whether some sort of baffle/gobo/box can help with that depends on the noise, but generally, I doubt it would help much. Even my full-room treatment can't eliminate the sound of an airplane or the TV, or the washing machine running in the house.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Why make big 4' acoustic absorbant panels (for example) instead of a "sound treated" 3 sided box that a mic can be placed in?

Would it work?
First because as has been pointed out for acoustic guitar the commercial ones are too small to be of much use:

But :
Backing up to a more fundamental question , (given often ask the wrong questions).
Perhaps the right question is "Why not,,,, 4 ft by 2 ft by 4" to 8" absorber panels ?"

And ultimately :

Because "Home Recording" is a misnomer----- It's Home Recording and Mixing
And always only mixing with Head Phones presents another set of issues .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-29-2020 at 06:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD